Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water leak and how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak and how to fix it.

I've searched the site and noticed about 70% of the members on this board seen to have this problem. My passanger side carpet is wet and i believe my drivers side it starting to leak as well. I'm guessing it's coming from a leaking windshield.

I'm trying to take the cowl off so i can look along the bottom of the glass to check the seal. Anyone have tips on how to take those little snap things out that hold the cowl down in the front without breaking them?

I've read a few threads that seem to think it could be a clogged A/C drain hose. Where is that at so i can look at it?

[Modified by mantic6t9, 1:37 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (mantic6t9)

I have the same problem .. just on my drivers side leaks bad durring rain puddles show up .... No idea what the problem .... Drives me crazy I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay somebody to find the problem .... .
Old 02-23-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (JDM_SIR_II)

If it's a clogged A/C drain hose, it'll only happen if you're using/recently used your a/c. Have you? If so, look behind the center console (literally stick your head up against the firewall). It'll be under the dash in the center near the bottom. You should see a hose hanging out if it's your a/c line. As for those clips around the cowl, I dunno. I've not been able to figure anything out except pulling. Although that is on our crx which we don't care too much about since it's going to be full race. You should be able to pick up spare clips from Honda pretty cheap though so if they do break you can just pop new ones in.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (Dave421)

where is the heater core located?..a bad heater core could be the problem
Old 02-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (deepnite)

I've take the cowl off and couldn't see anything that would cause the poroblem under there. I checked the A/C drain hose and i don't think it's cloged, the upper part of the firewall is dry there. It starts getting wet to the right of that. Due to the fact that honda mad it a complete pain in the *** to remove the carpet i can't really dry it well. I think i'm going to cut a hole in the fire wall to get an idea of where it is wet. Maybe that will give me an idea of where the leak is. I have to find the leak, if i don't i'm selling the bitch lol...
Old 02-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Trial User

Look at the pic below. There is a yellowish tube under a black wire. I'm guessing it's some sort of drain tube that goes to the roof of the car, i'm wondering if there is a problem with it. I can't get to anything without stripping my car. So at this point i'm pissed and will be untill it's fixed.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha, figure it out, don't just sell it b/c of a stupid leak.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:10 PM

Look at the pic below. There is a yellowish tube under a black wire. I'm guessing it's some sort of drain tube that goes to the roof of the car, i'm wondering if there is a problem with it. I can't get to anything without stripping my car. So at this point i'm pissed and will be untill it's fixed.
i can not see well, sorry. anyhow, if u are talking about some yellow tubing that goes THROUGHOUT the entire car, i don't think it would be that, those hoses don't pass the frame or outside body of the car. they do goto the trunk however...at least on mine. some type of venting hoses? show us a pic of where it leaks.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (all stock)

let me guess....all of the cars with the leaks are 92-95....the reason is honda never put enought sealent around the bulk-head by the firewall.. Honda was doing a free recall and fix the problem. The leak can either be on the left or right side...take it to honda and ask about that recall...It can be found in a book called Lemon-aide or something...the book with all the used car info and warranties. IM me if you cant get any help from honda.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (Cee_mon)

let me guess....all of the cars with the leaks are 92-95....the reason is honda never put enought sealent around the bulk-head by the firewall.. Honda was doing a free recall and fix the problem. The leak can either be on the left or right side...take it to honda and ask about that recall...It can be found in a book called Lemon-aide or something...the book with all the used car info and warranties. IM me if you cant get any help from honda.
That is very interesting. Do you know for a fact that honda will honor this recall to this day?
Old 02-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if they will still repair for free.....but give me about 15 min and i will post the warranty sheet.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Night_Minx

if you have used the AC at all, theres is a drain located on the bottom of the car, along the firewall. Its a plasitc drain. Blow air in there/use a stick if no compressor. A bunch of **** will come out, and water. Then go.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the bad quality my scanner sucks....save pic and enlarge with a photo program.

[Modified by Cee_mon, 5:40 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Trial User

Yeah i cant tell much from the pic, it gets too distorted when enlarged. From the year i read it doesn't cover anything under the year 94.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:03 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing a larger version of that pic. My car (95 civic ex coupe) soaks the passenger carpet whenever it rains...

