Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What damage would be expected by hitting a curb on the freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1997 civic turns to the right??

ok so i noticed that my civic ek coupe turns to the right while im driving. if i let go of the steering wheel or make the steering wheel perfectly straight with the Honda logo on it leveled and all, then it starts turning to the right. you notice it right away. I'd say it turns by about 22 degrees to the right as i drive. I never tampered with the steering wheel or anything, its all stock. I got function and form type 1s on my car. I did an alignment and the problem still persisted. would a bad bearing have any play in it? i think one of my bearings is going out. as i am on the freeway going at high speeds (50 - 80mph) i notice the car starts to shake, more if i let go of the gas. way less if i brake. and i hear a squeaky noise constantly, until i break, then it goes away. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME i hope i provided enough detail. thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: my 1997 civic turns to the right??

YOU did the alignment?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theguy22
ok so i noticed that my civic ek coupe turns to the right while im driving. if i let go of the steering wheel or make the steering wheel perfectly straight with the Honda logo on it leveled and all, then it starts turning to the right. you notice it right away. I'd say it turns by about 22 degrees to the right as i drive. I never tampered with the steering wheel or anything, its all stock. I got function and form type 1s on my car. I did an alignment and the problem still persisted. would a bad bearing have any play in it? i think one of my bearings is going out. as i am on the freeway going at high speeds (50 - 80mph) i notice the car starts to shake, more if i let go of the gas. way less if i brake. and i hear a squeaky noise constantly, until i break, then it goes away. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME i hope i provided enough detail. thanks
Well for starters how did you do the alignment? On an actual alignment rack I hope. Also the next thing I would suggest is to make sure all your lug nuts are properly torqued and that you have between 28-36 psi(depending on your preferance) in your tires and all of them even. It sounds a bit like you have something loose. You could possibly have a loose tie rod end or inner tie rod. You could also have out of balance wheels. The squeaking noise is most likely the brake pads getting low and the squealer contacting the rotor. The noise usually goes away when you brake but is there when you let off the brake and drive. Hopefully this helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can't do a driveway alignment in these cars. they are way too small to get close to perfect. hell i had a lifted chevy on 37's and still was off 3 degrees each side when i took it in to get it done. you can do it yourself, but only to get yourself TO the alignment shop to get it done with the laser system.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I didn't do an alignment. when i said that i meant that it has been performed byBig O tires. wth do i look like, some kinda tweaker?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by natsuke
Well for starters how did you do the alignment? On an actual alignment rack I hope. Also the next thing I would suggest is to make sure all your lug nuts are properly torqued and that you have between 28-36 psi(depending on your preferance) in your tires and all of them even. It sounds a bit like you have something loose. You could possibly have a loose tie rod end or inner tie rod. You could also have out of balance wheels. The squeaking noise is most likely the brake pads getting low and the squealer contacting the rotor. The noise usually goes away when you brake but is there when you let off the brake and drive. Hopefully this helps.
yeah i torqued all my lug nuts to 80 pounds with a torque wrench. always torque em crosswords too. i didnt check the tie rod. i will make sure its all tightened. yeah the noise comes right back when i let go of the break. i hear the noise about 60% of the time when I'm driving.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM
pm4nudes

What the before and after specs on the alignment? What's the setting on the f&f? Jack up your car and check to see if everything is tight. Report back with findings.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM
pm4nudes

Originally Posted by theguy22
yeah i torqued all my lug nuts to 80 pounds with a torque wrench. always torque em crosswords too. i didnt check the tie rod. i will make sure its all tightened. yeah the noise comes right back when i let go of the break. i hear the noise about 60% of the time when I'm driving.
If the bearing is causing your wheel to turn then you should be able to tell by jacking it up and wiggling it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a bad tire . Jack your car up and switch ur two front tires to te opposite side if it starts to pull to the left then u have a bad tire .
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the alignment re checked. I have had to go back a few times to get it right.

Jack the front end up and use a cheater bar under the tire and watch for play in each of the components.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default What damage would be expected by hitting a curb on the freeway?

i know you're probably like "wtf?? curb on the freeway??" but in CA, along with other stupid ****. THERE ARE CURBS ON THE FREEWAY. so i got function and form type 1 suspension on my car, and i hit like a kinda small curb on the freeway today while i was trying to merge onto an exit a lil late. anyways i noticed the curb right when i was ganna get on it, and boom!!!! i thought my front end was gone. but surprisingly nothing was damaged. i dont think the bumper hit it. anyways i notice a bubble on the tire now. i hit the curb like in an angle, so my right front tire hit first. i don't know how it works or how i didn't get damage but ****, it beats me. now I'm wondering what else can be damaged? where should i check? thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: what happens if i hit a curb on the freeway?

check all suspension components on that side for bends, breaks, torn bushings, anything that looks weird. i'd replace that tire sooner rather than later.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should be off your cell phone and paying attention to where you are going. ive had my license now for 9 years and haven't once hit a curb.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1-Learn to drive.
2-Pay attention while driving.
3-Replace tire immediately.
4-Get an alignment.
5-Inspect car for real damage. This part does not include staring at said car and scratching your head. Actually get underneath said car. If you don't know what you are looking for, take said car to a reputable shop.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Added bit of info, if you do actually get under there and start looking, easiest way to see anything bent is just to compare to other side components. Imma guess front lca is a bit bent.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like people have said, you need to replace that tire now, and you need to get an alignment, now. Don't waste your time looking for bent stuff - just let the shop do it while they're doing the alignment. If anything is bent, they most likely will not be able to align the car, and if you blew out a strut, they'll tell you.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How the hell do you not see a freaking curb?!

Anyways, I agree with above, check for damage.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What damage would be expected by hitting a curb on the freeway?

Buy a good set of walking shoes and maybe a public transportation pass, pending on car damage.

You should not be driving.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin6
Buy a good set of walking shoes and maybe a public transportation pass, pending on car damage.

You should not be driving.
I disagree, run the opposite side of the said vehicle into a curb and equal out the damage. Think outside the box people.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
I disagree, run the opposite side of the said vehicle into a curb and equal out the damage. Think outside the box people.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

totaled
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man

hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
you should be off your cell phone and paying attention to where you are going. ive had my license now for 9 years and haven't once hit a curb.
I second this post. Ive been driving for years in the country and never hit anything and also have been driving legally on roads no problem for years aswell. no curbs unless I do it oj purpose with my Tahoe but yea get off the phone stop doin ur makeup lol and pay attention to the road
Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

O yea and the tire is bad. When you hit the curb it broke the metal inside of the tire causeing the bump and then the tire will get a whole and next morning u will end uo with a blown tire
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok so the problem is gone now. changed tires and got an alignment. i don't notice the weird shaking when i speed up to 80 mph. and it doesn't turn to the right anymore. im sure the tires were the fix for both of em. i had an alignment done with the old tires before and it still shifted to the right. same with the shaking haha. so... NEW TIRES!!!

Quick Reply: What damage would be expected by hitting a curb on the freeway?