Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Update on my MiniMe

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my MiniMe

Hey guys, how are you all doing?

Well some of you people might remember my last post I made awhile ago regarding me completing my y7/z6 MiniMe.

Since than I have pretty much ironed out all the problems. No more codes, pulls real nice (had to buy a manaul p28, since I got a auto one the first time around ). Also since I'm using a dizzy for a d15b7 for my set up, when I checked my ignition timing with my light it was retarded by a LOT of degrees . I fixed it though however by drilling out the top of the mounting plate, so now I have full adjustability. At 18 degrees now . Big difference.

Recently I also installed a D16y8 intake manifold in the place of my old D15b7 one. Pretty easy swap, only problem I had with this one was that I bought the wrong throttle body gasket which caused a vacuum leak. I than realized what I did after a couple hours of searching and made my own, and she worked great. Remember people, buy the gasket for the throttle body not the manifold . I noticed a nice midrange gain.

For my header I ended up getting a Tsudo 4-2-1 for a pretty cheap price, and I was surprised, it's a very good header. No fitment problems, no leaks, looks nice and I noticed gains throughout the powerband especially since I was running a D15b7 one before.

As for the motor itself, it's running great. It's had a complete tune up in all areas. Everything has been changed. I just recently did a valve adjustment which went real well.

For the tire/wheel combo, I just recently switched over to 175/50HR-13 Sumitomo HTR 200's. Very nice tires. Cheap too, $33 a pop. They shortened my gearing pretty decently, made the car feel a lot more pepier (only thing is my speedometer is off now but thats ok ). They also grip pretty good too.

Also one last thing guys. The only problem I have with my setup is this. Sometimes when I stay in VTEC for long periods of time, mostly in 4th. I will get a code 22, oil pressure sensor. Now why is that? I checked my oil levels, perfect with Castrol Syntec 5w30. Checked my grounds but I don't think thats it b/c it would go in and out all the time right? Now my oil pressure sensor is by passed (since I couldn't get it to work through the oil pressure sensor when I originally did the swap), I just ran pin d6 to a ground which works great, VTEC always engages, it's just when I stay in it in 4th, so I don't think its the wiring? I also cleaned my soilenoid. What could be causing this? It's quite anoying.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my results with this motor and looking to put in a aftermarket camshaft next.

Also anyone looking into doing a minime, as always look into BauleyCivic's minime post, you will find it real usefull.

Heres some pics of my setup:

Setup:

Motor: (Y7/Z6 mini me)
*D16y7 block*
*D16z6 head*
*D16z6 ecu*
*D16y8 intake manifold*
*D16y8 head gasket*
*D16z6 timing belt*
*D16y7 Tranny*
*D15b7 dizzy*

Old 06-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Update on my MiniMe (Xion)

nice work that hatch is fawking clean
Old 06-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice hatch,but that wheels/tires are a little too small.

It kinda looks ''off''.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also one last thing guys. The only problem I have with my setup is this. Sometimes when I stay in VTEC for long periods of time, mostly in 4th. I will get a code 22, oil pressure sensor. Now why is that? I checked my oil levels, perfect with Castrol Syntec 5w30. Checked my grounds but I don't think thats it b/c it would go in and out all the time right? Now my oil pressure sensor is by passed (since I couldn't get it to work through the oil pressure sensor when I originally did the swap), I just ran pin d6 to a ground which works great, VTEC always engages, it's just when I stay in it in 4th, so I don't think its the wiring? I also cleaned my soilenoid. What could be causing this? It's quite anoying.

[/QUOTE]

what is this problem? friend my have this problem too
Old 06-06-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice hatch,but that wheels/tires are a little too small.

It kinda looks ''off''.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah at first it does kinda look odd, BUT I did not do this for looks. When your actually driving the car it feels great with those wheels. They are extremely light and also act as a shorter final drive.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xion)

Nice car, Keep it clean
Old 06-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice . might want to change that tranny though. Y8 tranny
Old 06-06-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Update on my MiniMe (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jL iLLuZiOnz 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice . might want to change that tranny though. Y8 tranny </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I would love to get a Si tranny, but it's pretty hard to find one around here in good shape. But these wheels/tires make the Y7 tranny feel a lot shorter though, so I'm cool for now.

For now.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:19 AM

Anyone have any ideas on my 4th gear code 22 problems?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:32 AM

I got the same problem with my ZC/Z6 mini me and I dont know why it does it either, only in 4th and after vtec. I was thinking it may be that gasket maker got to the oil hole when assembling the cam caps but im not really sure. When I had the Z6 block it ran perfectly and never got that code so its not the wiring.

