Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

warning about JUN flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning about JUN flywheel

Hey, I just went from stock clutch and flywheel to Toda 3 puck clutch w/ JUN ultralight flywheel with my B16A. I'm just giving a heads up that if you have an engine with low torque such as a B16 to begin with...stay away from the ultralight flywheel! I've lost mass torque and it feels so sluggish. I knew I would lose torque but I didn't think it would be this bad.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks to be jOO
Old 02-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

why would you need a toda 3 puck on a b16a? a ACT HDSS would hold up great for that motor...probly even if you turboed it....think you went a little overboard on that. That engagement has to suck ***...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: (xerox445)

I have a JUN ultralight flywheel and an ACT 2600psi clutch.
I donno what you're talkina bout man.
Sure Im at 108ft lbs but it's not a HUGE loss at all, it revs really fast, don't you agree?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: (CandyRedHatch)

Different parts work with different applications.
I understand how you think theres a loss in power, I love the quick rev.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (SLeePeR012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Different parts work with different applications.
I understand how you think theres a loss in power, I love the quick rev.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, just giving my two cents.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (CandyRedHatch)

i have a b16a2 as well

i just put in the exedy organic clutch with exedy 9lb flywheel...

even before i put that in, the car was sluggish down low (0-3k rpms) but after that it starts to pick up

i'd rahter have this 9lb flywheel than the stock 18lb flywheel ANY DAY of the week. .

but i do agree there isnt much power down low, not that there was any to begin with . . . but yeah you do have to give it a bit more gas if your try to shift all economically n **** down low
Old 02-24-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (SeanJohn1802)

if you have an almost or completely stock b16 setup, i think that the ACT streetlite flywheel would have been a better idea. it usually weighs in at about
11-12 lbs...
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the act street FW can be had for right around 200 mabey a little lower SHIPPED...

Edit: I think this is a case of the JDM Bling Blues...though JUN has good parts, and its JDM and its l33t and all, it wasent the best product for the application. Did you buy it just because of the name?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a jun flywheel in my b16a2 and and act street/strip clutch and i didnt have any problems i like the flywheel that toda clutch is overkill i only ran a street/strip disc and hdpressure plate in my turbo hatch
Old 02-24-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (hatchbackhonda)

Again I will say I know it is assumed the Toda 3 puck is overkill but I had to buy a new tranny, clutch and flywheel and it was only $200 and it was already at the shop so I did it..and I love it, it is not that aggressive at all.

Modified by CandyRedHatch at 6:20 PM 2/24/2004
Old 02-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

flywheel drops revs quicker = sluggish low torque
Old 02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sigh, you don't loose any power with a flywheel.... if anything you'd see less drivetrain lose because of less rotating weight on the engine.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sigh, you don't loose any power with a flywheel.... if anything you'd see less drivetrain lose because of less rotating weight on the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was waiting for someone to say that. a light flywheel if anything will give you more torque, because the engine has less work to do.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didt say u lose power i said it becomes sluggish because it drops the revs so fast so u cant stay in the power band as easy
Old 02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CandyRedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, the lighter the flywheel the more torque you lose, especially at low end, which is why drag cars have heavier flywheels, because they need that low end power for launch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They have it so that the mass that is spun upto speed, stays spun up during shifts. Otherwise a light flywheel promotes acceleration. Its not a TQ issue.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CandyRedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, the lighter the flywheel the more torque you lose, especially at low end, which is why drag cars have heavier flywheels, because they need that low end power for launch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Incorrect. They use heavier flywheels because the torque the engine makes will shatter flywheels that are too light. If it takes less inertia to move an object, more of the initial engagement energy is going to be transmitted through the object's center to the destination. It's physics.

It also helps in shifts to keep the revs up because the inertial energy is kept high due to the spinning of the more massive flywheel.

If you want to argue whether or not it's a good addition to your car, keep going, but don't try and argue the physics of hp and tq with the members of this site. We know better .
Old 02-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CandyRedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know my car now has less torque. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the problem. You never lost any torque, and yet even after we explain it to you. You still claim to have lost it. Your butt dyno needs a swift kick maybe, to recalibrate it.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:10 PM

the only reason you see crazy drag cars with heavier flywheels, is because light ones are too weak.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didt say u lose power i said it becomes sluggish because it drops the revs so fast so u cant stay in the power band as easy</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell are you talking about? your gear ratios aren't changing. shift into 3rd at redline with a 600 lb flywheel and you'll drop to 4000. shift into 3rd at redline with a 6lb flywheel and you'll still drop to 4000. hence you will not become sluggish, because gearing is what determines staying in the powerband or not - not the momentum of the rotating assembly. if you're retarded and take forever to shift, the revs will drop too much, but the syncros will spin the engine back up, because of the gearing.

i don't think you people really understand the concept of a what a flywheel does.
http://www.howstuffworks.com
Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the problem. You never lost any torque, and yet even after we explain it to you. You still claim to have lost it. Your butt dyno needs a swift kick maybe, to recalibrate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM

no you didn't. you lost momentum.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (SikCivic)

you didnt lose any power! your car still has the same hp/tq that it did before...are you simply complaining that your revs drop and you hafta bring em back up!?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warning about JUN flywheel (2trix)

HAHA, he deleted all his posts where he kept claiming a lose in power... Be a man and own upto your mistakes
Old 02-24-2004, 02:27 PM

I deleted my posts because I was never trying to start an argument, and internet arguments are so pathetic. I was telling an opinion and trying to learn more about it but it was pointless.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CandyRedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I deleted my posts because I was never trying to start an argument, and internet arguments are so pathetic. I was telling an opinion and trying to learn more about it but it was pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only argument was you trying to tell us you lost power. Even after a few of us confirmed that was not the issue and took the time to explain why. If you don't like internet arguments, don't be the creator of them.

Listen instead of just retorting.

Quick Reply: warning about JUN flywheel