Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (not 56k friendly)

As many of you guys know (a lot in the Hybrid forum), there's been a **** load of rumors that H22 Civics weigh a ton, and handle like absolute crap, do shitty times....etc.....etc.

Not only did NorthernXposure so far pull a 13.4 on Drag Radials in an Si hatchback, but I decided to take on a HUGE project from transferring EVERYTHING functional wise from this:

1993 EX Coupe

Best time being 14.4 @98 MPH at 4200 elavation feet with my 185/60R14 POS tires on my EX steelies!

I have since then, took on the major project by transferring things from the Coupe over to a 92 VX hatch that I acquired through a good friend of mine, and have made a deal to decide and trade across (plus some things).

Some older pictures of the progress and such which I have posted can be found here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=499860

Now, I have recently weighed the hatch, and took some updated pics as I was able to bump up the quality and such on the camera as well.

Just FYI, don't buy an HP Photosmart 215. The camera is good, but one MAJOR pain in the *** to find a driver for it.

The car is still in progress. I am currently working on getting a damn paint job, GSR dash, and get me better suspension.

I currently have Ground Control coil overs on Tokico Blue shocks. They do the job well, but will satisfy me until I buy me some Tein RA's in the near future.

I also have transferred the EX front brakes, EX front sway bar, all strut bars and the rest of the suspension. It awaits CTR 5 lug in a couple of months as well.

Things I have removed from the car for weight:

Firewall matt
Sound deadening material
Heater core (it's currently Summer, and looking for a black Integra dash) - IM me if you have a good one!
All of the rear interior

I have left the upper ceiling trim and such, installed JDM ITR carpet, added the EX brakes, and front sway, and currently rolling around on EX steelies (weighing at 18 lbs a piece w/o the tire!)

I have also upgraded to a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, installed B&M FPR/gauge, and AEM ITR CAI.

Some pictures:

Sleeper exhaust!

And now what you guys have been waiting for and clearing up a BUNCH load of BS for H22 Civics being heavy!

Keep in mind, I have EX steelies on this thing, and also weighed it with almost a FULL tank of gas.

Here is some pictures:

Ugh! Needs some detailing!

Full tank of gas!

And the moment!

The truck stop it was at:

That does it everyone. Thanks for looking!

Feedback greatly appreciated!

peace.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:51 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (poison)

Great looking VX!, looks like you have things pretty well planned out, 2060 lbs. damn!!!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:52 AM

Not as heavy as I thought. How much more heavier are H22's compared to B18's?
Old 06-10-2003, 01:54 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (diewX3)

Do you know what the approx. weight was of the things you removed in the car? (panels, tar, firewall mat ETC).
Old 06-10-2003, 01:56 AM

Wow, that seems pretty light.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you know what the approx. weight was of the things you removed in the car? (panels, tar, firewall mat ETC).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, forgot to add that I removed the Door Panels, and such as well.

Unfortunately I did not weigh them. As I dont have the proper scale you do. I really commend you for the threads you do on removing such and for weighing them.

Very great How-To's and such.

I know we're not supposed to 'approximate', but the door panels are most likely about 2-3 lbs.

And that dash is heavy as hell for a friggin dash!

I can say I will be taking away parts of the Integra dash once I get one to minimize weight in that category...

A Carbon Fiber hood and FAL rear quarter windows are definitely in line as well!

I gotta weight it with a CF hood, FAL, the CTR 5 lug and an empty tank of gas. Hopefully pull under 2000.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:03 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ahh, forgot to add that I removed the Door Panels, and such as well.

Unfortunately I did not weigh them. As I dont have the proper scale you do. I really commend you for the threads you do on removing such and for weighing them.

Very great How-To's and such.

I know we're not supposed to 'approximate', but the door panels are most likely about 2-3 lbs.

And that dash is heavy as hell for a friggin dash!

I can say I will be taking away parts of the Integra dash once I get one to minimize weight in that category...

A Carbon Fiber hood and FAL rear quarter windows are definitely in line as well!

I gotta weight it with a CF hood, FAL, the CTR 5 lug and an empty tank of gas. Hopefully pull under 2000.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the compliments man. and with those future weight reducing mods, i'm sure you can shave off 60 lbs.!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the compliments man. and with those future weight reducing mods, i'm sure you can shave off 60 lbs.! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep no prob

Plus I've heard that 1 gallon of gas weighs about ~ 8 lbs. So going from almost full to empty would be about 70ish lbs (since it was COMPLETELY full).

