Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what causes my oil to dirty up so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what causes my oil to dirty up so fast?

just changed it like 1k miles ago, now its almost black. i use mobil 1 5w30 on my d16y8. I used to use the "extended" performance stuff but somebody told me it wasnt fully synthetic, so i bought the cheaper mobil 1.

No it seems that my oil is pretty black so soon. Usually it lasts alot longer then that. I change the filter with a the mobil1 m1-104 every 3k miles (every oil change)

could it be my K&N filter? i have swaped out my SRI with the OEM airbox and a fram filter...or could it be other problems?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before u change your oil next time, gunk sells a engine flush that u put in your oil and it removes varnish and sludge in your engine
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondachris1994)

run tranny fluid for 5 min.... cleans the **** out of it
Old 01-27-2007, 04:18 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for some Seafoam!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blue_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run tranny fluid for 5 min.... cleans the **** out of it </TD></TR></TABLE>

in the oil?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run tranny fluid for 5 min.... cleans the **** out of it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut up man.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bsixteen)

in the oil and or vacuum line. seafoam.

and also, castor based oils turn black faster.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shut up man.</TD></TR></TABLE>
speaking from experince here... use to work at a quick lube. tranny fluid has detergants that cleans really well. drain the oil, put tranny fluid in, run for 5 min, drain, run new oil w/ new filter for 5 min, replace with new oil and filter. did in my own personal car. works pretty good.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
speaking from experince here... use to work at a quick lube. tranny fluid has detergants that cleans really well. drain the oil, put tranny fluid in, run for 5 min, drain, run new oil w/ new filter for 5 min, replace with new oil and filter. did in my own personal car. works pretty good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd rather use a good 'ol can of seafoam any day.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:46 PM

yea the old seafoam used to be my buddy, id whoop out a can every effing month....now my engine has 170k miles on it, id only run the seafoam in the summer, and only in the IM.

Ive set up an oil catch can system to trap all the dirty vapors and shoot. Im not running **** through my engine, ive already done this last summer, i doubt this is my problem.

also i run cheveron techron 1nce a month through the gas...

honestly i think it was my K&N, it was bringing in oily **** and not filtering out all the stuff.. check out bobistheoilguy.com and look at the reviews of the K&N vs napa, it didnt filter out as good as i thought.

Something is leaking past the rings i assume.....
Old 01-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: what causes my oil to dirty up so fast? (YoungKadafi)

do you run it pretty hard? also what is your mileage?

one thing i always look at to get an idea of the condition of an engine's internals is to just pull the oil cap off and look in there at the color of the rocker assembly. you want a gold or light brown color. if it's black or dark brown it's a sign it hasn't been taken care of by the previous owner.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:46 PM

last owner was a honda mechanic, babied....its 170k miles
Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

rules that out...
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM

i put some gunk in, and let it run for 5 mins idiling when the car was still hot, then drained it right after (still hot)
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Just because your oil turn dark or black doesn't exactly mean it's dirty.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: (entityzero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by entityzero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because your oil turn dark or black doesn't exactly mean it's dirty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. my bro's car was like that too. after an oil change, the oil turns dark pretty quick but that doesnt mean its no good. he still ran it up to 3k without a problem and hes been at it for 3 yrs now.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM

yea but thats dealing with a memory window of like 2 months, ive been changing my oil for almost 3 years now, every month and ive noticed a change...its all a pattern and this time it got dirty ALOT quicker....

Also to add, my oil light stays on for about 1/2 second after i start my car in the cold...dont know if that has something to do with it.....the oil being dirty i mean
Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG Seafoam end of story good god.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMG Seafoam end of story good god.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm no. Even after 1k miles, oil will be as black as it is after a full oil change interval. It is just what happens. There is no need for seafoam or anything else, it is just natural. What happened to all the tech help?

-Shane
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM

its good to use some kind of cleaner once in a while tho.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its good to use some kind of cleaner once in a while tho. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not saying that it's not good to use seafoam or another type of engine cleaner. I've used seafoam in my car a few times. But Like I said, engine oil will come out black after 1,000 miles as it will after 3,000 miles, so it should be no worry.

-Shane
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: what causes my oil to dirty up so fast? (YoungKadafi)

WHY OIL NEEDS TO BE CHANGED

Regardless of an oil's API service rating or additive package, all motor oils eventually wear out and have to be changed (actually, it's the additives that wear out more so than the oil). As the miles add up, motor oil loses viscosity and gets dirty. The oil no longer has the same viscosity range it had when it was new, and it contains a lot of gunk (moisture and acids from combustion blowby, soot, dirt and particles of metal from normal wear). You can't really tell much about the condition of the oil by its appearance alone because most oil turns dark brown or black after a few hundred miles of use.

The oil filter will trap most of the solid contaminants, and the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system will siphon off most of the moisture and blowby vapors -- if the engine gets hot enough and runs long enough to boil the contaminants out of the oil. Even so, after several thousand miles of driving many of the essential additives in the oil that control viscosity, oxidation, wear and corrosion are badly depleted. At this point, the oil begins to break down and provides much less lubrication and protection than when it was new. If the oil is not changed, the oil may start to gel or form engine-damaging varnish and sludge deposits -- and eventually cause the engine to fail!

Oil life depends on many factors including driving conditions (speed, load, idle time, etc.), environmental factors (temperature, humidity, airborne dirt), and engine wear. As a general rule, most experts still recommend changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or six months, which ever comes first. Why? Because this provides the best all-round protection for the average driver.

More at http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man that light staying on any longer than it should would bother me a bit. as soon as the motor has adequate oil pressure the light should be off.

i wonder if the two symptoms are related at all, that is the oil color and the light staying on for a sec...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (hondamark35)

yea it does worry me....but it is REALLY cold here. But the light stays on for seriously less than a second after i startup. And im thinking there might be a relation

Im sorry if I didnt make this more clear, its not normal black, its almost like its sooty gunky black. I take the dipstick out and its so dark i cant even see through the oil onto the white paper towel....its almost like sludge, but still in a liquid form.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you letting your car fully warm up? If your taking kinda short trips over and over you can have condensation build up in your oil. Running rich hurts as well- bad O2, temp sensor...

Quick Reply: what causes my oil to dirty up so fast?