Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Welcome my $100.00 Del Sol to the H-T family!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Welcome my $100.00 Del Sol to the H-T family!

If the power wire for the amp wasn't properly fused, it's entirely possible that it burned out. If it did, you're lucky it didn't go up in flames. Every power line should always have a properly sized fuse.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
If the power wire for the amp wasn't properly fused, it's entirely possible that it burned out. If it did, you're lucky it didn't go up in flames. Every power line should always have a properly sized fuse.
20 amp, I think? I know thats the size fuse in the amp. I don't remember what the size of the fuse is in the line fuse thingy though. Question is:

Why did the wire pop in the first place?

It had symptoms before. The amp would work and then not work sometimes. I attributed it to a loose speaker wire. I would have NEVER thought the wire itself was blown. In fact, if I didn't have a test light, I wouldn't have figured it out because, why would the wire go bad?

I will say that, I dislike modifying cars now, but I enjoy stereo stuff. Wiring and installing stuff: thats fun I've fried my fair share of amps/stereo's and blown speakers (even a MSD ignition) before I learned how to do it properly.

here's a couple of pics.

The old cd player.
Notice how it only has ONE screw holding it in and even then, it was finger tight xD

And a in progress pic.

Jelly always gets so messy when I work on her o.0

Last edited by mac_24_seven; 10-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many watts are you running amp'ed? Not sure if I should upgrade my alternator before I drop in an amp.
Also, how does your sub sound from the trunk? Not so sure if I should try to fit it behind my seats somehow.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mac_24_seven
20 amp, I think? I know thats the size fuse in the amp. I don't remember what the size of the fuse is in the line fuse thingy though. Question is:

Why did the wire pop in the first place?

It had symptoms before. The amp would work and then not work sometimes. I attributed it to a loose speaker wire. I would have NEVER thought the wire itself was blown. In fact, if I didn't have a test light, I wouldn't have figured it out because, why would the wire go bad?
It depends on the size power wire and fuse amp capacity. Same thing had happen to my truck and the same symptoms and ended the wire burnt up and melted fuse on 8 gauge wire. But I knew it was the power wire cuz I was going to replace it when I put my two 15s L7 running at one ohm stable. I upgraded to the 0 gauge wire that came on the kicker amp kit that they sell And added another battery on top of the optima Im running.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Trial User

Love the work my gf just bought a del sol that is in pretty ruff shape that i am in the process of restoring. Thread gave me a couple tips keep it up!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sph3re
Love the work my gf just bought a del sol that is in pretty ruff shape that i am in the process of restoring. Thread gave me a couple tips keep it up!
Awww, I was your first post! I took your Honda-tech posting virginity I hope it was as good for you as it was for me o.0
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a really simple diagram for proper fuses for wires. Keep in mind that these are maximums. There's nothing wrong with running a smaller fuse than the maximum recommended. When I started doing stereo installs (including two prize winning cars) rather than trying to learn the complexities of car wiring, I just started with a fuse half the maximum recommended size. If it blew, I'd go up one size at a time. If you hit the max fuse size, chances are you fucked something up in the wires. Also, I wouldn't personally go past 100 amps on any wire. For my battery relocation, I'm currently running a 75A fuse for the main 0G battery line with no problems.

Remember, these are absolute theoretical maximums. That doesn't mean it'll be safe for the electronics on the other end of the wire, or even for the wire if it has degraded.

Wire Gauge Recommended
Maximum Fuse Size
0 awg 325 amps
1 awg 250 amps
2 awg 200 amps
4 awg 125 amps
6 awg 80 amps
8 awg 50 amps
10 awg 30 amps
12 awg 20 amps
14 awg 15 amps
16 awg 7.5 amps

[edit]

Decided to add some more information about fuses for someone else that might be reading and looking for more information. Borrowed the pictures from a great website that I learned the basics of fuses and fusible links from. I know a lot of people around here like to do things the "cheap" way, or the "quick and easy" way instead of the correct way. The correct way for smaller gauge wires is something like this. You can get them from almost any electronics store for cheap.

For larger gauge wire, you should use something like this. Once again, you can buy these at almost any electronics store.

