Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weak ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak ride

on my way home today my car seemed a little weaker than usual. and the noise comming from my tranny seemed louder. from what i've come up with from friends and people here on h-t that the noise is either my axles slipping inside the trans or an input or throw out bearing. Could any of these make my car seema little weaker? or do you think i have another problem?

i know that my car doesn't have too much power to begin with because its a d15b7 i think...in a 94 civic dx w/ 5 sp manual. but it just seemed a little sliggish today
Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: weak ride (Cypher0117)

You drive a Honda, that's why it seems weak. j/k

I don't think it'd bve because of axles slipping... But I can't give a dead on answer so....

Bump for more help.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: weak ride (tkosmith)

is your clutch really old? you would know if it was slipping.

I cannot see how the splines could be slipping...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: weak ride (kabaroo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kabaroo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your clutch really old? you would know if it was slipping.

I cannot see how the splines could be slipping... </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats another question i had... See the story is my car has 161k miles on it and i learned to drive stick on it. And thoruhout my learning process and driving probably almost 2k miles i have never smelled clutch... Even my very first time driving manual ever. I don't know if i was just lucky or if this means my clutch is good or bad. And i know how burning clutch smells because my friend burned some of his clutch on his subaru when i was riding with him a while back
Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM

maybe you should just upgrade your clutch anyways..?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: weak ride (mikewa)

k well when your drivin down the road. when you give your car some gas does it rev real high but barely move?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my way home today my car seemed a little weaker than usual. and the noise comming from my tranny seemed louder. from what i've come up with from friends and people here on h-t that the noise is either my axles slipping inside the trans or an input or throw out bearing. Could any of these make my car seema little weaker? or do you think i have another problem?

i know that my car doesn't have too much power to begin with because its a d15b7 i think...in a 94 civic dx w/ 5 sp manual. but it just seemed a little sliggish today</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want to know how you are able to isolate the noise, so you are sure it is coming from the Transmission.
The best thing to do, is spend a little money to eliminate things that will steal power.
Change the spark plugs, and examine them.
Change the fuel filter.
Change and check other fluids.
Try to see if you have a head gasket leak.
Also, please find out when the last time the timing belt has been changed. It might be time for it, considering it is at 161,000.
Take the car to get a minor tune up, and ask the mechanics to check around.

Good luck, and I am sorry if the stuff I post seems like boring common sense type of things.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: weak ride (youraquickone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youraquickone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k well when your drivin down the road. when you give your car some gas does it rev real high but barely move?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what it felt like today....and it doesn't always do it....it's done it a few other times since i got my car. does this mean my clutch is slippng?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: weak ride (whitecat31)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whitecat31 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to know how you are able to isolate the noise, so you are sure it is coming from the Transmission.
The best thing to do, is spend a little money to eliminate things that will steal power.
Change the spark plugs, and examine them.
Change the fuel filter.
Change and check other fluids.
Try to see if you have a head gasket leak.
Also, please find out when the last time the timing belt has been changed. It might be time for it, considering it is at 161,000.
Take the car to get a minor tune up, and ask the mechanics to check around.

Good luck, and I am sorry if the stuff I post seems like boring common sense type of things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

prety sure the noise is comming from the trans or clutch area....when the car is in neutral and on and the clutch pedal is out then there is a clank clank clank noise and when the clutch pedal is in the noise goes away....also reving in nuetral it sounds good...just normal engine noises and when traveling while in gear the noise is there

cahnged spark plugs and wires.
changed fuel filter
changed oil and topped of coolent
the belts don't look too warn but idk really what to looks for...they seem clean still and all the writing is still on them and legible
the only thing i didn't really check was the head gasket....fluids to looks for would be???? oil and coolent? still a noob w/ cars lol
Old 06-03-2005, 06:58 PM

any other suggestions?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 AM

anyone?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I did not post before, but if you feel you have a problem with your transmission you can take it to a few places to get a free inspection. Call some places and ask. It sounds to me like you have a clutch plate that is turning into toast. Clutch plates do not last forever, and sometimes need to be replaced. Just because you do not smell it, does not mean damage is not occuring. Because of the location of clutch plates on certain vehicles, some of them are more easily "SMELLED" than others. I am not an expert though, so good luck.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 AM

it might be your throw out bearing.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it might be your throw out bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im pretty sure the noise is ....would that affect anything power wse? or does it just make noise when its bad?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats what it felt like today....and it doesn't always do it....it's done it a few other times since i got my car. does this mean my clutch is slippng?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get going down the road, fully release clutch with car in gear, step on gas, if engine rpm goes up without making car surge forward then yes you do have a slipping clutch.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (Cypher0117)

depends on how bad it is! it could do just the noise or both! I've seen peoples car not go into gear just because of that! its a pain in the butt! umm, my last suggestion is to change it or fix before it gets worse then see if it still does the same thing! do ASAP! don't want to be starting with 1st gear then have to skip 2nd and 3rd and shifting right into 4th after 1st gear. That'll suck even more, well it did for my home boy!!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 PM

sh*t every once in a while it doesn't want to go into 2nd...it feels like its in then i step on the gas and my engine just revs...then i try it agin and it goes in but crap...got to do something about that
Old 06-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Put the car in gear with the e-brake up. Even as you add some gas and ease the clutch out, it should want to stall. If not, your clutch is slipping. If it stalls, or you have to push in the clutch to keep it from stalling, your clutch is NOT slipping. Archaic method, but it does the job.

Modified by AlpineInstaller at 2:44 PM 6/8/2005
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (AlpineInstaller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlpineInstaller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put the car in gear with the e-brake up. Even as you add some gas and ease the clutch out, it should want to stall. If not, your clutch is slipping. If it stalls, or you have to push in the clutch to keep it from stalling, your clutch is slipping. Archaic method, but it does the job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WHICH ONE IS IT?!?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WHICH ONE IS IT?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it stalls the clutch is NOT slipping.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (Hurricane)

haha thanks figured it had to be one or the other
Old 06-08-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (Hurricane)

Ha ha... OOPS. Thanks for the help, Hurricane
Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it might be your throw out bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is exactly what happened on my car just got a new clutch last Thurs. and problem solved now my spedo don't work but it drives and sounds good as hell
Old 06-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (AlpineInstaller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlpineInstaller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put the car in gear with the e-brake up. Even as you add some gas and ease the clutch out, it should want to stall. If not, your clutch is slipping. If it stalls, or you have to push in the clutch to keep it from stalling, your clutch is NOT slipping. Archaic method, but it does the job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i tryed your method and i came up that it seems fine for about the first quarter of the way out (clutch pedal) then it starts to want to stall out.. it this the begining of a slipping clutch or should it have some play in the clutch?

Modified by Cypher0117 at 5:00 PM 6/8/2005
Old 06-08-2005, 06:54 PM

nighttime bump

Quick Reply: weak ride