Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what is best a b16b or a b18c1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is best a b16b or a b18c1?

can anyone help me decide which should i get a civic type r motor or a gsr motor????
Old 02-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (got3secb1tch)

depends on your plans as far as building the car.I think its all personal preference.goodluck
Old 02-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (modedicebox)

Your talking about a big jump in price and what really sucks is that the more expensive doesnt really have that much more HP then the other. And it doesnt even have TQ.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B16b. Good luck finding one. Make sure the numbers match. A red valve cover dont mean ****.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (ONE.SIX SI)

umm i'd say going b18bc1 with ctr pistons with civic type intake cam and itr exhaust and u'll be real quick
Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (v-6 hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v-6 hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm i'd say going b18bc1 with ctr pistons with civic type intake cam and itr exhaust and u'll be real quick </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (v-6 hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v-6 hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm i'd say going b18bc1 with ctr pistons with civic type intake cam and itr exhaust and u'll be real quick </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear a b18c1 with ctr pistons makes your car run too high of compression ratio and causes big problems
Old 02-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (spankey167)

since when is 12.6 to high? its a great set up for a cheap price that is really really realible. i'd run that set up baller on a budget style all day long. so what is the problem ?

uhh p.s. don't ind my spelling. and i a not trying to argue its just a great setup for cheap
Old 02-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know what is the difference in price between them two?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:19 AM

about for a motor probbally aboiut 700 bucks. but ctr's are real hard to find and not cheap
Old 02-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Aight.
You guys are idiots.
Here it is.
B16b = 185hp (around $4,000 for complete swap, decent mileage)
B18c1= 170hp (around $3,400 for complete swap, v. good mileage)

They are two different monsters. One loves revvin (CTR), and the other puts out torque (GSR).
So it depends on what you use it for. I live in a country where JDM CTR's can be bought for the price of a normal Si coupe there. My friend has a PY CTR, and that thing is a TRACK GOD. There are many other options; LsVtec or Ls Turbo, B20Vtec(NA or turbo), GSR turbo, strokers. Just depends what you want.

Basic Facts:
B16b is a destroked 1.8 b18c5.
All you need is a b16b with an LS/GSR/TYPE R crank and you have basically made a Type R engine.
And you get:
-LSD
-Close ratio transmission
-Better compression
-Better Intake manifold
-Better head
-Wider, more usable powerband

If you get a gsr, you will have to spend more money to get the above mentioned items put into it.
To add to that, a CTR with just an Ls crank would basically be an ITR. You save $600 bucks by buyin a b18c1, how much does an LSD cost? find one for less than $600 (new) and you are god.
Then you gotta buy CTR pistons, CTR Intake cams, and ITR exhaust cams. How much do those cost to buy? You people are retarded. Why the hell would you buy an engine thats less expensive just to put stuff in from the one thats more expensive. If youre gona do that, then just screw it n buy a damn b18c5.

If you stroke the b16 motor by installing a new crank you will get more torque and displacement. And just add to the horsepower. So if you are willing to buy a GSR engine and put in CTR internals, go right the **** ahead. I'll take a b16b with a ls crank and ill whoop all yall. Thank you, Goodnight.

Modified by MaliciousTypeR at 11:19 PM 2/23/2005
Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (MaliciousTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaliciousTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight.
You guys are idiots.
Here it is.

They are two different monsters. One loves revvin (CTR), and the other puts out torque (GSR).
So it depends on what you use it for. I live in a country where JDM CTR's can be bought for the price of a normal Si coupe there. My friend has a PY CTR, and that thing is a TRACK GOD. There are many other options; LsVtec or Ls Turbo, B20Vtec(NA or turbo), GSR turbo, strokers. Just depends what you want.

Basic Facts:
B16b is a destroked 1.8 b18c1.
All you need is a b16b with an LS/GSR/TYPE R crank and you have basically made a Type R engine.
And you get:
-LSD
-Better compression
-Better Intake manifold
-Better head

If you get a gsr, you will have to spend more money to get the above mentioned items put into it.
To add to that, a CTR with just an Ls crank would basically be an ITR. You save $600 bucks by buyin a b18c1, how much does an LSD cost? find one for less than $600 (new) and you are god.
Then you gotta buy CTR pistons, CTR Intake cams, and ITR exhaust cams. How much do those cost to buy? You people are retarded. Why the hell would you buy an engine thats less expensive just to put stuff in from the one thats more expensive. If youre gona do that, then just screw it n buy a damn b18c5.

If you stroke the b16 motor by installing a new crank you will get more torque and displacement. And just add to the horsepower. So if you are willing to buy a GSR engine and put in CTR internals, go right the **** ahead. I'll take a b16b with a ls crank and ill whoop all yall. Thank you, Goodnight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NICE! Exactly! were talking about a B16B CTR 185HP motor compared to a B18C1 GSR 170Hp not a B16A 160hp towards a B18C 200HP[/B] Why would u buy the CTR internals such as pistons, camshafts, and lightened retainers which is like almost a 1k when the b16b already has it all? Good **** Malicious Type R, mad propz

Modified by SA_SoLcHyLD at 10:54 PM 2/23/2005

Modified by SA_SoLcHyLD at 10:57 PM 2/23/2005

Modified by SA_SoLcHyLD at 10:58 PM 2/23/2005

Modified by SA_SoLcHyLD at 11:00 PM 2/23/2005

Modified by SA_SoLcHyLD at 11:00 PM 2/23/2005
Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (SA_SoLcHyLD)

GSR - B18C1
Old 02-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaliciousTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight.
You guys are idiots.
Here it is.

