Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades

I have a 97 civic lx with a D16Y7 in it. It already has a flow master muffler on it with 2" pipe from the resonator back. It also has a dc sport header on it. I am thinking of going with 2" pipe from the header flange back to the other 2" pipe. I was wondering what some good upgrades are that wont break the bank. I don't want to go v-tech (unless you know of an easy way to do it), I also don't want to do a full engine swap. I'm just wondering what intake manifold I should use, or what valve train I should use to do a mini me swap. I know I won't gain a lot of hp out of a d engine. I just wanna know what I can do to gain anything.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Upgrades

You guys are just coming out of the woodwork with this same question.

You have a Y7. Stop trying to get blood out of a turnip. Start looking into something else like suspension.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed, d series need more than simple upgrades they need alottt.

throw a b series in it or be cool like myself and go with a 2.2l 200hp/160 tq...good power and torque right outta the box...

probably not what you wanna hear but man these threads have GOT to stop, every hour or so someone is asking how to have a faster sohc civic.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you already asked this question and had your thread locked

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/cheep-upgrades-3140781/
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you want a phone in you'r car IT'S VTEC not vtech. if you want it swap a y8/z6 head onto you'r y7 block then wire up vtec. not hard at all
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
The Grumpiest

Ugh. I knew this one sounded familiar.
OP can it with the SPAM. If you don't want to read then go look at the appearance threads. They have pictures.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NICE, can we now jack this thread and just talk about non sense....

i installed gates racing silicone vacuum hoses on my h22 the other day, and i also am looking into putting hood lift supports on my car..lol

Seriously i believe there is a thread (FAQ) stating basic upgrades for civics/d series/and or swaps. OP needs to check the FAQ, tons of great info and will lead you in the right direction based on your mechanical ability and budget
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like he's not keen on reading....or realizing that engine has all of 106 hp and was NEVER meant to be upgraded.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am assuming you have a b series or some other swap... I am all for some dohc vtec engines... i personally hate d series for several reasons that i will not explain or else this could turn into a E-fight over what is the best but overall a b swap is a good choice or in my case a H22
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll use this thread for my own intents and purposes then, lol! I would like to upgrade MY d16y7, but for optimal gas mileage. I've already put in new NGK plugs, new OEM cap and rotor, K&N air filter (OEM panel style)...aside from the obvious, like airing up my tires and whatnot, are there any tricks to get more MPG out of the engine? Advancing/retarding timing, maybe? Eventually I'm probably going to be swapping in a D15B for the sick gas mileage those get, but for right now its just little stuff to help out the stock engine.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice...a little adjustment of the right foot can affect gas milage... i get great mpg with my h22a hb, i get about 24-26mpg...

I have issues with my right foot sometimes which yields 21mpg lol
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
Ok, I'll use this thread for my own intents and purposes then, lol! I would like to upgrade MY d16y7, but for optimal gas mileage. I've already put in new NGK plugs, new OEM cap and rotor, K&N air filter (OEM panel style)...aside from the obvious, like airing up my tires and whatnot, are there any tricks to get more MPG out of the engine? Advancing/retarding timing, maybe? Eventually I'm probably going to be swapping in a D15B for the sick gas mileage those get, but for right now its just little stuff to help out the stock engine.
driving style (biggest change), low rolling resistance tires, stock spec tires (height/width), remove mudguards roof racks

Go to the gassaver and ecomodder websites there's great info there!

With my current drive im averaging 39mpg with a 99 ej8 with obd1 b18c and some hx wheels
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Master Ninja

There should be a D-Series.org link on here so everyone who wants to know more about there D series motor can go spam over there lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to spam. It's just that every time before when I asked this question, everyone told me to swap or turbo. And then the thread got locked before I could explain that I didn't want to do those things. I realize that I'm not going to be braking any speed records with a d series. I was just trying to get fast answers for gaining any top end power. Sorry if I irritated any of you.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM
The Grumpiest

No boost or swap? Then there is nothing for you to do. Not even a little bit. End of story. You bought the wrong car if you want a powerful ride. This aint the Fast and Furious. Don't know what you expect out of an engine designed by Honda for getting groceries.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No boost or swap? Then there is nothing for you to do. Not even a little bit. End of story. You bought the wrong car if you want a powerful ride. This aint the Fast and Furious. Don't know what you expect out of an engine designed by Honda for getting groceries.
I know I won't get much out of it with bolt ons. But I know I can get some. And all I wanted to know was what I could do, other than what I have done.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Perrdog
I know I won't get much out of it with bolt ons. But I know I can get some. And all I wanted to know was what I could do, other than what I have done.
NEW* from the factory the y7 is rated at 106 hp so something like 90whp. now factor in the age i'll bet the comp is NOT what is was when it left the factory. less comp=less power all in you'll gain maybe 5-8whp(if that) with I,H,E. heck do a mini me if you want any little bit of power will do more than bolt ons.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What mini me would be a good one to do? And I know I can get hp with bolt ons because I got like 7 or 8 with just a header. And another 2 or 3 with a cold air intake. I wanna put a new intake manifold on but I didn't wanna buy the wrong one. So I was asking to see what people thought.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What mini me would be a good one to do? And I know I can get hp with bolt ons because I got like 7 or 8 with just a header. And another 2 or 3 with a cold air intake. I wanna put a new intake manifold on but I didn't wanna buy the wrong one. So I was asking to see what people thought.
just go and get a Y8 head here's the offical write up/diy http://www.civicforumz.com/civic-diy...-d16y8-171470/

No you didn't get 7-8 whp with a header i'd love to see the before and after dyno sheet to see that with out a chipped ecu even. Im not trying to be an *** but seriously this gets asked at leat twice a week and you won't even get that whp on a B-series without a chipped ecu at least
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly dont waste your time with the Y7 motor. Either do a B series swap of any kind, a D16Y8 or a mini me swap. To do a min me swap you need a Vtec head and ECU. I would concentrate on other areas like suspension and brakes if you plant to keep the Y7. If you really want more from that motor get a good full exhaust, a good intake and swap to a Y8 intake mani and have it tuned, you might be able to pick up 20whp over stock but dont get your hopes too high. This topic has been beaten to death, do some reading and searching.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM
The Grumpiest

I know I won't get much out of it with bolt ons. But I know I can get some.
No. You won't.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But but but grumblemarc...it'll LOOK and SOUND like he's got more horsepower, and that's what's really important.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No. You won't.
If I won't, then how come I have?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I won't, then how come I have?
Bring on the before and after dyno sheet then !. as ryd said it will "feel faster" but in actuality no you're still driving a 90-100whp car you don't even have vtec how it feels fast even is byond me
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at this point it doesn't matter what we all say. he is persistent on doing this, so let him waste his money. he doesn't want to go with a mini me, because he doesn't want vtec because its not "easy". he wants to buy "upgrades" that give him the free sticker like a box of cap n' crunch.
the argument is pointless. otherwise he would have taken our advise the first time he asked this. instead he re-posted in hopes someone would chime in with what he wants to hear.

Quick Reply: Upgrades