Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Welcome Sakura

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome Sakura

So, as some of you may know, I had a silver 2000 Civic EX Coupe w/ a 5 speed. Her name was Persephone. Some of you may also know that she was struck by a drunk driver in an extremely large SUV. I thought she was dead, but luck prevailed and she is still running around today. She is now in the possession of one of my friends and I have acquired a new vehicle.

Meet Sakura, a Milano Red Del Sol Si. She hails from Suzuka, Japan and was born in 1993. She runs like a champ, low miles, and no rust.

Life is good.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welcome Sakura

Umm ok!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL.

Most random reply ever.

Then I guess this is a random thread.

So it's fair.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remember H-T is not FB, you can get banned for making threads like this.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I kind of figured it was pertinent to the Civic/Del Sol forum. The thought was to egg on some provoking thoughts from my peers as to what the eventual plan would be. However I didn't want to bust in like "Dudes I just bought a car ~ how should I tear it apart 10 seconds after I bought it?"

I mean, it's better to wait until asked to keep things civil - or so I thought.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HOLY **** YOU BOUGHT A CAR AND NAMED IT. LOL R U GOING TO RACE IT? PLEASE TELL ME YOUR GOING TO DRAG THAT MOTHER ****ER /cruisecontrol

srsly dude... ur weird. and it makes me uncomfortable.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well where are the pics then?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL CHOKOLAWT
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM

this is ridiculous
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How so? I mean, I was more going for talking to people about actually restoring it to completely new-like conditions.

The point is, being a rather new user, I had no intentions of busting into the traditional
"hey guys, I'm new here... how can I make this thing fast?"

I mean there's a million threads like that and they are all vague and do nowhere (similar to this thread so far). Instead of running in here babbling a bunch of stuff I don't claim to be an expert in, I'd let the actual experts do all the talking as to any recommendations in the world of EG's, primarily about restoring the body and paint, and getting the suspension up to par (one of the coil springs is shot).

Oh, and I have no intentions of drag racing it. I mean no offense, but drag racing is probably one of the most redneck activities ever imagined by mankind.

Far far down the road I would consider track days, assuming that the track in question is a real track, you know, the type with both left *and* right corners.

So, if someone who actually knows about paint or suspensions would like to chime in, it would be very much appreciated.

Also, the previous owner had installed a rather loud exhaust and it's annoying. I was hoping to replace it but since I have to, might as well get something better then stock. I was thinking a Greddy Spectrum Elite - I've heard they are very quiet.

Normally I wouldn't care about that, but I'm actually trying to undo the damage of the previous owner and make it tolerable once again.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics in a few... They're taken with a crappy iPhone in a random parking lot so don't expect photography gold or anything...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
The point is, being a rather new user, I had no intentions of busting into the traditional "hey guys, I'm new here... how can I make this thing fast?"
then why in the world did you start your first post with "as some of you remember... those of you who might know..."

wtf dude? I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT YOU'RE FREAKING REDICULOUS. anyways... back on topic.

imo i hate the look of aftermarket mufflers on cars with stock ride height. it looks cheesy and ricer. lower your car, stock exhaust, $350-500 rims and call it a day. save up money for a nice swap and focus on mpg while you're doing it.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the issue... That's what the car came with. However, to pay money to get a stock exhaust sounds a bit backwards to me if I can get something with reputable design that pretty much sounds stock anyway (or so I've heard - waiting for more input on that one).

And the "as some of you remember" refers to a previous thread pertaining to the accident. So, no - I'm not crazy and making crap up out of nowhere. By "new" I mean I haven't been on this forum since the dark ages and have over 50,000 posts.

Don't be so quick to trash-talk other people because you just might not know what you're talking about yourself.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
Don't be so quick to trash-talk other people because you just might not know what you're talking about yourself.
i lold.

if you want a fart can go for it. greddy makes a decent exhaust but i dont see the point if you have a stock motor... honda's have the connotation of being a family appliance, just like your toaster. drive it for mpg till you save up enough money to run 11's, then you can say it's "quick"...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a bit of goodies for those who didn't get a "Needs improvement" grade in "Gets along well with others" back in kindergarten.

