Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Various Rattle Annihilation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Various Rattle Annihilation Thread

I hate to be the guy who posts in a 1yr+ old thread.

But really. good idea of a thread.

Woodpecker noise 2.0 = Loose battery tray
Didgeridoo while RPM falling = Plastic circular thing on shift boot rattling against shiftier.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a rattle and thumps from the rear passenger area in my hatch turned out the plastic anchor on the 1/4 panel holding the bumper wasn't holding it all the way up. Replaced plastic anchor just shook everything until I found it.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Rattles from interior panels can be fixed by removing the panel and placing a small bit of scotch tape in the clips.

The clips get weaker as the years slip by and gaps form between the male and female sides that allow the panels to rattle around. The scotch tape fills the gaps and thus retain the panels.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car rattles very badly when going over "washboard" style bumps on parking lots/roads. But my car is sprung super stiff. Sounds like little pcs on front end loose. Been on rack at work many many times. Nothing loose. Oh well handling over comfort/quietness
Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My EG Hatchback has a creaking noise coming from the rear passenger side (right side). At first it only happens when I enter and get up from the car and when I apply the handbrakes on an inclined surface. The brake pads for the drums had been recently replaced along with two new rear shock absorbers. Bushings had been replaced more than a year ago.

Now after I lowered my car another inch it started creaking all the time when the car is moving especially over humps, bumps and uneven roads.

here's a short video of the noise while I'm parked in my garage.

and here's one while moving. Sorry for the creaking clutch.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get me started on embarrassing noises hahaha. One of my exhaust hooks was to short so I had to put on an extender. Now the extender hits a metal bar attached to chassis and is heard all the time. Also, entire dash rattles at start up due to low idle in the cold. Also from previous owner making stupid modifications and having to put the dash back together with various screws and bolts. And lastly my god forsaken aftermarket steering wheel!!! I don't know what is causing it but its like the worlds smallest metal on metal rattle noise right there in my face all damn day.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Trial User

Sometimes if you don't have that little thing that holds the roof up it will rattle like crazy against the frame
Old 04-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello I have a 1995 honda del sol with about 197,000 miles on it. Last week I noticed a rattling at about 1500rpm so I change oil and there were no metal shavings and the rattling doesn't get louder as I accelerate. I'm losted please let me know if anyone has experience this and what it could be.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts

Can't wait to read this old thread.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Trial User

I have a 2003 Civic EX. I've been hearing a rattling when I'm driving. It gets especially loud when the engine is shifting from 1st to 2nd. I don't hear it in Park or Reverse.

I've also been having an oil leak problem. I don't know if the two can be related.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaruza
My EG Hatchback has a creaking noise coming from the rear passenger side (right side). At first it only happens when I enter and get up from the car and when I apply the handbrakes on an inclined surface. The brake pads for the drums had been recently replaced along with two new rear shock absorbers. Bushings had been replaced more than a year ago.

Now after I lowered my car another inch it started creaking all the time when the car is moving especially over humps, bumps and uneven roads.

here's a short video of the noise while I'm parked in my garage.

EG Hatchback rear passenger side creaking sound - YouTube

and here's one while moving. Sorry for the creaking clutch.

creaking sound from rear - YouTube
I wonder if they ever figured this out. I have a creaking in the same area...
Old 04-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Rattles recently fixed on my 1999 Civic:

Trunk area, rear speaker area: laid down dynamat-like product under carpet in trunk, and on the trunk lid, and around the rear speakers. Not end-to-end just judiciously. Fix and car is a quieter.
Door rattles: dynamat on door and replaced all the inside door panel clips with new clips from Amazon. Problem gone.
Odd clunking from front of car: replaced Upper control arms, clunk gone and super smooth driving on top of that
Weird wind noises and odd sounds from tire area: discovered many clips missing in tire wells holding the wheel wells in place. Replaced with new ones from Amazon and problem fixed. I guess it was flapping.
Rattle from rear seats area: I put tape over the area where the seat goes back up and catches to hold in place. Rattle gone.
I've been slowly replacing clips whenever I see one that it loose. I bought a bag of like 50 from Amazon for each kind so I can just pop them in when I see them missing.
Still get squeaks on bumpy roads, but mostly quiet in the car overall (for a civic)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
I wonder if they ever figured this out. I have a creaking in the same area...
let me tell you my brother i had the exact same thing on my ej8 you can check my posts* and the problem ended up being the lca's spring bushing.It was soo worned out that the metal was rubbing against the strut.I had changed everything but the lca before that.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Rattles recently fixed on my 1999 Civic:

Trunk area, rear speaker area: laid down dynamat-like product under carpet in trunk, and on the trunk lid, and around the rear speakers. Not end-to-end just judiciously. Fix and car is a quieter.
Door rattles: dynamat on door and replaced all the inside door panel clips with new clips from Amazon. Problem gone.
Odd clunking from front of car: replaced Upper control arms, clunk gone and super smooth driving on top of that
Weird wind noises and odd sounds from tire area: discovered many clips missing in tire wells holding the wheel wells in place. Replaced with new ones from Amazon and problem fixed. I guess it was flapping.
Rattle from rear seats area: I put tape over the area where the seat goes back up and catches to hold in place. Rattle gone.
I've been slowly replacing clips whenever I see one that it loose. I bought a bag of like 50 from Amazon for each kind so I can just pop them in when I see them missing.
Still get squeaks on bumpy roads, but mostly quiet in the car overall (for a civic)
can i ask which clip you bought off amazon ?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Just got back in the scene after a 11 years of no Honda in my life. Picked up and EG with innovative motor mounts and EVERYTHING rattles. I'm going to try using dynamat and the clip suggestion and try eliminating one by one. I'll update as I go along.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2022, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump! My entire 93 si interior rattles on idle. The funny thing is that my motor mounts are all oem. They do look old so maybe its time to replace them....