What did you do with the cam timing? What pulley did you use? Im building a y7/z6 mini-me for a friend and i want to know ehre to set the cam gear at.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (jetpilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetpilot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got the same problem with my ZC/Z6 mini me and I dont know why it does it either, only in 4th and after vtec. I was thinking it may be that gasket maker got to the oil hole when assembling the cam caps but im not really sure. When I had the Z6 block it ran perfectly and never got that code so its not the wiring.

What did you do with the cam timing? What pulley did you use? Im building a y7/z6 mini-me for a friend and i want to know ehre to set the cam gear at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I hear ya man, it's quite annoying trying to figure out what is going on with that code.

As for the cam timing. I'm just using a stock z6 cam pulley and just running it at stock timing. Nothing special, and it runs good.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:42 AM

that hatch looks amazing
Old 06-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (pReStOcHaNgO)

Lookin great man...a few things:

1) Suprised that you got the B7 dizzy to fit. Guess drilling the holes out does the trick

2) How are those tiny *** tires for daily driving? When i'm at the track I scrape over any sort of bump...

3) Get rid of that Y7 tranny, especially if it is one from a hatch. It is killing the potential of the motor.

4) About that code...was there an oil jet in the block to pull? Before I pulled my oil jet I would get those codes occasionally...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

4) About that code...was there an oil jet in the block to pull? Before I pulled my oil jet I would get those codes occasionally...</TD></TR></TABLE>

in y7 that hole is open fine right?
Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (ARAXIS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ARAXIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
in y7 that hole is open fine right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if there is an oil jet in the Y7 or not...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Trial User

Dang, that ride is sick homie. Just need to slam it with some bigger rims. Keep it clean though. Nice mota.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:18 PM

sweet *** car getting ready to do the z6 head swap on my y7. Guy is selling it to me for like $25
Old 06-07-2004, 11:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lookin great man...a few things:

1) Suprised that you got the B7 dizzy to fit. Guess drilling the holes out does the trick

2) How are those tiny *** tires for daily driving? When i'm at the track I scrape over any sort of bump...

3) Get rid of that Y7 tranny, especially if it is one from a hatch. It is killing the potential of the motor.

4) About that code...was there an oil jet in the block to pull? Before I pulled my oil jet I would get those codes occasionally...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tires are fine for me, I barely scrape, but than again I'm not slammed like some of you.

I'm kinda tapped out for money right now, trust me I would love to pick up a Si tranny.

Also the D16Y7's come with the oil jet in the head (all the D's with the spark plugs in the front of the head has an oil jet in the head instead of the block), so no there isn't one left in the block. Like I said it engages just fine in every gear, just sometimes in 4th this happens.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Really wish I could figure this damn code out though.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
foz

I'm putting all the parts togethor to do the same to my Y7 ...

Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a thought!! I HEAR that 96+ d-motor oil pumps are CRAP and flow really low numbers. I've seen figures, and the 96+ flows like 1/2 the oil that the Z6 pump flows. Perhaps this is your problem?? No one has been able to verify if a Z6 oil pump can be used in a 96+ casting. Who wants to be a guiena pig?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is a thought!! I HEAR that 96+ d-motor oil pumps are CRAP and flow really low numbers. I've seen figures, and the 96+ flows like 1/2 the oil that the Z6 pump flows. Perhaps this is your problem?? No one has been able to verify if a Z6 oil pump can be used in a 96+ casting. Who wants to be a guiena pig? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I never heard about this. But if that was the issue than people would be having problems with their stock D16Y8's in VTEC in 4th gear than right? hmm.

Also today on the way home from work. I was moving pretty good along the highway and decided to do a little 4th gear pull just to see. I got it up to about 6000RPM and no check engine light, wtf (and yes you could hear VTEC working)? Seems to be only sometimes.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:30 AM

So anyone got any ideas?

The other day I removed my oil pressure sensor housing to clean it. The mesh filter inside was dirty, so I cleaned that and put her back on.

Haven't had a code since but than again I haven't had a chance to really push it. Although on the way home yesterday from work me and my buddy in his gs integra had a couple pulls on the highway. But I would always shift early out of 4th only go to about 6K or so. So maybe that did the trick?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:08 AM

how about hooking up the vtec oil pressure switch?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about hooking up the vtec oil pressure switch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

But would that really make a difference, b/c when you bypass it, doesn't that give you the same results?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that cat looks hella big

Quick Reply: Update on my MiniMe