Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Were rear foglights actually an original part on 96-00 hatches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were rear foglights actually an original part on 96-00 hatches?

As the title states...were these:

original on any 96-00 hatch? UKDM? EDM? JDM? whatever. I just want to know a little more information on them. Were they offered for 96-00 hatches somewhere, or are people just taking them from another vehicle that they were OEM on and retrofitting them to a 96-00 hatch? Also if they were offered in 96-00 hatches, does anyone know what kind of switch was used? Does it look just like an oem front foglights switch?

Thanks for any info.
p.s. I don't want an argument on whether or not these look good or are functional etc. I just want some legit info on the originality of them. (I'm thinking NOFX or Eran should have the info i need )
Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Were rear foglights actually an original part on 96-00 hatches? (alacard)

Old 12-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i believe they were ukdm and maybe also edm an they were stock parts...may be incorrect
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep - incorrect.

Those particular rear foglights are OEM equipment in the UK and Europe for 88-91 Honda Civic hatchbacks and 90-93 Honda Integras.

The stock rear foglights for just about every Honda since 1992 in Europe has been integrated into the rear tail lamp.

That also may be a DC/DB rear foglight from Japan as well. The 94-01 Integra's in Japan had that as an option since a rear foglight is not standard (nor required) equipment in Japan.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep - incorrect.

Those particular rear foglights are OEM equipment in the UK and Europe for 88-91 Honda Civic hatchbacks and 90-93 Honda Integras.

The stock rear foglights for just about every Honda since 1992 in Europe has been integrated into the rear tail lamp.

That also may be a DC/DB rear foglight from Japan as well. The 94-01 Integra's in Japan had that as an option since a rear foglight is not standard (nor required) equipment in Japan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always thought that rear foglights in the bumper looked bad.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

the one thing i do know about these is that the switch is located by the Ebrake handle. those 4 little spots on either side are for switches, and i know one is for the rear foglight.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the one thing i do know about these is that the switch is located by the Ebrake handle. those 4 little spots on either side are for switches, and i know one is for the rear foglight. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that is also incorrect. The center console foglight switch is for when the two dash accessory slots are filled. It's also not exclusively for the EK/EJ chassis. I believe it came into production around 1993 or 1994 for use in 5th Gen Civic and Del Sols.

The EDM EK/EJ foglight switch actually goes on place of the dimmer switch on the driver's side vent. Most other markets do not have dimmer switches utilized on their cars. It's a North American thing (mostly to do with USDOT laws).

The DC/DB foglight switch is located underneath the cluster to the left (or is it right) of the steering column. It's a round button.

The EF has a rectangular foglight button that goes on the dash.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info Eran. Not exactly what I wanted to hear...but atleast its accurate . In the even that I did put it in a 96-00 hatch, would I have any oem options for an interior switch for it? Or would my best bet be to just wire it up to the same switch as front fog lights?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info Eran. Not exactly what I wanted to hear...but atleast its accurate . In the even that I did put it in a 96-00 hatch, would I have any oem options for an interior switch for it? Or would my best bet be to just wire it up to the same switch as front fog lights?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have the option for the EDM switch that goes where the dimmer/cruse switches go, or the center console foglight switch (available from http://www.jdmland.com).
Old 12-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I always thought that rear foglights in the bumper looked bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didn't want to get into the opinion argument...but since you mentioned it, I like them because they are different. I like my cars to be different. You get sick of seeing the same kind of aesthetic mods on hondas. (I'm by no means saying that I would be a pioneer by putting in a rear foglight on a 96-00 hatch, but it is definitely one of the less common mods you can do)
Old 12-22-2007, 11:16 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I didn't want to get into the opinion argument...but since you mentioned it, I like them because they are different. I like my cars to be different. You get sick of seeing the same kind of aesthetic mods on hondas. (I'm by no means saying that I would be a pioneer by putting in a rear foglight on a 96-00 hatch, but it is definitely one of the less common mods you can do)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, the rear fog in the bumper is a far more common modification than getting the real part from Europe. Yes, they're a dime a dozen in Europe (because they're stock and required by law), but you live in America where it's super rare to have a set of EDM tail lamps (or EDM anything for that matter).

Nobody wants to listen to me, but I've been on it for a while. EDM is the new hotness.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You have the option for the EDM switch that goes where the dimmer/cruse switches go, or the center console foglight switch (available from http://www.jdmland.com).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Any clue on where to look for that EDM switch? And would the jdmland foglight switch look off since it would be black and the interior color of a hatch is typically type K?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honestly, the rear fog in the bumper is a far more common modification than getting the real part from Europe. Yes, they're a dime a dozen in Europe (because they're stock and required by law), but you live in America where it's super rare to have a set of EDM tail lamps (or EDM anything for that matter).

Nobody wants to listen to me, but I've been on it for a while. EDM is the new hotness.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I totally agree, but the EDM rear tail lights look exactly the same as USDM ones. Therefore I would gain minimal originality . (Incase you were wondering I am also completely against buying CTR rear tail lights for the same reason)
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Any clue on where to look for that EDM switch? And would the jdmland foglight switch look off since it would be black and the interior color of a hatch is typically type K?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It might look off, but at least it'd be stock. All the switches that go in that location are black:

Parking Pole
Foglight
Heated Seats
Etc.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't want to get into the opinion argument...but since you mentioned it, I like them because they are different. I like my cars to be different. You get sick of seeing the same kind of aesthetic mods on hondas. (I'm by no means saying that I would be a pioneer by putting in a rear foglight on a 96-00 hatch, but it is definitely one of the less common mods you can do)</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm referring in comparison to the stock rear fog light.

They sit on the driver's side btw.

RHD hatch:

Here's a coupe taillight with it unlit.

LHD coupe:
Old 12-22-2007, 11:23 PM
HT White Ops

And as for looking original .... you're going in the wrong direction if you want to look really original. I know EDM tail lamps may look similar, but knowing that you have something rare and unique is much more satisfying (IMHO) than just looking unique.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM
H-T White Ops

I mostly want one for safety.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys, thanks for the opinions/information.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since it's EK related anyone know where i can get a EDM EK9 Rear Lip??