Basic Facts:
B16b is a destroked 1.8 b18c1.
And you get:
-LSD
-Better compression
-Better Intake manifold
-Better head

If you stroke the b16 motor by installing a new crank you will get more torque and displacement. And just add to the horsepower. So if you are willing to buy a GSR engine and put in CTR internals, go right the **** ahead. I'll take a b16b with a ls crank and ill whoop all yall. Thank you, Goodnight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good points, but do you seriously think that this guy knows or even wants to swap cranks? He's asking all of us which motor to buy so I seriously doubt he's looking to redo a bottom end. Not only does he have to buy a crank, he has to buy new rod bearings, main bearings, thrust washers, and piston rings. That **** adds up. I say go for the GSR motor if those are your only choices. Its a great platform you can build off of in the future and comes with close horsepower and more torque. Just my opinions, so please don't take my comments as an argument. You had some good points, besides calling everybody idiots
Old 02-23-2005, 10:22 PM

well lets just member this guys from thailand. You go ahead with the B16B, oh and for the price are u kidding me? i bought a whole gsr jdm front clip for $2800 shipped just gotta know what shops to go to..i bet he can get the clip for a gsr for $3200 then sell the gsr RHD conversion for $500 then what? $2700 full swap baby..and just the swap here is $2800 i dont know where u guys shop...but yes the B16b is a de stroked 1.8. But heres the thing. i really doubt he wants to replace the crank and rods etc. and torque is way harder to come across then HP.

also let me give u an example here the sti has what 300hp and the evo mr has 273.. big difference right? WRONG!! because on a dyno they are only putting down 240 each! the same hp to the ground...so i guarantee u take that B16b and a b18c1 on a dyno and whp wont be too off from eachother..crank hp means nothin jack! its how it hits teh ground that matters..i say follow my lead, gsr crx baby
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (tRex99)

Aight this is still malicious (damn 5 post thing is a bitch).

JDMH22HATCH : Im not arguing either; just stating facts. Got a little carried away when i called all of you guys idiots; i apologize. I just wanted to let him know what really is possible with a B16b and how much potential it has. My point was if you had a GSR you would have to get the LSD, ITR/CTR transmission, CTR pistons, and intake cams for it to be a good NA car. Why do that when you can just buy an engine with everything already there?

tRex99 : Yes i live in thailand. Im quoting prices you get in the states, doesnt mean thats what i pay. I get full JDM ITR front clips for $2k w/ hid, you guys are the ones gettin screwed, im just telling you which engine is better. BTW, you will get more torque after you stroke to a 1.8...some concept as stroking a 1.8 to a 2.0 liter (more torque + hp). And as a FACT...the CTR transmission is better than the GSR on any given day so YES it would put down more power because there is less drivetrain loss. When i said 185 for CTR and 170 for GSR it was at crank. But as for as power to the ground goes. The better transmission will put down the most power; no if's and's or but's. And you get a stock LSD = no wheelspin. So you have better traction + power + transmission with closer ratio's. Why wouldnt you want to buy a B16b??? Just cause it has like 10 lb/ft less torque... that would be gained back x2 when you stroke it back to 1.8!? Did i miss something?

Sorry i sound like an eliteist ******* (like others on H-T) but have either of you truely driven an EK9 CTR ?? You would completely understand my perspective if you have.
I dont want anybody to take me as being hostile; i apologize in advance if i offend anyone

Modified by illusive-typeR at 12:15 AM 2/24/2005
Old 02-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (illusive-typeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusive-typeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight this is still malicious (damn 5 post thing is a bitch).

JDMH22HATCH : Im not arguing either; just stating facts. Got a little carried away when i called all of you guys idiots; i apologize. I just wanted to let him know what really is possible with a B16b and how much potential it has. My point was if you had a GSR you would have to get the LSD, ITR/CTR transmission, CTR pistons, and intake cams for it to be a good NA car. Why do that when you can just buy an engine with everything already there?

tRex99 : Yes i live in thailand. Im quoting prices you get in the states, doesnt mean thats what i pay. I get full JDM ITR front clips for $2k w/ hid, you guys are the ones gettin screwed, im just telling you which engine is better. BTW, you will get more torque after you stroke to a 1.8...some concept as stroking a 1.8 to a 2.0 liter (more torque + hp). And as a FACT...the CTR transmission is better than the GSR on any given day so YES it would put down more power because there is less drivetrain loss. When i said 185 for CTR and 170 for GSR it was at crank. But as for as power to the ground goes. The better transmission will put down the most power; no if's and's or but's. And you get a stock LSD = no wheelspin. So you have better traction + power + transmission with closer ratio's. Why wouldnt you want to buy a B16b??? Just cause it has like 10 lb/ft less torque... that would be gained back x2 when you stroke it back to 1.8!? Did i miss something?