I'm sorry I couldn't get to the other side - there were people flying by and there was an SUV in the way of any meaningful shot. The pictures do demonstrate what one of my questions were, however. As the pictures demonstrate, the paint on the hood, roof, and trunk is a bit faded, and the trim pieces and mirrors will have to be repainted.

To remove the oxidation on the aforementioned parts, I have been using a clay bar and yellow wax as best I can. However, I think I've hit a wall as to what to do next. Any suggestions to remove the remaining "faded" look from the hood and trunk would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good but need to lower it, like put it on the ground.
paint the wiper arms and the rear window trim peice,
Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car is in great condition, I would edit your first post and add some pictures there also.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you know you have 92-93 gsr rims? thats a pretty nice bonus... but yes. NEEDS MOAR LOW!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
imo i hate the look of aftermarket mufflers on cars with stock ride height. it looks cheesy and ricer. lower your car, stock exhaust, $350-500 rims and call it a day.
This, to me, sounds like trading one "ricey" option for another. The idea is to REMOVE the loud exhaust. Second, why would I take a stock Del Sol, which is basically a Civic, and lower it and spend hundreds of dollars on wheels? Because the lowered car with the shiny wheels is so much better then the car that sounds like a rapid succession of tiny farts...

So, let's go through the options... I can spend $500 on some wheels that would, by definition, look pretty flaming. Then I can lower a car that already is so close to the ground it is on the brink of *deathtrap*, all while gaining no actual benefit for the car in either comfort or performance.

Frankly, that sounds retarded.

See, I tried to start off a thread being polite and congenial and your natural inclination to try to push off your ideas of what is acceptable and what is not makes this whole thread turn as foul as every other one on here.

If you can't actually answer any questions or just talk in a civilized manner, why even bother trying to communicate with other people?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

scrape the **** off the molding, paint it and paint the windshield wipers. semi-flat black kraylon is what u need. U will pick up performance benefits by lower the car on quility parts. Guess what, it will look better too. I would just keep the rims though, they look good what kind r they?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is so full of fail.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to fully restore the vehicle before I even consider aftermarket modifications. The exhaust thing, well... I have no choice. Natural chain of logic pretty much dictates that to go to a stock system is a waste. That would basically mean I'd spend money to get something that came on the car for free when it was made. If I'm going to spend money, I might as well get something nice.

Oh, and I hope I haven't offended anyone thinking some nice wheels would improve it a bit. Tastefully chosen to match the car, they would be fine. I was trying to use it as an example - why would I get upgraded wheels and lower a car that will still not perform any better?

Here's my outline of what would be my list of priorities,,,
1.) Restoration
2.) Upgrade Brakes
3.) Engine work (either swap or FI)
4.) Suspension
5.) Cosmetics (wheels and stuff)

See, I see a lot of cars that, while not *ricey* or overly attention grabbing/gaudy are still a terrible investment. I mean, all the stuff people do to these cars are obscenely expensive - for nothing. At the end of the day what people have is an over-priced econo-box that is *still slow*.

As much as I do dislike ricey cars, there is something I dislike more. I hate seeing cars that have "5-lug conversions" and expensive wheels and different seats and are lowered until they are 1.7 nanometers from the ground but still are sporting the same paltry 100 HP they started with.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The rims are very old GS-R Rims, I believe.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you think that if you 'restore' this car, it will be worth a lot of money? Oh boy. Doing anything to cars other than driving them is NEVER a good investment. If you look at this as such, you are in for a great disappointment. All you will end up with is an over priced econobox that is still stock AND slow.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SR240DET, you may have been the first reasonable person on here. I'm not saying I hate the idea of suspension upgrades, I just don't think they serve a purpose if your car still is slow. I mean, just yesterday I redid all the brakes and put on carbon ceramic pads and all new rotors so I do care...

It's just I don't want to dump money into a bunch of stuff and still have a car that's slow as heck. Also, even though a properly set up aftermarket suspension will improve handling, like at least 75% of the people you see with their cars lowered are not doing it for any performance reason - they are doing it for the looks.

Everyone knows it's true. That's what I don't want to become. I'd rather have a car that looks slow and performs great then a car with a bunch of aftermarket modifications that look nice but doesn't deliver what it advertises.

Quick Reply: Welcome Sakura