Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ughhhhh my car is cursed, brake light look!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ughhhhh my car is cursed, brake light look!!

I've been having an electrical nightmare. It all started about 1 month ago, one electrical malfunction after another. This is the 4th and latest in a string of electrical malfunctions. Here's the story.............

My brake lights do not work. I have no idea when this initially occured, could have been up to a whole year ago for all I know. My friend just noticed it today and told me about it. It freaked me out knowing that I've been driving around all this time with no brake lights.

So we checked all the dash fuses and underhood fuses including the "horn/stop" fuse under the hood. All the fuses pertaining to lights throughout the vehicle are OK. Next came checking every single light on the car (headlights, front parking lights, rear parking lights, turn signal light, reverse light, emergency flasher light, dome light....... you name it, it was checked and all were lit up and functioned normally. Only the damn stupid brake lights don't light up when the brake pedal is depressed.

I don't want to drive the car anymore until this gets fixed. I'm totally stumped and maaaaaaaad right now.

What should I do now to diagnose what is causing this?

Old 08-23-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Ughhhhh my car is cursed, brake light look!! (Draggin99Si)

hmm.. maybe your break light switch( I think thats what its called, its a little switch thats underneath the pedal" is out. mine went out a while back but it did the opposite of yours... my break lights would NOT turn off... so each time I got in my car I had to get jump started..
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i can think of is checking the bulbs and the wires connecting to it, might be loose or something
Honda-Tech Member

well since you checked everything I would have, the next step is to check the brake light switch in the brake peddle , if you have not done so, if maybe stuck or no longer working, if thats good then check the brake wires from lights all the way to the harness, you may have a fraide wire, hope i helped
Old 08-23-2004, 06:59 PM
foz

Default Re: Ughhhhh my car is cursed, brake light look!! (95sihb)

on your brake switch, located at/near the brake pedal, there are two wires (possibly more depending on if it has cruise control automatic etc..) one will be constant 12v, and the other will show 12v when the brake pedal is pushed, test this with a multimeter and if it doesn't work with the pedal try the actual switch etc.. if all this is good then use the same meter on the actual bulbs with a friend (or brick) on the brake pedal