Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Well, got the engine tuned this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, got the engine tuned this weekend...

Well, I took the journey up to Payn Tech this weekend. Kevin and Tom got my fuel pump in with a little swearing, and we headed off to the dyno. I've described this dyno a little in another thread, but I'll go through it again. Contrary to the standard Dynojet, this "Mustang Dyno" actually puts force against the wheels during a run, thus loading the car and bringing out all the little quirks that two big huge dumb rollers cant. That being said, whp numbers were lower than on a dynojet, but not terribly so. I'll have another dynojet baseline this Friday, at which point I'll take a pic of each dyno plot and post it up. All runs on the Mustang were in 4th gear. Tom got the A/F ratio in check and did a baseline of 177.5 whp/118.4 ft-lbs, engine temp was 165 I believe. We ended with 178.0 whp and 117.7 torque, not much to sing about, although temps were some 35 degrees hotter - no biggie. But, as has been said time and time again, you dont tune for peak power... who cares what you make for 200 RPM. We picked up a lot of midrange (mostly due to a poor VTEC setting, almost 20 ft-lbs right there). From 6300 RPM to 8000 RPM we picked up around 8 ft-lbs all the way up... its hard to tell by this graph as its scaled very weird, and the plots are thick. Now... numbers are all fine and dandy, but anyone who knows anything will attest that they dont tell the whole story. Yea, I made 197 whp before (on a dynojet mind you), but my driveability was horrid. At times, i wanted my B16 back just because of its better throttle response. Not so anymore, and this is why tuning is so important. Who cares what kinda whp you're running if the car doesn't respond well to input. Now... the car is every bit as good as the old B16A, just with about 15 ft-lbs more all the way up. Power is smooth and predictable, and every slight increase in throttle angle brings about more thrust. Think of a stairway, and how it relates to your powerband. Every time you give it just a little more gas, you should feel an increase in power (duhhh). Well untuned, my foot would miss every step between "idle" and "WOT." It was either slow or fast, no in between. Now, its got the same character as my B16... it revs out just as quick, and makes more power with every bit of throttle input. Like I said, I'll have dynojet numbers this weekend, I expect around the same peak whp, maybe we'll eclipse 200 whp but if not... who cares. The car is inexplicably more fun to drive and the power comes on much more linearly. To put it briefly... the car now has midrange. Tom and the guys over at Detroit Speedworks did a great job tuning this thing and it was money well spent. My highest compliments go out to them... EV.

[Modified by ElectronVTEC, 8:56 PM 8/27/2001]
Old 08-27-2001, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Well, got the engine tuned this weekend... (ElectronVTEC)

Cool EV. I'd say drivability is more important than a peak HP figure. I'm sure that tuning did a lot for your car though. Let us know how the dynojet runs this weekend go. It'd be nice to break 200HP i know.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, got the engine tuned this weekend... (RacerXI)

those are some pretty good #'s what are your mods??
Old 08-27-2001, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, got the engine tuned this weekend... (DragIIcivic)

B18C5 block, Jun stage 3 cams, JDM ITR 4-1, DC catback, AEM CAI, ITR I/M, stock Si T/B. Those numbers are low, I pull 197/130 on a dynojet but again, the Mustang inherently reads lower because it acts *against* the wheels, rather than just spinning along with them. I'll have dynojet numbers on Friday... hoping for 200+ but hey, the car is faster but the numbers might not relay that. EV.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm in that case..that sounds kinda low...I thought the todas would bring you above the 200 mark...what seems to be holding you back??
Old 08-27-2001, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, got the engine tuned this weekend... (DragIIcivic)

Well, like I said in the post, we picked up a little peak whp despite engine temps 35 degrees hotter (general rule is 10 degrees = 1% power). I'm one of those guys that doesn't care about peak whp numbers... they lie. Like I said, I made 197 whp but the car just didnt move it seemed. Now, it does. Numbers are not important for what they tell, but for what they hide. You can't measure acceleration of an engine with dyno numbers... yet that alone can mean the difference between a 14.0 and a 13.8. Remember, I'm on an OEM header (not some $1000 JDM big name piece), stock 58mm T/B, and stock 10.6:1 compression. I have an easy 10 whp if I just did a new T/B and a tad higher compression. The T/B i will be doing soon, the pistons will just have to wait... I'm tired of spending money on this thing. Dont get me wrong, I love it to death, I just need to reallign my priorities... EV.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:45 PM
New User

Good **** EV. Glad to see you finally got it tuned.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, got the engine tuned this weekend... (TITEB16)

Sounds like a good game plan...keep us posted