Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

unusual engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unusual engine swap

I have a '06 yamaha rhino that i have blown up too many times. Its more than about time for a motor swap. The most common swaps are for street bike engines but im not interested in that. I want to drop in an civic motor. I could really use some help picking which motor to use. Need to have an automatic for my application.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: unusual engine swap

I suppose it depends on how your drive trane is set up. If its like a regulare 4 wheeler/ATV where the transmission sticks out where the front shaft goes to the front and the rear goes do the rear you may be able to sit the civic motor Inline i would use a D series because it would be cheaper and a combo of a D16y7 or y8 (v-tec) would be cheap unless you wanted to go with a DOHC B16 or B18 but that would be probably much more than the value of the Side by side your trying to drop it in. my thought is since the civic is FWD the engine sits transvers but it would be perfect becuase the set up is similar to an ATV transmission ones that are shaft driven that is. The only problem would be you would have to modify the shafts to fit your front and rear differential and you would have a center differencial so th 4wd woulnt work as well unless you put a limited slip differencial. The only possible problem i can see is the fact that torqe of a car motor is much more than the stock motor so it may tear up the differencials. I would suggest going with a Honda CBR motor maybe 1000 CC that would be much easyer to fit to your existing transmission.. or even a yamaha motor from a bike
Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
New User

So far we are definatly on the same page, exactly. My plan is to set the motor in line with the rhino and run my drivelines to the honda outputwith a limited slip or spool(or welded). The DOHC 16b would be cool and thats what i've heard would be the way to go, did it come with an auto or would that have to be changed as well. As far as the torque breaking axles thats going to happen with any motor swap (Maybe worse with the honda) but it would be a cool powerplant with endless options in the future. Another question i have is the overall measurements for the engine/trans, i've crawled all over some friends cars (and endured some very funny looks at the junk yard) trying to get some mearsurements but i want to be sure
Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B20.

They're cheap and torquey, and hop up easily. You can run awd in them with no transfer case, and awd automatic transaxles are relatively easy to find.

There's a guy out there building and selling custom tube-frame rock crawlers using the B20 engine. It's a very decent platform for an ultrasmall offroader.