Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uh oh....Winshield cracked...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh....Winshield cracked...

Well, I bought my car with a couple of small tiny cracks in it a little smaller than a pea. A couple days ago I was driving on the 605 freeway. (For all you non SoCal people, the 605 freeway is what you call a rock mind) Anyhow, driving my usual route to mi escuela, minding my own business at 70mph, I see something fairly large bouncing off the freeway, up and down, up and down...Knowing my luck, cars left and right, so I can't dodge it in time, and CRACK! A rock the size of Texas cracks my winshield. It's a large crack at a diameter of about 8-10 inches.

My question is, how much is the avg. price to replace one? Or does anyone have a hook up in the SoCal area that I might be able to go to? I can't afford more than $100 so I'm trying to find something around the $80 range...Anyone know where the best place to look for a winshield is?

-Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (J-MiGiRL702)

So let me get this straight. You have a "spiderweb" in your windshield with a diameter of 8-10 inches and you want to fix it with $80!?!?!

A.) Glass is pretty hard to repair, and expensive when it's do-able.

B.) $80 won't do **** to damage that severe.

C.) save some money and get the entire windshield completely replaced.

Every little crack is a HUGE crack waiting to happen, and on the 605 (yeah, it is a rock mine), you don't wanna risk that.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (Archidictus)

your best bet is to go to a junkyard.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (prendi)

crazy, i always drive on that fwy too
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 PM
New User

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (frosteg6)

when i ******* hit a bird on the highway and it just demolished my windshield,..it cost me 140 installed brand new,...im a DIY guy but i wouldnt attempt to do my own windshield because i didnt want leaking problems in the future (but i did my own sunroof so go figure),..and hitting a bird at 3 in the morning is not cool,...i couldnt go over 45 mph because if i did you could hear my windshield start to crack and want to collapse,..and i was an hour away from home
Old 04-30-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (frosteg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So let me get this straight. You have a "spiderweb" in your windshield with a diameter of 8-10 inches and you want to fix it with $80!?!?!
A.) Glass is pretty hard to repair, and expensive when it's do-able.

B.) $80 won't do **** to damage that severe.

C.) save some money and get the entire windshield completely replaced.

Every little crack is a HUGE crack waiting to happen, and on the 605 (yeah, it is a rock mine), you don't wanna risk that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow..Why don't you try reading first. It helps alot. I think I know the difference between a "spiderweb" and a rock crack. I never said anything about it being a "spiderweb". So to reply to your remarks:

A.) I never mentioned anything about repairing it. You can clearly see I said, "REPLACE" in the second paragragh.

B.) I don't know how you Ohio's are, but here in Southern California, $80-$100 is an okay price for replacing a winshield, not "fixing" it.

C.) That's why I posted this. It's to replace, not to repair.

D.) READ the posts first, and then reply.

All the other members, thank you for the help. I will take everyone's suggestions into careful consideration.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:51 PM
New User

[QUOTE=J-MiGiRL702]

B.) I don't know how you Ohio's are, but here in Southern California, $80-$100 is an okay price for replacing a winshield, not "fixing" it.

[QUOTE]

140.00 was the cheapest i found when i had to replace my windshield,..i guess compared to socal i was getting it up the butt but here in ohio,..140 is cheap compared to 200-250 i was getting quoted from other shops
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-MiGiRL702 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow..Why don't you try reading first. It helps alot. I think I know the difference between a "spiderweb" and a rock crack. I never said anything about it being a "spiderweb". So to reply to your remarks:

A.) I never mentioned anything about repairing it. You can clearly see I said, "REPLACE" in the second paragragh.

C.) That's why I posted this. It's to replace, not to repair.

D.) READ the posts first, and then reply.

All the other members, thank you for the help. I will take everyone's suggestions into careful consideration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You ready for this?

A.) as my fellow Ohioan mentioned above, it's nearly impossible here to get a windshield replaced for less than $150...great for you if you can get it done cheaper.

B.) Read above

C.) Great, you said that twice now

D.) Done and done, my friend

E.) When you speak of "cracks" you don't use words like "diameter" you illiterate ****. Diameter is a word used to asses various aspects of a circle, hence my thinking you meant a spiderweb. If you dropped a more coherent sentence or two, we would've known exactly what you meant.

F.) **** you for getting in my face. I said nothing offensive to you, nor did I say anything in my post that even resembled hostility toward you and your situation. I was trying to be helpful, sorry if I wasn't.