However, if you're too ghetto to spend the $5-$20 on a proper fuse and holder, You can always do this.

If you don't have a pack of female wire ends, you shouldn't even be touching car electronics. Yes, it's a ghetto fix. Yes, it works just as well as a proper fuse holder. Crimp/solder the female terminal ends to the wire, insert the fuse with a small piece of electrical tape between the terminal ends to make sure they don't touch. then wrap the terminal ends with electrical tape so they don't make contact with anything else.

OP, this is not directed at you. This is directed at the people who decide not to run a fuse because they forgot to buy a fuse block, or they were too cheap to buy one. Don't be stupid. Don't risk setting your car on fire. There's really no excuse not to run a proper fuse on any hot wire.

Last edited by jbpnoman; 10-16-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 AM
Trial User

Awww, I was your first post! I took your Honda-tech posting virginity I hope it was as good for you as it was for me o.0
It was like my first time all over again. It was over way to fast and I did not even know your first name
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yall had some good times i can see
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No updates?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sph3re
It was like my first time all over again. It was over way to fast and I did not even know your first name
You forgot to mention the 30 min of crying afterwards!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96DrkHatch
No updates?
Life has been Interesting for me as of late. I was fired from my comfy desk job where I always did my updating and now work part time as a surveyor... Not a desk job :p

However, I have lots of updates!

Jellybean was running worse and worse. Hard starts, I mean REALLY hard starts. I changed the distributor hoping that would help: it didn't.

Well I had a pretty bad oil leak from the rebuild, the oil pan gasket. I dropped the pan to change it and.... There was water in the oil. BAD.

I got to my buddy's house and we do a compression test. We pulled all the spark plugs, stuck the tester in a cylinder we thought was bad... WATER WAS SHOOTING OUT OF THE CYLINDERS.

Yanked the head: head gasket was bad.

Came to the conclusion that I did NOT make sure the threads were cleaned odor the bolts and that maybe there was some liquid in there that threw the torque numbers off.

Stuffed a new gasket on there, cleaned the holes (tapped them to clean the threads) and torqued her back down. As of right now, she's inning good as new!

I don't think I have VTEC though... Weird. I'll look into it later. I have pics and a funny video of my engine shooting out water, but I don't have my laptop ATM so. Can't post them. I shall, don't worry.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics pics pics eye candy pics pics pics or ban...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Marquis
pics pics pics eye candy pics pics pics or ban...
Youre posting in jellys thread: what took so long?????

I have lots of pics, just been lazy :S she's still ugly, no paint too. BUT, things might be changing for ole jelly here.

It might be exciting in the pants o.0 updates soon, I promise.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dubble post

Last edited by mac_24_seven; 02-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre posting in jellys thread: what took so long?????
I've posted a few times before! Look back a little ways...

Either way, I'm "sub'd for updates"... namely, I'm looking forward to seeing her all ONE COLOR ...
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dubble Posted

Last edited by mac_24_seven; 02-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey HEY!! I'm back!

SO sorry for a lack of updates., My new job doesnt leave me at a computer much. I'm always using my ipad or phone and well, I'm lazy

BUT!!!!!! I'll do my best to update more frequently.

Before I catch you up to date, lets go back to december... Cast yoru eye upon this!

Ohhhhh YEAHHHHH!!!! Thats hawt, yes?

Yeah, so I was relatively unhappy with that. But wait, theres more!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr-P1...ature=youtu.be

Hilarious, yes?
Sparky plugs.

So, I got with a couple of buddies and we slapped a new headgasket on there.

So what was wrong? Why did this happen? Remember, I had JUST rebuilt this engine. New headgasket too! Check this out...

So what we think happened is whenever I put the headgasket back on and i retorqued the bolts, I didnt clean out the bolt holes good enough, maybe had some liquid in there and the torque specs werent correct. Plus, look at all that trash.

Lesson here: Always tap the bolt holes for the studs and blow them out before you torque the head, or else the specs will be off and you'll have an engine thats spewing water of your own!

Fortunately for me, no harm done

Shes purring like a kitten now, getting awesome gas mileage and whatnot! I'm 99% sure Vtec isnt working though. Its not a race car so I dont particularly care (she rarely EVER sees above 3,000 RPM) but its something I'll address in the future.

