Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though?

I'm surprised I couldnt find a thread like this searching.

I have a 93 Cx, the stock UPS truck sized steering wheel needs to be replaced because the rubber grip at the top is able to flex back and forth. I want to replace my steering wheel with something else but don't really know what to do.

If I get a non SRS wheel for my car, will insurance not cover me if something happens?

I was thinking of just getting a Momo racing wheel or maybe a non SRS ITR wheel.

Can anyone who has replaced their wheel in their Civics throw in their two cents about this?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (GetawayInMoscow)

I had a Momo Tuner in my car and now have a Non-SRS ITR wheel. I never told my insurance company that the airbag is removed. Why don't you get a 98 Spec SRS ITR wheel?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm surprised I couldnt find a thread like this searching.

I have a 93 Cx, the stock UPS truck sized steering wheel needs to be replaced because the rubber grip at the top is able to flex back and forth. I want to replace my steering wheel with something else but don't really know what to do.

If I get a non SRS wheel for my car, will insurance not cover me if something happens?

I was thinking of just getting a Momo racing wheel or maybe a non SRS ITR wheel.

Can anyone who has replaced their wheel in their Civics throw in their two cents about this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im going to do a momo wheel as my stocker has the same problem as yours.

As for the SRS, honostly I would rather take my chances without the airbag, but I will also be running harnesses so I doubt I would even get close to the wheel in a head on colision.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a Momo Tuner in my car and now have a Non-SRS ITR wheel. I never told my insurance company that the airbag is removed. Why don't you get a 98 Spec SRS ITR wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not the problem...what im worried about is:

getting in an accident, the insurance company saying "why didnt your airbag go off" and then me having to say i didnt have one
Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats not the problem...what im worried about is:

getting in an accident, the insurance company saying "why didnt your airbag go off" and then me having to say i didnt have one</TD></TR></TABLE>

You ready for the solution? A.) stop being such a ***** and just put the aftermarket non-SRS wheel on it or B.) stop whining about your stock wheel and either keep it or shell out large amounts of money for a new OEM wheel with an airbag.

This is one of those situations wherein you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can pick up a Momo wheel for cheap and have no airbag or you can get an expensive stocker with a bag for lots of cash.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (Archidictus)

Gee thanks...god forbid someone asks a question on honda-tech without getting insulted...
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you try to make a claim on your car and the insurance adjuster sees that you removed your air bag they might not cover the claim.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but I will also be running harnesses so I doubt I would even get close to the wheel in a head on colision.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope you plan on installing a roll cage or at least a roll bar with if you plan on using harnesses.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (JDM-97CX)

Anyone know if the Integra Type R non SRS wheel has a smaller diameter than the stock Civic wheel? Does the stock JDM EG wheel have a smaller diameter?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If I get a non SRS wheel for my car, will insurance not cover me if something happens?</TD></TR></TABLE>

only if they find out you messed with it and taken it off the car. if someone does find out, say the police when they run your vin# (the computer will pop up "airbag equipt" thats why they ask you if your airbags deployed, the other party sees theres no oem steeringwheel, or if the insurance officer does his inspection when making his decision on salvaging the car or not. and also know that you can be sued by the other party... could be the most important idiot dicision you can make. just to look cool with an aftermarket wheel.

but if you dont plan on being rich or have a house, or anythinglike that go ahead... and by god hope that another import enthusiast doesnt hits you,,,because im sure he/she will know you are suppose to legally have the airbag steering wheel.

unfortunately i had a mugen wheel and jdm detachable system. sold it because i have way too much $ to loose, just for a stupid steeringwheel.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure of the diameter, but i am going to take a logical guess and say the ITR wheel is smaller. I have seen 98+ SRS ITR Steering wheels on ebay, but they run about 600$. CTR's obviously won't fit unless you change the column.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Want to get a new steering wheel, what about safety though? (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only if they find out you messed with it and taken it off the car. if someone does find out, say the police when they run your vin# (the computer will pop up "airbag equipt" thats why they ask you if your airbags deployed, the other party sees theres no oem steeringwheel, or if the insurance officer does his inspection when making his decision on salvaging the car or not. and also know that you can be sued by the other party... could be the most important idiot dicision you can make. just to look cool with an aftermarket wheel.

but if you dont plan on being rich or have a house, or anythinglike that go ahead... and by god hope that another import enthusiast doesnt hits you,,,because im sure he/she will know you are suppose to legally have the airbag steering wheel.

unfortunately i had a mugen wheel and jdm detachable system. sold it because i have way too much $ to loose, just for a stupid steeringwheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, this is the kind of response I was looking for. I guess I will just go find a new blue steering wheel out of a junkyard or just put on a black Integra wheel.

Anyone know if the Integra wheel is smaller than a Civic wheel?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyone know if the Integra wheel is smaller than a Civic wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is. It's 350mm like the Momo Tuner.