Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter???

i went to the track yesterday (circuit that is)... did about 20-25 laps and was pushing it for the most part... my setup is a EH2 (aka EG for those that dont know) with a 99 USDM SiR motor, ITR tranny, P28 ecu with mugen chip + aem cai, aem cam gear, DC 4-2-1 headers, and a 2.5" cat back with NO MUFFLER.... so u guys can imagine that once i hit vtec the car is LOUD.. anyways towards the end of the day i noticed that my exhuast is sittin a lil low (thats common as i still have my stock muffler to keep the cops away and the mid pipe is tied down with a coat hanger) so i thought i would adjust it today when im home... also a key point to remember is that the last lap i did my gas was LOW so my car didnt hit vtec and didnt pull... i pulled into the pit once that happened (i thought it wasnt anything... just low gas)

anyways today i adjust the down pipe and proceed to get gas... pumped 91 octane and then left... i notcied that when im driving normally it doesnt sound like before... so i decide to hit vtec... non the less it seemed like i wasnt pullin as hard and that it was quiter... so quiet that i heard the intake more than the exhuast... now i showed it to my friends and they said they kinda noticed a change (but again we might be paranoid) ... now i couldnt pull as hard cuz the roads are wet and i dont wanna die trying to figure this out... anyways i reset the ECU... checked the exhuast and they were all fine...

what could this be?? if anything? or am i just paranoid becuz of what happened at the track yesterday (the car not pulling becuz of gas) ??

any help is appreciated

Navid.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (Navid OG)

bump 4 U
Old 06-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (Navid OG)

check your oil level...

if that's cool... do a compression test... leakdown after that if nothing shows up..

but your oil is probably low.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (SkyeC)

all in your head? lol
Old 06-01-2004, 05:59 PM

I don't know much about Hondas but theoretically, you do 20-25 laps, you can't expect a car to run the same the next day. Especially if you were pushin it for the most part... I agree with checkin compression, oil, the whole smash...
Old 06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (jrow87)

My car ran fine the next day after doing about 40-50 laps....
Old 06-01-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (SkyeC)

i did a oil change the day before the track and put in 4 litres of Mobil1 15w 50w ... but i will check it right now
Old 06-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude you were running the car all day, you probaly got used to it. After a couple hours in my car it doesnt feel as fast but i know its cause im getting used to it.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:06 PM

i just checked the oil and its on the first hole ... even though i put 4ltrs it seems to be a lil low??? should i put more oil in???
Old 06-01-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (delLudeVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude you were running the car all day, you probaly got used to it. After a couple hours in my car it doesnt feel as fast but i know its cause im getting used to it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya i think im too paranoid
Old 06-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have u ever thought that vtec is not kicking in just a thought.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (civic_type_r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_type_r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have u ever thought that vtec is not kicking in just a thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can hear and feal it kick in.... its just the sound thats different... and since its not as loud im thikning its not as fast

ttt... any other thoughts?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:21 AM

come on guys... H-T has never let me down with my civic related problems... lets not start now
Old 06-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Navid OG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just checked the oil and its on the first hole ... even though i put 4ltrs it seems to be a lil low??? should i put more oil in???</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if its low on oil i would definatly put some in there asap.. could be part of the reason why its running how it is.. you put 4 qrts in it and then drove the **** out of the car for day.. oil will burn up when the engine is that hot
Old 06-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i usually use 4 1/2 liters of oil in my setup...but i agree with the guys before...do compression, leakdown...even check your ignition wires and plugs...could be your plugs are dying out? just a possibility~
Old 06-02-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter??? (dsmgsx916@yahoo.com)

i put in more oil today and im taking it to a shop tomorrow to have them take it for a ride and chcek things out.... that way i will know if its just my head or if my car is mashed up
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 AM

what oil would u guys recomend??? 10w 30 or 15w 50?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:53 AM

I use Motul 300V 5W40. I am gonna try it out at the track this sat.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else agree with me?? low gas = no VTEC the idea is just... ridiculous?

the level of gas in your tank has no effect on whether or not VTEC kicks in. VTEC depends on oil pressure, MAP reading (ie load), and engine temp. NOT fuel level.

Do the routine maintenance, and for the love of God, put some normal oil in there for daily driving. I can understand for the track, but for daily driving, use 5W30.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:01 PM

If your vtec wasn't engaging you would be throwing a code. My thinking is that it doesnt feel as fast because you were racing all day, ripping it around non-stop, now your back on the street and your probably only accelerating in a straight line. Also it probably sounds quiter because you had no muffler on when you were racing and now its back on cause ur on the street. You're just used to hearing it scream out of an exhaust-less muffler and now you'd obviously hear ur intake more if you have a stock muffler on it.
My 2 cents
Old 06-02-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else agree with me?? low gas = no VTEC the idea is just... ridiculous?

the level of gas in your tank has no effect on whether or not VTEC kicks in. VTEC depends on oil pressure, MAP reading (ie load), and engine temp. NOT fuel level.

Do the routine maintenance, and for the love of God, put some normal oil in there for daily driving. I can understand for the track, but for daily driving, use 5W30.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so ur saying the last lap my car knocked like that not becuz of gas??? rather oil pressure??? even though i had 4 ltrs in???

lets say that was the case how bad is that for the motor??? and thanks for ur input
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you didn't say your car knocked before... you just said no VTEC. what kinda knock?? like detonation knock? that COULD be fuel starvation, and if there is KNOCK then the computer would not engage VTEC and it would pull timing back thus reducing power. So, was it detonation knock, and is your computer's knock sensor enabled?

As for oil, the dashboard idiot light comes on at a measly 8 psi of pressure, whereas VTEC needs way more... I dont' remember the exact number. So yes, the VTEC oil pressure would cut out before your oil low light would come on. If you were a little low on oil, and cornering hard, yes, the sump could have run dry... at high RPM the demand for oil is high. Esp higher viscosity oil like the 50 weight you're running it would take longer to return to the oil pan. How bad could it be... well, it doesn't appear you spun a bearing or anything... just check your cams for scars and check compression. Cams get scarred first, cuz they are the highest point on the motor with a demand for oil, so they take the most abuse in oil starved engines.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

well what exactly happened was that after a hard turn there is a 1/4 mile drag... i down shifted to second gear into the turn then started to push it... before it hit VTEC the car kinda STOPPED... like as if u hit something and u stop pressing the gas... immediatly i pressed down the clutch and went into the pit... i thought it was becuz of gas... no check engine light came on... and my oil light does not work properly (something to do with the sensor when the install was done)....

i will check everything tomorrow at the shop but even if i did damage the cams should i have them changed or is it drivable???

thanks
Old 06-02-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: (Navid OG)

im off to work right now... plz post up all the input and idea's on what went worng ... thanks alot in advance
Old 06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if there is damage on the cams... it's driveable, but I'd look to change them soon, including the bearings.

what you're describing sounds like the engine bogged out. it can be a number of reasons... start with the basics. Do all the maintenance... ignition, oil, filters (incl fuel filter!)... reset the computer, set your timing right. find out what your mugen chip has or does not have. This is very important. What CELs will it throw if any at all?

Quick Reply: went to the track yesterday... now the car sounds quieter???