On to other things...
My dearest wife pampered the ricer in me and bought me a color changing LED strip! it looks sooooooooooo coool! I have to get a pic of it all lit up. Its so fast and Furious but I love it. My bro and I had ran it sorta quickly, but I wasnt happy with it so I decided to run it again. I needed to pull my seats and figured, why not install my 4 channel amp?!

Here's the pics of the process

Starting... Yay!

I had never pulled this seat before. I assume this is almost 20 years of dirt and change :O

Its getting worse... AHHHHH!!!

Sexy!!

As you see, the strip is run right under the seat and it runs under teh dash, so the whole floorboard is illuminated :D

Alrighty, LED strip is ran, now its time for teh amp install. Its beena loooong time since I had wired in a 4 channel amp. Prob 5 or 6 years D:

Got me sum wyars runnnnn!

So, of course I wanted to make sure I wired up everything correctly. I was tryin to figure out how I could ID each wire so I couldnt get things mixed up. The simplest solution is often the best: I just wrote on the wires what was what and marked the negative wire. Worked out great!

Slightly off topic here, but since I had stuff all apart, I fixed my cig lighter. It was busted since I got it and hey, might as well fix her up! so I did

So yeah, things get messy when youre in the heat of a wiring battle. BUT, I prevailed! Not without much adversity though.

What happened was, before I wired up my new amp, I wanted to make sure my old one was working. I hooked my ground up, tunred on the car: Amp was in protect mode. I was rather confused because NOTHING had changed!

I break out my handy dandy test light and... my ground was getting power.

WTH? I was so confused. I checked all of my wiring: good. It had NOT changed at all.
So, I pulled the amp and stuck it in my GSR (since it was wired for an amp): worked fine.

I was very confused.

I stick the amp BACK in jellybean: DIDNT WORK.

OK. So, the amp works in my GSR, but not in Jelly. Why? My wiring had not changed AT ALL... or had it? My ground was in a different postion, but it was hooked up. I remember from past working with cars that grounds are EXTREMELY important. So, I cleaned up my lil ground terminal and the area where the terminal would go. Bolted her back up: worked again.

It was going into a ground look or something, I dunno. either way, I got my old amp working again and fired up my new amp: All was well!

Unfortunatly, I dont have a pic of everything all cleaned up and installed! Weird o.0
I'll get one tomorrow.

So, what does she look like now?

Ugly. I know, I know. Another project drug out forever. BUT, never fear my dear HT lassies and laddies, moar work will be underway soon!

My plan is to have jelly primered by the end of the month. The last week of the month is when I'll get all my work done. So stay tuned for super major updates very soon.

Enj0y!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yay! jelly lives! :D
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing new posts for jellybean made my day!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Terrance, Erase post #715! It's taking up my eye-bandwidth! And my Page-down button is getting worn out!

Hurry! Do it quick before I need to replace my laptop! And retinas.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job man keep up the good work. cant wait to see a pic of jellybean in its pride
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Yesidriveacivic
Seeing new posts for jellybean made my day!
What a sad little life you have XD glad I can be a beacon of awesomeness in it :D

--------
I've been scouring eBay, comparing prices, figuring it what I'm gonna do, need to buy/want to buy. Looks like I'm honna drop a nice lil hunk of change down on stuff... When my car sells that is.

Something I really want to do is remove the power steering and stick a manual rack in there. Mine is leaking and no PS will net some some yummy mpg. I like good mpg.

It makes me happy in teh pants..

With that mental image, I'd like to add jelly's transmission sucks. Cant shift it over 3k rpm without it grinding or being VERY hard to shift. I might try and source out a trans while I'm at it. Ideally, I'd like to pulls the trans and steering rack, replace both along with the clutch all at the same time. Oh, and replace the rear main seal.

I'm thinking with that done, coupled with a fresh rebuild, she should be good for another 20 years or so

We shall see... I'm pullin the pin on this stuff soon, as jelly will be my daily and she's gonna have to look (and run) good
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I need opinions on lips.

ITR
Mugen
Si

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Welcome my $100.00 Del Sol to the H-T family!