Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vinyl Removal ( I apologize)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl Removal ( I apologize)

First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologize for posting this topic here, however I am new to the Honda world and since I have recently signed up on this forum and have only been reading posts to learn everything I can, I was unable to post in the appearence costmetic forums. This has a little bit of both though.

When I purchased my car, the gentleman I bought my car from had placed green vinyl "stick-on" graphics down the side of the car, which would not be bad except for the fact that they have overlapping lines in some areas, and I have grown tired of them and would like to remove them. What would be some suggestions and/or the best way to remove them without damaging the paint/removing any clear coating from the paint. I have heard to use a heat gun to have them basically fall off, then give it a good waxing, but I'd prefer others opions before I begin.

Secondly, I did also have a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator installed on the car. I have no idea where it was set to when I got the car, nor do I know now. The reason I bring this up is the fact that here and there, and I do mean very RARELY, the car will have trouble starting up after a run, generally while it is warm out and the car is warm, giving me the vibe that it's receiving too much fuel. Could this be the result of the regulator being cranked up to high? I would appreciate some opinions on this as well. Again I apologize for not getting the exact forum correct and also for the lengthy post however I appreciate the opportunity to learn more into what so far has been the most reliable and fun car I have ever had thus far.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
1999 Honda Civic EX
D16Y8 1.6 SOHC VTEC

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2366628
Old 09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (bart2546)

take off the wing first. they should peel off like a sticker
Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the wing first. they should peel off like a sticker</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.

BTW the car is hideous, please lose the rice asap
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (Earthworm Jim)

Well, I'm not one to fight over especially online however I am apt to the wing on the car, and from my area anything that has a Japanese background, is considered a "rice burner" However as I first posted, the vinyls do have to go. Those I am not a fan of.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep.

Ditch the trunk park bench, the stickers, rims and the altezzas.

Also, the Fuel pressure regulator should be removed too. I *think* it's that purple thing on your fuel rail. You're running it stock; you don't need an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, put it back to stock.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use an eraser wheel to take them off, but a heat gun will probably be the best and easiest way to take em off.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (Kruzen510)

Thank you for the input on how to remove the vinyls. My question though, and this is not being a smart-***, is why are things to add to the looks of the car bad, such as the rims. I can understand the wing a little bit because it's extremely huge, but if someone is going for more show and just slow, rather than a sleeper what is so wrong with these items? I personally appreciate the fact that everyone has their own opinion and not everyone likes the looks of everyones cars. But to be honest I do not have the funds to put massive amounts of money into the motor due to the fact that I have financed the car so I try to do small visual effects instead....
Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 PM

Just take off the spoiler and buy a front lip and get rid of those tail lights and get some stock and then slam that thing!!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jdmturbos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdmturbos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just take off the spoiler and buy a front lip and get rid of those tail lights and get some stock and then slam that thing!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

so he can look like every other civic on this forum
Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: (WhiteOut)

You guys are a bunch of A$$es...he ask a question not YOUR OPINION

-Use a hard spatula and try to peel the corners. I have seen 3M has a kit that takes out stickers. They have that spatula and remover solvent. try in the small area first to test the solvent.

-If that that does not work. Use a heat gun. A word of caution do not heat it too long or too close because your car paint will melt off. Left to Right heating motion to get the sticker to wrinkle or soften.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:53 PM

ouchhh hurting... well you can try to use a hair dryer and goo gone always works for those civic sticker badge things and pin stripes
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the wing first. they should peel off like a sticker</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea that and tha Big H on tha hood
Old 09-18-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (jdmEF8racer)

Do what you want as far as mods to your car. If YOU like it thats all that matters.

as far as removing the vinyl.... A non-metallic scraping tool a heat gun and some 3m adhesive remover works pretty well. Also make sure to wash your car once your done.Oh and take your time.

have fun
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would be embarrased to ride in that car. Its so retarded when people do all this **** to their car and then you pop the hood and its stock. yeah you would get ****** smoked and just go cry on ur self cause ur car isnt even worthy of crying on.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (JeffBro)

I give the OP major props for being so formal and WRITING IN A LEGIBLE AND PROPER WAY. Welcome to you as we need more peeps like you

. Dont let anyone talk you into changing the looks of your car, its yours not theirs. Seems like a clean car. Yes, i would say anything engine wise should go back to stock because honda engineered their car right from the get go.

Good luck with the car!