But it'll be nice

Old 06-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im not a hater about the weight or anything....but my 93 civic SI was 2080 pounds (on the scale at bandimere speedway in colorado) with 1/4 of a tank of gas, sohc, with all the turbo parts (big fmic and turbo setup...good 40-50 pounds of crap), two seats, full interior expect the rear seat and i removed the a/c. Other missing parts was my exhaust (just ran a dp at the time), and the rear tire and jack. Oh yea also no stereo.

Your car is waayyy more stripped then mine..and is only 10 pounds lighter. And i have a sunroof (which are mad heavy).

h22a = heavy *** motor. Put a heavy *** motor into a super light stripped car and you have something that isnt *that* heavy. Correct me if im wrong, but the h22a with tranny is a good 80 pounds heavier then a b-series, and almost 120 pounds heavier then a d-series.

I bet that thing handles like a beast since 90% of the weight is over the front tires. But i bet its fun in a stright line...can you say torque?

Nice setup tho sleeper

liam

Modified by liam821 at 3:33 AM 6/10/2003
Old 06-10-2003, 02:30 AM
ophdehEEzY

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not a hater about the weight or anything....but my 93 civic SI was 2080 pounds (on the scale at bandimere speedway in colorado) with 1/4 of a tank of gas, sohc, with all the turbo parts (big fmic and turbo setup...good 40-50 pounds of crap), two seats, full interior expect the rear seat and i removed the a/c. Other missing parts was my exhaust (just ran a dp at the time), and the rear tire and jack. Oh yea also no stereo.

Your car is waayyy more stripped then mine..and is only 10 pounds lighter. And i have a sunroof (which are mad heavy).

h22a = heavy *** motor. Put a heavy *** motor into a super light stripped car and you have something that isnt *that* heavy. Correct me if im wrong, but the h22a with tranny is a good 80 pounds heavier then a b-series, and almost 120 pounds heavier then a d-series.

I bet that thing handles like a beast since 90% of the weight is over the front tires. But i best its fun in a stright line...can you say torque?

Nice setup tho sleeper

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

makes sense
Old 06-10-2003, 02:42 AM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (ophdeheezy)

I'm not an SI hater, but EG SI's are overweight cars. The sunroof just add weight on the top of the car raising it's center of gravity(not good) and takes valuble head room away. I beleive they weigh like 100lbs more then the next of the eg hatchbacks.

You would think that Honda would have made the SI the lightest seeing as how it's was supposed to be the fastest in the USDM lineup.

I'm very happy my first civic was a VX, but I am still mad at honda for taking our beloved CRX's away. I bet an EG crx would have looked sweet, not that the Del Sol's weren't cool. There's just something about the sleek and slender look of a CRX that apeals to us all..
Old 06-10-2003, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (92 civic VX B18c)

Your about right...Here is the weights of the 93 hatchbacks (all manual)..

CX: 2094
DX: 2178
SI: 2326
VX: 2094

The SI was a good ~150 pounds heavier then any of the others. The SI had things like cruise control, sunroof, p/s, a/c, rear discs, rear wiper, and im sure im missing other things.

Never the less, i love my sunroof (i live in san diego after all), p/s owns, you can remove the a/c, rear wiper is dumb and almost useless, cruise is nice on long trips, and the rear discs rocks.

And anyways...how cares about 100 pounds when you can just turn the boost up?

liam
Old 06-10-2003, 04:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Poison it looks like you've been busy.

I'm not trying to add any fuel to any "fires" or anything, but the FACT is that the H22A weighs more than the B Series.

Strip both cars the same amount and the H22A still weighs more.

Can you get an H22A hatchback to weigh the same, or even less than some B Series hatches?

Certainly.

Can you get the same exact chassis to weigh less with an H22A than with a B Series?

No.

2060lbs. is most definately light regardless of what anyone says. My Cx weighs 2040lbs. with a B18C5 so you're not too far off with the H22A, but I'd like to compare the actual lists of what has been removed and what is left in the car.

I know that I still have a heater core and both bumper support bars and an airbag steering wheel. I have no doubts that with those removed I could see 2010lbs. or so.

The H22A vs. Bwhatever debate is a tough one. You will always have some people who are just 100% set on either the B or H and no matter what you say/type you won't change their opinions.

I posted a topic about an H22A swap in an Integra Type R a while back as a joke under a different screen name. I even listed a very well-thought suspension set-up to counter the extra weight but there were still a lot of Type R guys ripping me for doing such a thing to a nearly perfectly balanced FF car.

