Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (Axle, brake rotors/pads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (Axle, brake rotors/pads)

Up until now, the only other project Ive undertaken by myself besides bolt ons was to install my nitrous kit. Starting Wednesday, I'm going to be swapping out my passenger side axle on my 92 hatch and installing new brake rotors and brake pads.. the only problem is Ive never done anything like this before, dont have the best tools in the world and none of my friends know **** about cars.

I got a brand new cardone axle from autozone for $70 (after I give back the core) and I ordered some Axxis brake pads. I was planning on picking up some replacement rotors from autozone tomorrow when I pick up the axle. Ok here are my questions before I start.

1.) Ive read in the past that people recommend getting just plain blank autozone rotors if ur just straightline racing because you dont need to disapate heat like you do in auto cross so slotted or drilled arent really needed. Is that the general consensus and does it matter which brand of rotors I get? Their choices are AIMCO, AIMCO-Extreme, Valuecraft, and Beck/Arnley if that means anything to anyone here.

2.) Im using B18C5-EH2's axle swap tutorial and a Helms Manual as my only two guides to do this swap. Part of the process is to take off the brake rotors and since mine are in terrible shape, I figured I would replace them. Is there anything I should know about breaking them in since they're new? Do I need to do anything with the fluids?

3.) How long do u wager this will take and is there anything that could go wrong that could keep my car undriveable for a while? Im not gonna be using a lift or air tools.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (Rust)

The brakes are pretty simple. Its literally taking out a few bolts. Just a note for the rotor... I think most/all honda's came with these screws that "hold" the rotor in place when the wheel is off. My personal experience is that these screws are a real PITA to get out... in fact, I am still putting off changing my rotors cause of them. From what I have collected, the best methods to remove them are using an impact wrench and dousing the thing with some penetrating oil (i.e. liquid wrench, etc.). I beleive if they still don't come out, you can drill them out (but be careful).

As far as fluids, I'm not sure if replacing the axle requires removing the caliper completely, but as a rule of thumb, as long as you don't remove any brake lines, you don't have to mess with brake fluid. If you ever disconnect a line, then you have to bleed out the system... which still might not be a bad idea since you are going to be dirty anyways (althought bleeding is a pretty painless process).

Well, if you have any more questions, please be sure to ask. I'm sure you will do fine
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (rocket3004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocket3004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My personal experience is that these screws are a real PITA to get out... in fact, I am still putting off changing my rotors cause of them. From what I have collected, the best methods to remove them are using an impact wrench and dousing the thing with some penetrating oil (i.e. liquid wrench, etc.). I beleive if they still don't come out, you can drill them out (but be careful).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont use air tools to take them 2 screws out. youll strip them

go invest in an impact driver.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (=GAMEOVA=)

ooops yea, thats what i meant, and impact driver... I'm sorry

It is like a screw driver with a large spring in the handle. You place the tip on the screw like a normal screw driver, and mash the other side with a hammer. The force is translated into turning the tip and breaking the screw free...
Old 03-08-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Uh Oh.. My First DIY Project (rocket3004)

if this is your first DIY i don't think it's advisable to do brakes..maybe ask a few more experienced friends. But it's pretty easy by the way. don't forget to lower the level of your brake fluid using a siphone tube or it will spill.