PS. search is your friend!!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for the input on how to remove the vinyls. My question though, and this is not being a smart-***, is why are things to add to the looks of the car bad, such as the rims. I can understand the wing a little bit because it's extremely huge, but if someone is going for more show and just slow, rather than a sleeper what is so wrong with these items? I personally appreciate the fact that everyone has their own opinion and not everyone likes the looks of everyones cars. But to be honest I do not have the funds to put massive amounts of money into the motor due to the fact that I have financed the car so I try to do small visual effects instead....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't worry about them. They're not a new species, rather old infact, they're called "********." They can't stand to see the fact that people have their own preferences for their own car(s)' aesthetic apperance. They also can't seem to grasp the fact that the term "rice" pretty much applies to any Japanese car here in America, not to mention I gurantee you 70% of them don't even know where the term "rice burner" came from (you'll hear the infamously <u>wrong</u> "because the americans thought it came from asia, and there's lots of rice over there" but that's just somebody talking out of their *** because they don't know what's really going on. If it bothers them that much they'll move to Japan and out the fu3k of this country, but we can hope, can't we?

A heat gun to that stick on will take it right off, no worries about that. Also, I'd ditch the sattelite on the trunk, but it's your car, so if that's what floats ur boat: to ya.

As for ur starting problem. Ignore it. The intervals between happenings are so long you may not even know if you've fixed it or not. You could change a piece then 3 months down the road it can happen again. I have the same problem with the code 43 CEL, comes on once in a blue moon, took 4 round trips or so 250+ miles (each way) from Rochester to the Hudston Valley and haven't seen it once....but it came on the other day when I went to the airport (3 minutes away). Problems like that you just have to kinda ignore until the symptoms become obvious as hell - then you can worry about 'em and they're a lot easier to find and pacify. Until it won't start or it happens more often or you throw a CEL, don't worry about it. People could say **** like it's better to fix it now then possibly have problems later so if you want you can go replace your entire fuel system to be on the safe side - I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vinyl Removal (Syndacate)

Thank you for the input in removing the vinyls. I did use a hairdryer to loosen up the adhesive and just peeled back an edge and removed all of them. I used "Goo-Gone" to remove the lines that they left. All in all it only took me about an hour and a half. I will continue to learn from from everything here because this forum, I feel, is the most informational forum on Hondas I have found in searches thus far. And just for additional information, future modifications will come, it will just have to be at a time when I can either A) Fina cheap deals or B) Just have some more free funds. Again thank you for the thoughts, it did work out well and if I have any other questions or answers to anything, I will be sure to post.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Vinyl Removal

I would say if you like the wing leave it. lose the ebay altesas because they dont work as good as stock and wil crack yelow and the glue comes undone on the lenses but drop it a good inch and a half
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for the input in removing the vinyls. I did use a hairdryer to loosen up the adhesive and just peeled back an edge and removed all of them. I used "Goo-Gone" to remove the lines that they left. All in all it only took me about an hour and a half. I will continue to learn from from everything here because this forum, I feel, is the most informational forum on Hondas I have found in searches thus far. And just for additional information, future modifications will come, it will just have to be at a time when I can either A) Fina cheap deals or B) Just have some more free funds. Again thank you for the thoughts, it did work out well and if I have any other questions or answers to anything, I will be sure to post. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been around to quite a few other honda sites (on different names of course) and I have to say this one is probably the best by very far just in the way that there's so many people, and so many people that are incredibly knowledgable of automotive subjects, and so many people that are willing to help. Though with some good comes some bad as with all these great people comes a nice, big, plump, handful of ******* ******** who decide not to help the 16 year old kid that came from ebay w/ his aztellas and needs help because they're leaking. at them. To each his own, applies to girlfriend/boyfriends as well as cars O.o.

Nice on the vynal removal, not sure what you have to do now, the wax you mentioned might not be a far cry from anything non-realistic. I would but I was thinking maybe a washer and buff would be possible. Maybe somebody could back me up or negate what I'm saying? Or even wash the car nicely, then wet sand it O.O - <U>NOT DRY STAND IT!!</U> - it'll take the sticky stuff right the hell off, then buff it out (or don't) when you're finished and it'll be good as new .
Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if that car was in my town, most likely a dude named paco would be driving it.

spanish dudes around here love big wings
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

keep it the same, lookin dope!!

really vinyls just peel off, tho, hopefully
Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: (whiteef8)

dont listen to these asses its your car you do what you want to it. everbody here has jumped on the "jdm" "oem" bandwagon
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-Gary-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ditch the trunk park bench, the stickers, rims and the altezzas.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

all the way
Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hate the vinyls, not just yours, everybodies, but to each there own... i would look up the stock fuel pressure and set your adjustable to that, that way if you do mod your car later ( turbo???) then you still have the regulator to help tune. also, leave the wing/lights/vinyl and whatever else you want on your car... if you want to put a picture of crocadile dundee on your hood or whatever, then do it... you know why??? CAUSE ITS YOUR CAR, have fun and good luck...
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gottalovethe4door)

The easiest way to remove the vinyl is going to be with a heat gun.

Second, the reason people are saying lose the wheels is b/c they aren't JDM and the "look ricey". (I'll have to agree with that though. The tail lights are the same.

You're not going to be able to adjust the fuel pressure back to stock without a fuel pressure gauge. I would go to a junk yard and get another FPR and put it on and sell that B&M unit you have.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Removal ( I apologize)