Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weatherstripping???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstripping???

My weatherstripping on my car has become all mildewy or something. ( Its the part on the sidewindows at the top of the doors) And I want to know how much it is to get this replaced or whatever.. I did a search too. I tried to scrape it off and some other things but that just made it worse....its so damn irritating.....So do anyone know the price to replace it or anything else I can do? TIA
Old 06-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (silvercivicgrl)

can you get a picture of what exactly you are talking about? I will be going up to IAS in the next few weeks and could check what they have. Also, have you tried like hondaautomotiveparts.com or anything to check the factory pricing?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (BigZ88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you get a picture of what exactly you are talking about? I will be going up to IAS in the next few weeks and could check what they have. Also, have you tried like hondaautomotiveparts.com or anything to check the factory pricing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok let me explain it better. You have your window and the part where the window goes down into the door there is usually some black stripping (at the top of the body part of the door, not the way top near the roof of the car). that part is all moldy. It would be pain in the *** to replace it myself though
Old 06-30-2003, 08:45 AM

I think the one on top of the door could be replaced easily but the one that goes around the side window will be tougher cuz I believe you would haveto remove the window to replace it. You could try getting an estimate from a body shop.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (axhandler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axhandler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the one on top of the door could be replaced easily but the one that goes around the side window will be tougher cuz I believe you would haveto remove the window to replace it. You could try getting an estimate from a body shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea but i just would trust a professional doing it more than myself. i also just wanted to see if any of u guys did it and what price so i have something to go on. i was just considering getting maybe some vinyl paint and spraying it for the time being
Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried Mother's Back to Black? It's a pretty good temp. fix.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (KEVlN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KEVlN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried Mother's Back to Black? It's a pretty good temp. fix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm good idea. would track auto or one of those places have that. i dont want to drive around forever looking for it
Old 06-30-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any automotive parts store should carry that stuff or something like it. So you are talkin about the rubber around the window then... I'll have to see how difficult it is to get off, but doesnt seem like it would be too bad. I'll take a look when I get home at how hard it looks. Doesnt seem like it would be too hard. If i can figure it out, i'll let you know. worst comes to worst you just dissassemble the door lol. ALOT cheaper than payin someone to do it.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any automotive parts store should carry that stuff or something like it. So you are talkin about the rubber around the window then... I'll have to see how difficult it is to get off, but doesnt seem like it would be too bad. I'll take a look when I get home at how hard it looks. Doesnt seem like it would be too hard. If i can figure it out, i'll let you know. worst comes to worst you just dissassemble the door lol. ALOT cheaper than payin someone to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True. I'm sure I can recruit my bf and his friends to help me. This might sound REALLY LAME but I dont want to break a nail, they take so long to grow. I was trying to see if I could pry it off or soemthing but it doenst look that easy.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i also just wanted to see if any of u guys did it and what price so i have something to go on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

b18c5-eh2 replaced them on his 5th gen hatch, i think.....
It could have just been the ones around his windshield but I think he did
his doors too. I search but its probably in one of those "WTF? HELP!"
posts.

oh wait, I think i went to buy them at the dealer but they were around $55 a side.
I don't remember exactly but I know they were expensive.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (d15dude)

Tom replaced or took off EVERYTHING on his car. he rebuilt that thing basically from the ground up. Took it all out to have it painted. I am sure he could tell you how to do it.

break a nail! HAHAHAHA. Gonna have to get past that to be a "car guy" darlin!

Bring it to the charlotte meet and get someone to do it! I'm sure someone will know how!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
break a nail! HAHAHAHA. Gonna have to get past that to be a "car guy" darlin!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know but I still need to retain my girliness somehow. Lol

But damn 55$ a door?! Man I'll see if someone I know will know how to do it. If not I'll try that quick fix thing. The guy who had my bfs eg before he bought it replaced them but he also worked at a dealership so he probably got it done for free
Old 06-30-2003, 10:14 AM
New User

I know auto zone has it. I used it on my civic, and it does a good job, but I still want to replace mine, but that's only cause I am ****.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weatherstripping??? (KEVlN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KEVlN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know auto zone has it. I used it on my civic, and it does a good job, but I still want to replace mine, but that's only cause I am ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok cool ill head up there this afternoon. hopefully itll work. im not that **** just as long as it maybe covers up those moldy spots a bit. they are just so nasty looking
Old 06-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know but I still need to retain my girliness somehow. Lol

But damn 55$ a door?! Man I'll see if someone I know will know how to do it. If not I'll try that quick fix thing. The guy who had my bfs eg before he bought it replaced them but he also worked at a dealership so he probably got it done for free </TD></TR></TABLE>

retain girliness by wearin sexy clothes to work on ur car but get your hands dirty!!!

edit: you could also use like some bathroom cleaner that gets rid of mold or the like then use the trim stuff from auto zone. maybe?
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

retain girliness by wearin sexy clothes to work on ur car but get your hands dirty!!!

edit: you could also use like some bathroom cleaner that gets rid of mold or the like then use the trim stuff from auto zone. maybe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea right ruin my nice clothes by working on my car

i tried tilex mildew remover that didnt work, i tried a little bit of watered down simple green but then em that kinda ate away at the rubber so that didnt work. I think its just the mold has made its way down into it somehow.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey sexy could mean a t-shirt pulled tight and tied and short shorts! not like an expensive club outfit or somethin....sheesh! guys arent that picky, especially when a girl is workin on a car...

dunno what else to reccommend for your windows tho.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

err my bf just thinks im sexy the way i am. no need to dress it up when working on a car.

but yea ill try the back to black stuff and go from there.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">err my bf just thinks im sexy the way i am. no need to dress it up when working on a car.

but yea ill try the back to black stuff and go from there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

for him then! I need the thought of the clothes to help me, i've never seen you
Old 06-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eh u dont need to see me im taken. just go out and find another honda girl. but yea me and my bf make a good team working on stuff. when he gets frustrated i just take over, then i get frustrated and he takes back over. tag team

but hopefully this thread will help someone else too. i cant be the only one this happens to
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 AM

instead of tryin to take it them off, u can jus tape off around the weatherstrip with masking tape and newspaper.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nahledge 7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nahledge 7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">instead of tryin to take it them off, u can jus tape off around the weatherstrip with masking tape and newspaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea I was going to do that if I painted them. It would be a pain in the *** to take them off.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:07 PM
New User

Default Re: (silvercivicgrl)

let me know how the back to black works for you.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh u dont need to see me im taken. just go out and find another honda girl. but yea me and my bf make a good team working on stuff. when he gets frustrated i just take over, then i get frustrated and he takes back over. tag team

but hopefully this thread will help someone else too. i cant be the only one this happens to </TD></TR></TABLE> thats my girl