Sorry i sound like an eliteist ******* (like others on H-T) but have either of you truely driven an EK9 CTR ?? You would completely understand my perspective if you have.
I dont want anybody to take me as being hostile; i apologize in advance if i offend anyone </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand what you are saying. But with a thinner headgasket, better cams, intake mani, stiffer valve springs and retainers, some tuning, and a b16 tranny with a quaife he'd be fine. And thats without dissassembling the bottom end. B16b complete swaps don't run around $4000 here in the states. They are more expensive. And stock LSD's are crap if you start to make good power. He could sell his GSR tranny for $700 or more, and buy a b16 with a quaife for $1300. All the other mods aren't that expensive and with the $1500 or more that he would be saving from the cost of the motor, he could do those mods easily. Tearing apart a motor and redoing the shortblock will cost him around $1200 + easily from any shop including parts.

And as for experience with the motors, no I haven't driven a rhd civic with CTR motor. But torque in b16's suck My g/f has a turbo b16 that makes 300whp and the torque still blows
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (JDMH22HATCH)

Like i said earlier:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusive-typeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are many other options; LsVtec or Ls Turbo, B20Vtec(NA or turbo), GSR turbo, strokers. Just depends what you want.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It all depends on what he uses it for. For the track that lack of torque is actually a blessing in disguise (less torque steer which makes exiting corners Soooo much easier). But i see what you mean if he just wants to drag race. There are lots of options. Im not saying the GSR is complete ****; im saying what would yield good numbers and be an all round great car to drive. I understand that the b16b has less torque...whether he will pull apart the shortblock is up to him...but if it does he will get torque back by stroking to 1.8 liter which would be great for a NA car since its got really high compression. The GSR is a perfect platform for a turbo, on that ... but if he wanst to go all motor getting a GSR just to bump up compression is stupid since it already comes with low compression to begin with. So i just say wait until he has a path he wants to travel down (track / drag / autocross) and then we give him advice accordingly... otherwise quite honestly we'd be at this all month.
Truce till he knows what he wants to do with his car? or ?

Quick question: Was ur girls car stroked up or left as a 1.6?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personal preference and what your intentions are
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusive-typeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> otherwise quite honestly we'd be at this all month.
Truce till he knows what he wants to do with his car? or ?

Quick question: Was ur girls car stroked up or left as a 1.6? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, so true

Her car is not stroked. Just b16 turbo
Old 02-24-2005, 12:07 AM

Lol, ive seen threads like this run for almost a month with 2 or 3 people arguing intensely and another person talking some jibber-jabber just to put up posts.

Is a T3/T4 or TD04 setup? Whats the quarter on the LS-T and b16a?

got3secb1tch: What do you intend to do with this swap (drag / track / autocross / 4x4 ..lol)??? What car is this going in? Whats your budget? Do you have ANY technical engine knowledge (as in engine tear down)?

Need a briefing before a full report can be issued. Echo Bravo, Out. (insert that sound walkie talkies make when you let go of the button)
Old 02-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusive-typeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is a T3/T4 or TD04 setup? Whats the quarter on the LS-T and b16a?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The b16 runs a custom setup. Revhard mani, T3/To4e, spearco fmic, custom downpipe and IC piping, Precision 880 cc injectors, Hondata s200b, Inline Pro rail, Walbro 255, Skunk2 IM, JG 70mm tb, and a bunch of other ****. Hasn't been to a track and need to see a dyno. Old motor with old intake mani and throttle body made 281/186 at 7 lbs.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hope i'm not opening another can of worms...but how about a JDM GSR motor?
it's got 180hp at the crank and if you look around, i'm sure you can find one with the optional LSD as well...tranny isn't as tight as a B16 tranny, but i'm sure you can find an ITR 4.7 final?

not too expensive anymore either....there's one where i'm at for under 4Gs (canadian dollars) installed.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is best a b16b or a b18c1? (Mashimaro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mashimaro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's one where i'm at for under 4Gs (canadian dollars) installed.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, $4000 installed Canadian is a bangin deal
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM

Pimp setup...id be scared to meet it on a road. But id still race and have my *** handed to me, by you in your girlfriends car -sob-.

You guys in the states are still gettin screwed on JDM Engines and parts... Its absolutely amazing how much money you guys get ripped off for.

This is about the cost over here:

1998 JDM RHD CTR = $16,000
1998 JDM RHD CTR FRONT CLIP = $1.75 - 2.5k depending on mileage

1998 JDM RHD ITR (DC2) =$17,500 - $18,000
1998 JDM RHD ITR FRONT CLIP w/ HID = $2-3k depending on mileage

And you guys dont even get the clips, you get just whats necessary for the swap thats been sittin around for who knows how long at a shipyard somewhere. May i suggest a mass migration to an asian country? Foods not bad either

Modified by illusive-typeR at 2:20 AM 2/24/2005

Quick Reply: what is best a b16b or a b18c1?