Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird problem - headlight buzzer always on & radio shuts off and on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem - headlight buzzer always on & radio shuts off and on while driving

setup:
- 94 civic ex
- gsr swap

okay, i have two weird problems, i dunno if they are related or not. first, i have a headlight buzzer on the car. it has been installed for 3+ years with no problems. it is connected at the underdash fusebox at 2 & 3 (the quick connect type connections, not the fuses). all of a sudden, whenever i turn on the lights it buzzes, even when the engine is on. if i remember correctly, 2 is the battery and 3 is the ignition. so that means that either the battery is bad or it is not getting an ignition signal. but since the lights turn on without the key, i think it is the ignition. but how can it not have an ignition signal if it still buzzes when the motor is on?

cliff notes - part 1
- have headlight buzzer for 3+ years
- suddenly buzzer is on all the time, even when motor is running
- why?

problem number two, when driving around, the radio will randomly switch on and off. also, when the car is off and the key is turn on, the radio will not switch on. any ideas? i was thinking its a short somewhere. any suggestions on where to look and which wires to check?

cliff notes - part 2
- radio randomly switches on and off
- why?

please lemme know, thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird problem - headlight buzzer always on & radio shuts off and on while driving (ID_ten_T)

the radio problem sounds like when my alternator was dying on me...on the freeway driving like you stated, it'll be on...then shut of for like 5 secs and turn back on...initially the battery light came on...draining my battery(cuz the alternator was dead at this point)and eventually having to stop at the nearest Walmart for a battery to get me to my destination...so check ur alternator...could be getting bad...

You have any kinda system amped to it? Draining power somehow?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: weird problem - headlight buzzer always on & radio shuts off and on while driving (ID_ten_T)

Well, to see if your alternator is bad, try doing this:

· Turn car on. Turn headlights on. Rev' engine. Does headlight dim or brighten? If it dims, your alternator may be going bad. If it brightens, your alternator is still okay.

· Turn car on. Unplug battery. If car stays on, alternator is okay. If car dies, alternator is going bad.