Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec problems, need help

hey guys this is my first post here, I think I have vtec problems. I bought my first civic a month ago (97 ex) and I've been google'ing for the past week trying to figure this out but my knowledge of vtec and really motors in general is squat so here is whats going on,

I installed a vtec light in my gauge cluster, I ran it to the ecu and I only got it to work one time. I figured I wasn't clipping it right or something and it would be easier to run it to the solenoid, well I did that and after a few tries I got it to work (came on twice when getting up to 5500rpm)

I unhooked everything because it was just taped together and put all good connecting clips on it and tried it out and the light never came on. So I took all hte clips off and hot wired everything where I knew it had to be making connection to everything and still... nothing.

I thought maybe the bulb I put in was bad so I took that bulb out and today replaced new bulb (put 2 bulbs in so I could have a better chance and tested them before hand), rewired everything and STILL no vtec light

I've read to check and see if its throwing codes because codes could keep it from working? I just don't understand why it would work those three times and then not again.

but I took my negative battery cable off for like 15 minutes today to see if anything needed to reset itself and still no light came on. I heard about removing the ECU fuse in the engine bay to reset it after installed header/intake ect and that might help but I haven't done it yet because I figured the negative battery cable would do it.

honestly I could care less about getting the light to work but now I think my vtec itself has the issue and I know nothing about them or how to test it (other than the light of course)

any input on this is greatly appreciated
Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec problems, need help

Make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the motor. If there are no codes coming up this might be the issue. The Ecu checks the speed sensor and oil pressure before it will crack it over. The ECT needs to be connected also it makes sure the engone is to temp.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: vtec problems, need help

by checking speed sensor do you mean it has to be a certain speed? I'm assuming its working since my speedo works fine?

ect = engine coolant temperature sensor?