Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

water into tailights

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water into tailights

hey i just recently installed a 96-00 tailights on my car and i found out that water can get into it and i also think water is the cause of my new tailights' paint to peel out is there a way to fix that?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: water into tailights (Tensa_Zangetsu)

yeah ditch those altezza tail lights and stick to oem
Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: water into tailights (Striker_1818)

I've heard of people doing the method of heating the silicon seal up in the oven, opening up the lights and cleaning them out, then resealing them, but it's a lot of work and you have to worry about overheating your lights or not sealing them all the way again, leaving you with the same exact problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the tail lights out and leave them inside over night, take a hair dryer to the insides of them through the holes (dont get it too close cause it WILL melt) after that take some silicone on your finger and run it around where the crack is
Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

That sounds a whole lot easier, if you know where the crack is. If it is leaking through the silicon it may be hard to find. If there is a visible crack fill it up with something. I used a high bond plastic glue. I think it was Weld On 3, which we use to glue together acrylic and plexi signs. Hard as a rock in about 15 seconds. I've been running over two years with no leaks, so it works, but always test out the plastic glue in a spot unseen at first, because some will eat away certain plastics.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its leaking out of the silicon u scrape off the acess silicon and apply a new layer
Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Yep, thats what I was saying with the whole oven thing lol, but a heat gun/blowdryer would be easier.

The last thing I said about using glue was intended for the plastic light part, not the silicon. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its all good, good luck, i had to do the corners in my del sol
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Again, there's more than non-well sealed taillights that gets water inside them.
Bad bulb socket as in bigger that gets moisture in will cause that as well.
That is the problem with aftermarket taillights. They are mass-produced and the dimensions aren't as exact as oem. Thus, leaving the mass-produced tail lights with errors all over.
Go aftermarket and pray it goes well. You pay for a 200 buck product and expect to work from the first time you have it until it gets destroyed without any malfunctioning. If you have to add a 5 buck silicone to fix it, that says ALOT about the quality of such bought product.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM

lol u guys know wats funny? the tailights that i was installing happens to be a 99-00 oem lights not those altezza. Ironically, the one i had before is altezza(came with it when i bought the car) and i hate the look so switching to the red and white oem tailights.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM

plus the oem i bought has no cracks, so really i dont thinkt he sealing method will be a good idea.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (Striker_1818)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Again, there's more than non-well sealed taillights that gets water inside them.
Bad bulb socket as in bigger that gets moisture in will cause that as well.
That is the problem with aftermarket taillights. They are mass-produced and the dimensions aren't as exact as oem. Thus, leaving the mass-produced tail lights with errors all over.
Go aftermarket and pray it goes well. You pay for a 200 buck product and expect to work from the first time you have it until it gets destroyed without any malfunctioning. If you have to add a 5 buck silicone to fix it, that says ALOT about the quality of such bought product.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM were mass produced.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tensa_Zangetsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol u guys know wats funny? the tailights that i was installing happens to be a 99-00 oem lights not those altezza. Ironically, the one i had before is altezza(came with it when i bought the car) and i hate the look so switching to the red and white oem tailights.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They may look OEM, but did you actually buy them from Honda? There are companies that sell OEM look-a-likes but they are still aftermarket quality.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:19 PM

yes its an oem it said STANLY ON IT and the person that sold it had a 99 ex civic but didnt like the lights so i bought it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Try the silicone.

It's really your only bet unless the issue is just the seals on the back, which I don't think usually cause leaks into the housing.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (Tensa_Zangetsu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tensa_Zangetsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes its an oem it said STANLY ON IT and the person that sold it had a 99 ex civic but didnt like the lights so i bought it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
China makes oem hid kits for bMW and Audi as well
Chances are, they're not oem.
About OEM products being mass-produced, the engineers have them sized up to the millimiter whereas aftermarket is just a guessing and measurements game. That's why when you buy aftermarket products, they do not fit like your oem product does...
Again, this guy got projector headlights for his car from ebay that said oem but when he opened the box, guess what it said?

funny stuff
Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM
H-T White Ops

I was under the impression that if they're made by Stanley, they're OEM. That IS who makes OEM Honda lights.

They sound like OEM lights to me. I don't hear anything that makes them sound like they're more likely to be aftermarket. So they leak... it happens to OEM lights sometime too.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
China makes oem hid kits for bMW and Audi as well
Chances are, they're not oem.
About OEM products being mass-produced, the engineers have them sized up to the millimiter whereas aftermarket is just a guessing and measurements game. That's why when you buy aftermarket products, they do not fit like your oem product does...
Again, this guy got projector headlights for his car from ebay that said oem but when he opened the box, guess what it said?
http://www.haknslash.com/pictu...5.jpg
funny stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>
He didn't say the box they came in said "OEM". He said they came off a '99 Civic EX and the actual stamp in the plastic on the taillights says "STANLEY". Those would be factory taillights.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

You have alot to learn my friend.
From people selling legit stuff to people wanting to make a quick buck.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have alot to learn my friend.
From people selling legit stuff to people wanting to make a quick buck.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Explain how these taillights sound like they're aftermarket.

6th gen OEM Honda lights say STANLEY on them.

Btw, I might have a lot to learn, but so far your posts don't seem to set you off as the type of person who should be telling me I do. I'm not saying you're an idiot. I'm just saying that at least as far as 6th gens, you don't seem to post a lot that proves that you know anything.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

I've own one 5th gen, one 6th and two 8th generations(06 si then sold and got an ex sedan for a dd)...

go buy those aftermarket craps on ebay and they also say "stanley" yet the label says "made in taiwan".
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM

thxs N0FX for not being like an idiot like others. MY TAILIGHTS ARE OEM and do i need to take a picture to prove IT TO U ALL and yes i know wat i am buying and know wat the diff between oem and aftermarket stuff. My problem is water going in my tailights not debating whether my tailights is oem or aftermarket. geezus...
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've own one 5th gen, one 6th and two 8th generations(06 si then sold and got an ex sedan for a dd)...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay. My sister owns a '98 Integra and she knows **** about it too. Owning =/= knowing.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go buy those aftermarket craps on ebay and they also say "stanley" yet the label says "made in taiwan".</TD></TR></TABLE>
Prove it.

Btw, you still didn't say why these taillights "must" be aftermarket taillights. Face it, sometimes OEM lights leak too!

I'd also like if you can tell me where OEM headlights are made. I know, but I want to see what you'll say.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Striker_1818 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've own one 5th gen, one 6th and two 8th generations(06 si then sold and got an ex sedan for a dd)...

go buy those aftermarket craps on ebay and they also say "stanley" yet the label says "made in taiwan".</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd really like to see these tailights that have Stanley and HONDA stamped in the plastic .... that are fake. Please.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: water into tailights (Nickboxer7)

u read my mind
Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 AM

if aftermarket were to stamp stanley and have honda on it they will get sue so if u dont know wat u are talking about plz dont talk b/c it makes u sound like an idiot " go buy those aftermarket craps on ebay and they also say stanley yet the label says made in taiwan."
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: water into tailights (Tensa_Zangetsu)

The mass-production of oem vs. aftermarket aside, I have installed (and reinstalled) both on my sol at various times. One of most effective ways I've dealt w/ waterproofing the seals is:
1. Remove anything electrical (wires, bulbs, etc.)
2. Use a hand held steamer to loosen the adhesive around the lights
3. Clean out all or as much of the old as possible
4. Reseal using Permatex Clear RTV 66B Silicone adhesive

Eliminated all water in headlights problems every time.

btw; make sure you are using the oem gaskets that fit behind the lights

Quick Reply: water into tailights