Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec but no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec but no power

Hi guys.. I got a 92 civic hatch with a b16 swap. Problem is that when i get to vtec engagement point i hear it, but theres no power gain. Again i hear the sweet sound of vtec but i don't feel it. Is it possible that the cams arent the correct ones?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if it's all stock then it's normal. I used to date a chick that drove an si. It honestly sucked. No pull.

I have an EK with a GSR motor now. I can't "feel" the vtec in it either but it does activate. I feel and hear the secondary butterflies more than vtec.

If you really wanna "feel" the vtec, get some blox or skunk2 stage 2 cams.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vtec but no power (thegamettt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegamettt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys.. I got a 92 civic hatch with a b16 swap. Problem is that when i get to vtec engagement point i hear it, but theres no power gain. Again i hear the sweet sound of vtec but i don't feel it. Is it possible that the cams arent the correct ones?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i feel the same..i dont feel pull by my b16a jdm sir2 engine..i guess it is normal
Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Vtec but no power (crazyguy)

problem #1...you have a b16
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a b16a2 in my eg si hatch and when i hit vtec i feel the pool. it's awesome.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec but no power (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">problem #1...you have a b16</TD></TR></TABLE>
lolol ohh dont be hattin'.

To the OP:
Do you mean to say you've felt a change in its performance since youve had it, like was there a point where you felt it pulled more? Have you previously owned another civic? Did it pull harder?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM
im hench irl

Default Re: (lilo_goki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b16a2 in my eg si hatch and when i hit vtec i feel the pool. it's awesome.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can feel VTEC (it isn't much though) with my GSR swapped EK, but then again it has CTR cams and some more compression
Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b16a2 in my eg si hatch and when i hit vtec i feel the pool. it's awesome.</TD></TR></TABLE>

vtec makes you wet?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM

No never had another civic before. its a little project car me and my friend got. i've owned two preludes so i know the pull of vtec. its just very weak and i completely dust this thing with the 5th gen lude. we had a crx with a b16 in it before and the pull was just ridiculous. to me it just feels like the "aggresive" cam lobe isn't aggressive at all.. its the same. I just feel things thing should be going a lot faster than it is. it has a short ram intake, aem fuel rail and pressure regulator.. considering the supposed power to weight ratio the hatch should be spanking my lude, not dropping back a car length every gear. its pretty slow.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegamettt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys.. I got a 92 civic hatch with a b16 swap. Problem is that when i get to vtec engagement point i hear it, but theres no power gain. Again i hear the sweet sound of vtec but i don't feel it. Is it possible that the cams arent the correct ones?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats kind of wierd. I have a bone stock gen 2 B16A in my CX and the thing cranks above 5k (for a 1.6l I-4).
Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep in mind those motors average about 160-170 hp (never had one before so im guestimating) so dont expect the car to white smoke, and go side ways at 5k rpm...

get some cams in the hoe and i bet you'll be satisfied.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 PM
im hench irl

Default Re: (fatpride111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep in mind those motors average about 160-170 hp (never had one before so im guestimating) so dont expect the car to white smoke, and go side ways at 5k rpm...

get some cams in the hoe and i bet you'll be satisfied.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell are you baffling about?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 PM

I guess i just over estimated these things. lol. ppo used to swear these swaps would spank me. i guess they meant built ones. i think we're gonna tear it apart this weekend and do some major headwork. any recommendations for NA? i was thinking ctr or crower cams with ti valves / springs? we're hoping to get it track ready in a few months. hopefully it doesnt get stolen b4 then. lol thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What the hell are you baffling about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you would read the topic you would know, retard.

im just clearifying that, although a good motor, its still weak stock, and you cant expect a sudden boost out of vtec in a motor that has about 160-ish hp.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just clearifying that, although a good motor, its still weak stock, and you cant expect a sudden boost out of vtec in a motor that has about 160-ish hp.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM
im hench irl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you would read the topic you would know, retard.

im just clearifying that, although a good motor, its still weak stock, and you cant expect a sudden boost out of vtec in a motor that has about 160-ish hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How can you say that if you never owned a b16? Your makin **** up. I read the topic retard, you just threw me off with your saying's of "expect the car to white smoke" and "go side ways at 5k rpm" thats quoted from your post. You also said "(never had one before so im guestimating)" so your making assumptions. You also said "get some cams in the hoe and i bet you'll be satisfied." Installing cams in a stock motor wouldnt do much without a good intake manifold and a good exhaust, not to mention a good tune. So i guess you forgot to mention that didn't you retard?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... u dont need to own a motor to know how much power it makes, obviously. ive never owned a H22, but i know it makes around 200 hp. with that said, he's obviously going to, or in the near future install a intake, and exhaust in his car if he's looking for any kind of performance, i didnt know i'd have to go all out with details, but i guess when u have the i.q. of a broken lightbulb, sometimes details aren't a bad idea.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
im hench irl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..i HAVE looked up VTECH info on wikipedia, but its in smart people language, and as u can tell, im an idiot... i need someone to dumb it out for me please </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not even gona respond to you anymore after reading that. Just shut your mouth and stop blabin' about **** you dont know about.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, refering to something my brother posted up to make me seem stupid, or you just dont have a comeback? (he gets on sometimes instead of making his own account)

either way u look bad, cause IF i did write that (which i already specified that i didnt), then u just got out smarted by someone who aperantly doesnt know how vtec works, and whos aperantly an idiot.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a b16 hatch isnt fast, but im sure it should be quicker than a 5th gen prelude.

Ive walked a b16 hatch in my integra gsr and stayed dead even with another. They arent all that great. My friends EF with a b16 im sure would have taken out a stock or bolt-on prelude.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

really, vtec is not a "turbo-thruster" or some booster rocket like everyone talks about. it's just a best-of-both-worlds machine. honda built a motor that would run normally and get good economy in normal driving ranges. when you run it high enough in the rpm range (depending one the motor/ECU) you get the performance that honda assumes you are looking for. one of there goals in designing the system is that you don't notice it happen. it should come in smoothly and pick up where the normal cam lobes would loose power.

also, about the b16... it's lovingly known as the torqueless wonder. in simple terms torque is what you "feel," power is what the car will do. (not the best way to put it, but for the sake of answering you question without going into some big science lesson it'll do)
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

i walked a gsr integra down the 8th mile by a little ova a car length and i suck at launching.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Vtec but no power (hondamark35)

I can hear and feel the vtec hit at 2800 in my hx.....its great to feel that sliding pin open up those other 8 valves fully unleashing the full 32 horsepower of my motor ....but to the op.....never ridden in a b16 but i know stock wise they lack the torque....get bigger cams or.....get a h22...vtec hits pretty hard in those
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec but no power (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can hear and feel the vtec hit at 2800 in my hx.....its great to feel that sliding pin open up those other 8 valves fully unleashing the full 32 horsepower of my motor ....but to the op.....never ridden in a b16 but i know stock wise they lack the torque....get bigger cams or.....get a h22...vtec hits pretty hard in those</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.....just lol

Quick Reply: Vtec but no power