Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uh Oh I broke something...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh I broke something...

Driving my car tonight on my way to my gf's house and all of a sudden theres a loud bang followed by jerking motion. Get the car off the road into a parking lot. Turn car off and turn back on, runs fine. So I know the motor didn't blow up.

Put car in gear and try to drive, will not go anywhere. Put car in nuetral, take foot off clutch and car dies. Towed the car to my gf's house, while pushing it into her garage we noticed that the car is jerky and kinda hops when the tires are being rotated.

WTF did I break?

I'm thinking either an Axle, clutch or transmission...

The last couple days the car has not wanted to go into gear at times. It does this until you turn the car off, let it sit for a couple hours then it shifts normally. Kinda wierd and might not even be related to issue but just throwing that out there

By the way the trans is from a 97 Accord EX....all help is appriciated
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like tranny bro! have u checked ur fluid ?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The transmission is shot. First of all you should have checked the fluid when it started to not shift. I can almost guaranty that it is low and now that it ran low for so long the 1st gear synchro is welded it self to this washer that holds the main shaft to the case. if you feel confident at all about taking it apart and posting pics I could show you what you need to get so you dont have to get a new trans but if you dont have a decent mech skills and tools then dont attempt. check the fluid now and you can try to fill it up but I am sure it is too late.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats got to be the tranny. i would've hought the axle broke because of the wheel hopbut if you had previous prolblems i can almost guarantee that tranny is out. sounds like a hell of a project to take it apart and try to repair but with homeboy offering the support try it! gl man
Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an extra transmission so putting a new one in wont be a big issue to me. The wierd part is the transmission will shift into gears when the car is parked. I can go outside right now and shift gears in it...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsrhatch2356
The transmission is shot. First of all you should have checked the fluid when it started to not shift. I can almost guaranty that it is low and now that it ran low for so long the 1st gear synchro is welded it self to this washer that holds the main shaft to the case. if you feel confident at all about taking it apart and posting pics I could show you what you need to get so you dont have to get a new trans but if you dont have a decent mech skills and tools then dont attempt. check the fluid now and you can try to fill it up but I am sure it is too late.

You read my mind bro, exactly right. first sign of low tranny oil is when it gets hard to go into gear. then it grinds then it blows. lol it probbly got so hot with no fluid to cool it or lubicate the syncs.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here i found this for you
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ssion+teardown
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only gear that grinded in the trans was 5th. You can go get in the car right now and it will shift from first to second with no problems. I haven't tried any of the other gears. I will check tomorrow to see if they will still go into gear. Praying for CV axles, preparing for transmission replacement...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pressure plate **** the bucket
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing I forgot to mention was the car had a high idle and would pull its self even without your foot on the gas. Now when you put it in neutral and take foot off clutch it dies.

Also when pushing the car into the garage it was jerking and made all kinds of not so good sounds from the passenger side. Either way i'll find out this week for sure. I have lifetime warranties on 90-93 axles so those will be getting replaced since thats the axles used for this swap.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
quicchatch253

if it was your axles you could still start up the car and it wont die on you just a bitch to turn
Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh Oh I broke something...

I don't have experience with Honda manual transmissions, but I had an old Camry with a stick (the Econobeater I) that leaked clutch fluid and needed topped off every week or so... shifts became hard and it'd grind. I'd stop and add a little, and bleed the air off (ice scraper helps to hold the clutch pedal when this is a DIY). All done, and back on the road again.