Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ultimate brake setup for Civics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate brake setup for Civics?

What is the best setup for street? car is a 95 ej1 with brembo blanks, hawk street pads, SS lines and super blue brake fluid. and stock drums I have been thru Falken Azenis, and a few different types of sticky BFG street tires and no matter what stopping 350whp is not easy. the brakes just get hot and I have to pump like mad to stop fast enough.

I also have a Nissan S14 with 12.8" 350z track rotors, and 300zx 4 pot front calipers, 2 pot rears with 11" rotors, SS lines, bigger master cylinder and the car stops on a dime, so I know what good braking power feel like. Myt civic just doesnt stop.

I had the same kind of setup on my last turbo civic except I also had GSR rear brakes (but this one has drums) and it was the same thing. so clearly stock calipers and rotors are just not enough for stopping a full weight turbo car. please tell me what will actually give me better braking performance, Do I go up to wilwoods, or some other BBK?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ultimate brake setup for Civics?

There are many options, it really depends how deep your pockets can get. I think you already know the high side of things. A Big break kit is the "ultimate" setup. However, they aren't cost effective or practical if you have a street car.

There is lots of info in the FAQ's about break upgrades, but I will lay out my bit.

As you can see from my Sig I am prepping for some decent power as well. This is my brake setup. I built it with performance and cost in mind. This setup should be more than enough for the street and occasional track.

GSR brake conversion Front & Rear
Brembo blanks
Hawk HPS
Goodridge SS lines
JDM ITR 1" bore Master cylinder & Booster

The setup is inexpensive and will put my hatch on a dime. Though the list is relatively common, some will argue against the Master cylinder and booster but there is good reasoning behind it.

Regardless of what caliper upgrade you go with, it will require a MC upgrade. This is not necessarily true for those who just do a rear disc swap. Many have found when doing a front and rear upgrade, that without it, the pedal travel is lower and sub-par. Furthermore, the MC is required for the increased demand you are giving it. All drum brake rear Eg's came with a 13/16" MC. Some would recommend simply upgrading to a 15/16 by using a 91 Ex Sedan MC. It bolts up with no issues. I however found the stock booster to also be lacking. The much larger Integra booster increases pedal feel, making the brakes feel much more solid. As such, you must upgrade to a 94-01 Integra to get a 1" bore MC and the larger booster. All ABS 94-01 Integras have this. You must bend and modify the brake lines for them to line up, but it will bolt right to the firewall with no issues. I only chose a JDM ITR because the JDM has ports on the opposite side, which makes it much easier to bolt up, with less line modification, and I got a great deal on it.

Another upgrade is the proportioning valve. If you are going from a drum to a disc car, you will need to upgrade the Prop valve to a 40/40. This changes the hydraulic pressure bias on your brakes. Drum brakes require much more pressure than calipers to operate. If you use your 30/40 then there will be issues under heavy breaking. The rear will want to lock up more,....not good. Any 94-01 Integra RS 40/40 valve will bolt right up with no modification.

Enjoy.

-XLR8

Last edited by iliv2xlr8; 01-21-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

iliv2xlr8

As I said before this is not my first turbo civic. the last one had all that I have now, plus ITR Brake booster and MC and a GSR prop valve. all bought brand new from the dealer and the car did not stop well. all the FAQs on here say all you need are good tires, good pads and good fluid and your set. I had all that plus more and I can safely say its not true. at least not for Fullweight EX civics with another 100lbs of turbo stuff.

Maybe these things apply to all motor hatches that weigh under 2300 with driver, but not on piggy coupes. I have never felt a civic with a BBK and I am sure thats what I need to do, I just dont know which one to get.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boostage
iliv2xlr8

As I said before this is not my first turbo civic. the last one had all that I have now, plus ITR Brake booster and MC and a GSR prop valve. all bought brand new from the dealer and the car did not stop well. all the FAQs on here say all you need are good tires, good pads and good fluid and your set. I had all that plus more and I can safely say its not true. at least not for Fullweight EX civics with another 100lbs of turbo stuff.

Maybe these things apply to all motor hatches that weigh under 2300 with driver, but not on piggy coupes. I have never felt a civic with a BBK and I am sure thats what I need to do, I just dont know which one to get.
You can always go with ITR 5 lug setup, i'm sure its going to do you good.

I'd also recommend the Acura legend front brake setup with the RSX rear rotor/calipers.

A third choice could be aftermarket front brake setup with the RSX rear rotor/caliper setup.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I definitely couldn't recommend a particular "Big" brake kit. I have never used one.

Another option is to use 94-97 ITR rotors and calipers. There is a good thread about upgrading the rotor size. The calipers are essentially GSR, but the enlarged bracket and hub allows for a 282mm rotor.

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2953

Good luck
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bmoua
You can always go with ITR 5 lug setup, i'm sure its going to do you good.

I'd also recommend the Acura legend front brake setup with the RSX rear rotor/calipers.

A third choice could be aftermarket front brake setup with the RSX rear rotor/caliper setup.
I dont see a kit for any of this on fastbrakes.com