By the way, if you already knew so much about the solution to your problem, why did you make a post asking our advice? Attention?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (WiDeBoDyEK)

I dont know about cali, but down here in La if you have full coverage the insurance covers it or at least most of it.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (GAMEOVER 1.8)

Junkyard has alot of them, and most are good

Old 05-01-2003, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (Quad-Damge)

Archidictus, stop being a stupid little immature smart *** and don't say anything if you have nothing good to say. You're wrong about all the things you've said and now you don't have any way to retaliate except for the fact to flame me. I asked for help and suggestions, but if you don't have something good or useful to say, then don't say it.

People on Honda-Tech don't have time for nonsense such as this. Go back to Superhonda and do you **** there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BLA

I think junk yards would be the best place to look into. I'm sort of aiming for a new winshield so I don't get stuck with one that's horrible with scars on them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:05 AM

I dont know how it is in californina. but in florida your insurance will cover it and your rates cannot go up they give you a max of 2 windsheilds a year.

A friend bought a civic with a cracked windsheild and when he got insurance they wrote it at the inspection. but when he went to fix it it was over 200 for new glass and installation
Old 05-01-2003, 08:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prendi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your best bet is to go to a junkyard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Still gonna pay like $200.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (Tony Starks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony Starks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Still gonna pay like $200.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol what kind of junkyards are you going to?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prendi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol what kind of junkyards are you going to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ones in New Jersey and eastern PA. Anything with "import" attached to it got tripled in price in the past two years.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:03 AM

i might have 1 for sale. i live in o.c.
email me @ aaron@drunknbass.com
Old 05-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-MiGiRL702 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Archidictus, stop being a stupid little immature smart *** and don't say anything if you have nothing good to say. You're wrong about all the things you've said and now you don't have any way to retaliate except for the fact to flame me. I asked for help and suggestions, but if you don't have something good or useful to say, then don't say it.

People on Honda-Tech don't have time for nonsense such as this. Go back to Superhonda and do you **** there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay. I can't even begin to understand the way your mind functions, but I'm going to throw this out there one more time in the hopes that it gets through the tangle of adrenaline and testosterone that keeps you from understanding my posts.

I didn't say anything in my first post that was "immature" or "smart ***". Your misuse of the English language forced me to assume that you had some kind of damage of the windshield involving a circular mark, hence your use of the word diameter. That's why I assumed that you meant "spiderweb". I think I cleared all of this up in my previous post, but you were too busy lashing out to actually understand that.

You asked

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is, how much is the avg. price to replace one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to which I answered "glass is very expensive to repair, $80 won't fix it, save up for a new windshield". Thus far, I have no idea how I insulted you on a level that necessitated such a violent reaction. I went on to say that I'm familiar with the highway you were on and that you were right in trying to get it fixed sooner rather than later because the highway is in a horrible state of disrepair and, according to you, you have other small cracks in your windshield.

Your second post made it seem like you were an employee at a glass shop. All of a sudden you knew the going prices for windshields and, again according to the English you were using, apparently you knew at least one place that charged those prices to do the work. If you knew so much in the first place, why ask?

My second response was, at first, appologetic. Sorry that Ohio gets the shaft as far as car parts go...I'm glad that you can get a new windshield for $80 in southern California. I then told you to get out of my face since all I did was offer my advice, with absolutely no flaming or insulting of you or your situation.

You go on, in your next post, to call me "immature" and a "smart ***" and that I'm "wrong about all the things I've said". Well, my friend, not only am I correct about every single thing I've said, but I'll bet you can't find a single windshield for $80, much less installed for that price. If you can, that's fantastic and I'm happy for you.

If you can go back and show me where I was "immature" or "a smart ***" I'll say I'm sorry, but until then, you can shut the **** up and stop being so hostile in my direction.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, you should come to wa
Old 05-01-2003, 09:10 PM

I got it....$100 brand new, installed...I'm happy now.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In your face Archidictus!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know a place in Westminster that will replace the windshield for $120. If you pay cash, its $120 out the door
Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 PM

my insurance paid $370...gotta love the zero deductible
Old 05-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (Al Bundy)

Damn, you guys have it cheap. Around here they want to charge 300 or so, maybe Im going to the wrong places? I'm keeping my cracked windshield until it collapses, too many other things to spend money on that are more fun.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the juck yards at irwindale speedway off the 605 sells the glass installed for 90 bucks
Old 05-12-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Uh oh....Winshield cracked... (riceball777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the juck yards at irwindale speedway off the 605 sells the glass installed for 90 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, those are the ones. JDM junkyards left and right... If anyone needs one in So.Cal, they give good prices...

626-350-8945 It's YLM Yunkyard. They have a "glass shop" there also.

Quick Reply: Uh oh....Winshield cracked...