Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project

Sure its light as hell, but what's it run?

Picked this up a few weeks ago and began

As it sits now

Back

Damage mostly removed

Other side

See ma, no rear suspension or gas tank.

It sure does take up more room in pieces.

Just to keep this post technical. Anybody need to know how to remove anything from an eg hatch, just ask.

Spent about 2 weeks in the evenings to get it this far. Waiting for an EG6 front clip to fix the front (both the damage and the "power problem" if you get my drift).

Until then, gotta get the sucker media blasted so I can repaint the underside and inside before the reassembly.

Later,

Josh
Old 03-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project ((hybridhatch92))

looking good man, what color are you going to paint it??
Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project (lohatch)

paint that bitch the same color....ROCK DA TEAL!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, sweet, so what engine is going in there?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattEG)

b16 y0 I am guessing. looks good. I wish I can do the same on my new hatch.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project (SloCivicHMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SloCivicHMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paint that bitch the same color....ROCK DA TEAL!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

EPB would also be nice
Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 AM

I wish I had the garage space, time, effort, and know how to do that. Looks awesome, defiently looks like your doing it right. Good luck with it!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchback19)

thats not a hatch, its a hunk of metal right now, lol
Old 03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchback19)

Seeing threads like this really makes me wish I had a project car going. Stupid dad...not letting me occupy the garage with a shell of a car
Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16a ferio)

thats awesome. wish i could tear my car apart like that to repair all the little things! good luck on your project btw. update us when it starts taking form !!!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

So you're going RHD?
Old 03-18-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looking good man, what color are you going to paint it?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

A variant of Nissan's WV2. That's the silverstone metallic found on the new 350Z's. I started with the base formula, but blended it with a bigger flake and a low strength blue instead of the high strength the color calls for. Really lightens up the face while brightening the sidetone. Took me 3 dam days to get it the way I like it, but its purdy now

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha, sweet, so what engine is going in there?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16A that comes in the JDM EG6 SIR. I needed new rails and inner structure, along with core support, front mechanical and sheet metal. I figure for a bit more than the price of a USDM front clip, I can get the SIR clip and get a good platform to start from, i.e. the B16.

Josh
Old 03-18-2004, 08:38 AM
local hippie

youre the man
Old 03-18-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (Happyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you're going RHD?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, I use drive-thrus too dam much by myself for that.

I could if I wanted to, but something about shifting with my left hand doesn't sit too well with me.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ((hybridhatch92))

Something I've always wondered about: how do you get it to the paint shop with no suspension?

Looks like a good start, though.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:11 AM

im excited lol, I want to see how you put that together, obviously just using what is necessary... keep us posted
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something I've always wondered about: how do you get it to the paint shop with no suspension?

Looks like a good start, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Flat bed...the way it sits right now stripped you could get like 4 or 5 guys and carry it onto the flat bed. That thing prolly weighs less than 1000 lbs.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Flat bed...the way it sits right now stripped you could get like 4 or 5 guys and carry it onto the flat bed. That thing prolly weighs less than 1000 lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah or im sure he is gunna paint it himself proly in his garages... he said he was mixing the paint the color he liked.. so im sure hes gunna just pain it himself.. car looks good man.. i wish i ah the money and another car so i could strip my car down and make her perfect
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: (ekb18cCivic)

so man how did you go about removing the windsheild / side glass i'm lookin to do the same with my coup any helpfull hints? , thanks btw nice work
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ((hybridhatch92))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by (hybridhatch92) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nah, I use drive-thrus too dam much by myself for that.

I could if I wanted to, but something about shifting with my left hand doesn't sit too well with me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The only guy around here i know of that has a rhd car goes through the drive thrus backwards, It's kinda funny to see, but it all works the same!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:07 AM

I appreciate the support guys, I have been on the boards for a little over a year now, but I finally have a honda so hopefully I can participate more. This is gonna be a slow process cause I wanna take my time, and I don't plan on doing things twice, so when I start putting her back together I'll install upgraded parts as I go. Prolly be a good 6-9 months, maybe even a year before I am finished. Would like to be sooner, but being married with a kid does slow that cash flow done a bit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Flat bed...the way it sits right now stripped you could get like 4 or 5 guys and carry it onto the flat bed. That thing prolly weighs less than 1000 lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner. Yep, just move it to a flatbed and move it around.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb18cCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah or im sure he is gunna paint it himself proly in his garages... he said he was mixing the paint the color he liked.. so im sure hes gunna just pain it himself.. car looks good man.. i wish i ah the money and another car so i could strip my car down and make her perfect</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I manage a body shop so I'll have it brought here after I get it stripped. Paint the bottom and inside, then back to my garage for reassembly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip b18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so man how did you go about removing the windsheild / side glass i'm lookin to do the same with my coup any helpfull hints? , thanks btw nice work
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any helpful hints? Yeah, know the owner of a glass company. Seriously though, I dont't mess with glass. I'm sure if I had to pay someone to do it, I would have attempted something, but for free, why bother.

Josh
Old 03-18-2004, 10:18 AM

Looks good man. I wish I had another beater to work on my hatch like that. Just got the daily driver/ street car.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project (MikeNice)

wow, hop it turns out.... how much did you pick up the hatchy for?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project (cxjon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, hop it turns out.... how much did you pick up the hatchy for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets see.... $500 for the car, $67.25 to get it titled, $54.28 to rent tow dolly to pick up, $0.00 to borrow bosses Hemi Ram to pick it up, $46.01 in gas for said ram....

$667.54 in my garage with a clean title.

Only spent 6 and a half months looking for it.

Josh
Old 03-18-2004, 10:41 AM

wow, money well spent, you make every single penny and nickle count!

Looking forward to seeing this thing in action, road race? or auto cross or drag?

Quick Reply: Weight reduction gone too far??? My new project