If you'd like that link I can find it fairly easily. You'd be surprised at how much some people value weight distribution and balance in a car, and how little some people care about it.

Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (B18C5-EH2)

Nice job

FWIW: Gas weighs about 6lbs per gallon. I thought that it would be about the same as water too .
Old 06-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your car is GUTTTTTTTED
Old 06-10-2003, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (yayaRl337)

Looking good Brandon. Now i need to come visit so i can clean up that thing for you. Get that engine bay bling bling yo. Anyways, when are you gonna get to run it next??? I wanna see pics at the track and some timeslips yo. You better pull some low 13's dude. Let me know whats happens.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (jDmDxTuRd)

Car looks good man. Do you drive it everyday?

Have you hooked up EGR yet?

Why do you want a CTR 5 lug so bad? also opposed to an ITR 5 lug conversion?

How is the ex brake setup working out for you, im rolling on DX brakes, and when I brake hard you feel all that weight up front real bad.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

If you buy the FAL kit, i'll buy the rear FAL window(hatch glass replacement) from you!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (jg)

Lookin good buddy. Damn I love your car, why am I stuck with red.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (jg)

man you guys are some feather weights.

I'm weighing my car next weekend, and I'm scared to

'92 CX. EX steelies, H22, full a/c/heater etc. Lots of Brown Bread (shipping weight for all of it was under 20lbs though ).

No carpet, no rear paneling. Rear seats, but no jack/spare. Radio, 6.5" component set, and an amp. CF hood...and everything else completely stock.

Any guess on the weight? I'm hoping I don't get there and it's like 2400lbs. haha.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (hot_EH)

Thanks guys.

Yes, of course it's the fact that the H22 is most definitely heavier than any B series and such.

As for handling in the car currently, it handles awesome.

I have not driven w/o a front sway, so I cannot say what it's like with the EX sway up front since I've never owned a car w/o a front sway. But I can say it does handle a **** load better with one.

As for the braking, just the same as my EX coupe, and it brakes very well. No issues whatsoever with "weight" as far as that goes.

Just FYI as well, the front bumper support was LEFT IN. I also didn't remove that. The car did not come with a rear bumper support, and I did not take off the coupe to throw on the hatchback.

As for Windshield wiper arms, wiper motor, ceiling linging, everything else was left in.

As for future building of the car, it's definitely in line for a paint job, body work, and especially engine bay detailing.

I don't intend to built this car 100% drag racing. I will be AutoXing and throwing this car into hopefully a Circuit league where ever I am stationed once I join the Air Force.

As for the question, I am getting CTR 5 lug with the ITR rear LCA's, or US ITR 5 lug because I'm not about to get stuck with JDM ITR 5 lug with the 36 mm hub and have to change the DSS axles being 32 mm

Reason I am going to get that is because the braking of factory brakes is awesome, and also for the rear disc along with the rims. I understand it'll add a little more weight, and I could just go with a fast brakes and such, but this is something I'ved wanted for a while.

YumVTEC (one of my best friends) used to have an EK with a bunch of ITR parts, and his braking just amazed the hell out of me of what the braking is like in a lighter car.

The car will be balanced as much as possible and will handle like no other on the track. I just felt like building a project with the biggest motor in the lightest car "type deal", go somewhere different and hardcore, and see what comes about.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how accurate are those truck scales B-dawg? i thought they were like +/- 100 pounds or so. nice weight though either way.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (Chris y0!)

nice write up, good info
Old 06-10-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (Chris y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how accurate are those truck scales B-dawg? i thought they were like +/- 100 pounds or so. nice weight though either way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, when I weighed it and ran into the Truck Shop front counter, I looked at what the weight was and couldn't believe it. I honestly thought it would be somewhere around 2150 or 2100 lbs, especially having the full tank of gas and all that BS still in the car. Just mainly the whole interior has been stripped out.

They told me it's extremely accurate, weighing trucks that stop by there than most other ones 24/7.

I stood on the line and came out 200 lbs (which is what I currently weigh), so accuracy is close if not on the dot.

Where's the Spoonified y0?

Old 06-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That was a fun night going up to logan, but the next time you deceide that you want to go up there make sure you tell me a little in advance instead of at 2AM and decide to go, LOL..........anyways I think your car is light for having a H22 in no you just gotta do some more weight reduction and try to get under 2K

Quick Reply: Updated Pics of the H22 Gutted VX and ACTUAL weight! (not 56k friendly)