Old 09-26-2004, 08:31 AM
WHEEL Slayer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is this called?*pics*

The selt belt thingy

Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: what is this called?*pics* (JustHere4ADay)

Looks custom because i never seen anyone use seat belt clips for a harness.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called a harness.

The way that one is set up is VERY dangerous. The angle the belt enters and supports your shoulders is calling for spine reconstruction in an accident.

If you don't have a support bar going from pillar to pillar behind the seat and mounting the harness there, don't do it.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

TurboPanda's old car isn't it? Don;t you need roll cages for those harnesses? I mean if you're involved in a rollover accident, there's no way in hell you'll be able to move and avoid gettin crushed by the roof. I'm sure it'll snap the shiet out of your spine just like what happened to Dale Earnhardt Sr.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TurboPanda's old car isn't it? Don;t you need roll cages for those harnesses? I mean if you're involved in a rollover accident, there's no way in hell you'll be able to move and avoid gettin crushed by the roof. I'm sure it'll snap the shiet out of your spine just like what happened to Dale Earnhardt Sr.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hate people
Old 09-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (yanta)

don't hate, appreciate
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I mean if you're involved in a rollover accident, there's no way in hell you'll be able to move and avoid gettin crushed by the roof.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean to tell me that you can move out of the way of a crushing roof while you're being tossed around in a car that is rolling over to avoid injury? ...riiiight.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:51 AM

When i had my accident, some how i was able to do that, but i dont remember it =\
Old 09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WeakEK)

Ok to clarify yes those are a type of harness. Even Sparco has a harness like that. It is called a 3-poitn harness since it mounts to the car via three points. THe camlock seatbelt buckle is so you can disconnect the harness to accomodate rear passengers.

Having harnesses and rollcages are a myth. You do not need them. If you are driving dangerously enough to flip over then you may need a roll cage. Harnesses are jsut super seatbelts. I have a 4-point 3inch wide Sabelt harness. The camlock disengages the belts with a simple twist of the buckle. So if you were able to duck while your car is flipping, highly skeptical cause many people would be scarred sh!tless to even react, you have time to flick that thing and duck.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Solscud007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solscud007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok to clarify yes those are a type of harness. Even Sparco has a harness like that. It is called a 3-poitn harness since it mounts to the car via three points. THe camlock seatbelt buckle is so you can disconnect the harness to accomodate rear passengers.

Having harnesses and rollcages are a myth. You do not need them. If you are driving dangerously enough to flip over then you may need a roll cage. Harnesses are jsut super seatbelts. I have a 4-point 3inch wide Sabelt harness. The camlock disengages the belts with a simple twist of the buckle. So if you were able to duck while your car is flipping, highly skeptical cause many people would be scarred sh!tless to even react, you have time to flick that thing and duck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A myth? It is a proven fact that mounting a harness in the wrong position can and WILL break your back in the case of an accident. If you don't have a harness bar (not just a cage, you can have a cage and still not have anywhere to mount them or a harness bar and no cage) then just don't do it.

EDIT: The way it releases and being able to duck in a rollover has nothing to do with it either. When the belts are mounted lower than your shoulders, in an accident it puts a tremendous amount of pressure downwards on your spine that otherwise would be distributed over your chest through the normal shoulder straps.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Electrician

If the angle of the approach is too much, in a frontal collision, your spine WILL be compressed and can lead to your back breaking or even getting paralyzed.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Solscud007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solscud007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Having harnesses and rollcages are a myth. You do not need them. If you are driving dangerously enough to flip over then you may need a roll cage. Harnesses are jsut super seatbelts. I have a 4-point 3inch wide Sabelt harness. The camlock disengages the belts with a simple twist of the buckle. So if you were able to duck while your car is flipping, highly skeptical cause many people would be scarred sh!tless to even react, you have time to flick that thing and duck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The back injuries that can result from having your harness mounted like that, has nothing to do with being able to duck incase of a roll over. haha
Old 09-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a sparce harness bar
Old 09-26-2004, 10:08 AM
WHEEL Slayer

Default Re: (robbieshonda)

600.00 i dont have

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robbieshonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a sparce harness bar</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JustHere4ADay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustHere4ADay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">600.00 i dont have

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then save the money your wasting on harnesses as well. Your just putting yourself in danger because you want to look cool.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

Damn this has turned into a very good thread, also very scary thread. What would be a correct way to have a 4 point harness mounted that it wont break your spine incase of an accident?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

I would also like to know.....
Old 09-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn this has turned into a very good thread, also very scary thread. What would be a correct way to have a 4 point harness mounted that it wont break your spine incase of an accident? </TD></TR></TABLE>

To a harness bar that runs right behind the openings in the seat at shoulder level. If you look on the sites that sell them I'm sure someone has a picture.

EDIT: The lap mounting points can go at the base of the seat.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

all that rollover stuff aside,

seriously, his harness is not set up correctly to begin with.

I believe the mounting point is supposed to be up higher or something.

not 100% sure,
but I was told what it was and i'm pretty sure this is the wrong way to do it.

**** messing around with lifesaving devices, unless you know what your doin is right.

even if you are "turbopanda" or whatever..
Old 09-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

what this thread needs is a picture of the *CORRECT* way to mount a harness.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Electrician

Sorry, no picture. I'm sure you can search the Appearance/Cosmetic and find one there.

But the angle that the harness enters the seat needs to be as minimal as possible. The straighter, the better. The more "downward" angle there is, the more it will cause you pinch your spine like this:

)

EDIT:

MINIMAL angle as possible.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So do you want the harness go completely straight through the seat holes or should there be some kind of angle to it?
Old 09-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, no picture. I'm sure you can search the Appearance/Cosmetic and find one there.

But the angle that the harness enters the seat needs to be as minimal as possible. The straighter, the better. The more "downward" angle there is, the more it will cause you pinch your spine like this:

MINIMAL angle as possible.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is very true
Old 09-26-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (toEknEEg)

its DOT approved tho
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99CivicExCoupe)

IMO.....

i dont care for tests or whatnot...

i'd absolutely love to run these harness just to look cool, seriously....

but i will not endanger my life and risk being paralyzed for life just to run them. doesn't matter if it has been proven or not, i cannot take that risk....

and yeah, that setup is badass

Quick Reply: what is this called?*pics*