Does anyone know for sure if Honda will still honor this recall or not? I assume not, so I'd like to see that pic a little bigger so I can fix it myself.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (M-EJ1)

I'd be very interested in seeing a larger version of that pic. My car (95 civic ex coupe) soaks the passenger carpet whenever it rains...

Does anyone know for sure if Honda will still honor this recall or not? I assume not, so I'd like to see that pic a little bigger so I can fix it myself.
My girlfriends coupe does the EXACT same thing!! All under the passenger seat and behind it in the rear passenger foot well it just forms a big ******* puddle whenever it rains. It's SO nasty because the water sits and lingers and mildews inside her car and it smells really bad. Anyone know what this is caused from...I am glad this thread was started, because I was just about to make one myself
Old 02-23-2003, 11:29 PM

I also have been wanting to look into this. Luckily my carpet is out, so it doesn't harm anything. I wish I could fix it though.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:32 PM

its an improper seam seal on the corner of the firewall that if left un repaired could lead to electrical problems aswell
Old 02-24-2003, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (egcivicbryan21)

here is what the warranty recall said.....this text in taken excatly from the top half of the warranty sheet. You guys can still read the bottom half of the scanned warranty?
Bulletin No.
92-050
Issue date
feb 3, 1997
Mode [NEW]
1992 and later civic
Applicable to [NEW]
ALL
File Under
BODY
Water leak from seam under corner of dash
(supersedes 92-050, dated may 15,1995)
Symptom
A water leak into the footwell under the left or right corner of the dash.
PROBABLE CAUSE
Not enought sealer on the cowl side of the panel-to-bulkhead seam.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for Cee_mon. I think I might go try and either fix this myself on my girlfriends car today, or I will have her take it to Honda and see if they will fix it for free.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (b16a ferio)

i have the same problem....screw honda dealership, i'll fix it myself.....anybody wanna join me in fixing this problem?? i'll post pics and HOW-TO soon.....here in Houston it rains alot and the wet floorboards are starting to **** me off
Old 02-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (SpoonFedHatch)

okay, basically the window cowls seal is ruined, so you need to replace the seal with either a honda one, or like i did some silicone based caulk. here is the hood cowl

here is a closeup of the cowl as you can see, there is black gritty looking ****, which is the silicone caulk.

then, you must pop all of these things out with a small screw driver. take your time, some of them break.

your not ready to lift the cowl yet, next you need to take both of your wipers off, yes i said both. and then seal it with either the oem seal, or silicone caulk, better seal in my opinion.

and if your a very lazy person, like myself. your carpet will end up looking like this after a month of rain, so hurry up, clean the carpet. and seal up that cowl.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (SpoonFedHatch)

i have the same problem....screw honda dealership, i'll fix it myself.....anybody wanna join me in fixing this problem?? i'll post pics and HOW-TO soon.....here in Houston it rains alot and the wet floorboards are starting to **** me off
beat you to the how to..hehe
Old 02-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (josups)

So that's all I need to do to my girlfriends car, get a tube of silicone caulk and run a bead across there? Hmmm....I might try that tonight. Anyones car smell really bad because of this leak? My girlfriends car smells horrible inside...Also, where do you guys experience the leak/wet carpet? Hers i under the passenger seat and in the rear passenger foot well. Is this due to the window cowl seal, or is her problem not related to that?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Water leak and how to fix it. (b16a ferio)

So that's all I need to do to my girlfriends car, get a tube of silicone caulk and run a bead across there? Hmmm....I might try that tonight. Anyones car smell really bad because of this leak? My girlfriends car smells horrible inside...Also, where do you guys experience the leak/wet carpet? Hers i under the passenger seat and in the rear passenger foot well. Is this due to the window cowl seal, or is her problem not related to that?
it is from the window cowl seal, but it settled in that one spot, and the firewall pad thing, is most likely drenched, so check that out. because mine was. i just cut it out, and threw it away. but yeah, follow my directions before you just lay a bead down.

Quick Reply: Water leak and how to fix it.