Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Type R LSD noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R LSD noise

Hi,

I just finished installing an Integra Type R LSD in a 1999 B16 SI tranny. I replaced both ball bearings with new ones from the dealer, and the spacing worked out correct with the original shim. The two diffs worked out to be the same height.
I also just finished the complete SI b16 swap into my 99 DX hatch.

When making tight, slow speed corners (in the underground parking garage) I can hear a low pitch noise, almost a small shudder, but it is very faint, no hopping or anything drastic. And it only happens when light throttle is applied, and only seems to occur warm.
To see if I could reproduce the sound I tried some slow speed complete circles in a parking lot, but did not notice the noise.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this with the helical LSD, the driveshafts seemed to be in good shape, and I just installed SI uprights with wheel bearings in good condition (no play). The car is low (H and R race on koni yellows in highest position), however this does not appear to be a rubbing tire condition.

Also, I am running Motul complete synthetic gear oil, Gear 300 . Has anyone noticed this with this gear oil?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
Old 11-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (Awojtecz)

that noise would be your LSD properly functioning... you can only hear them in the garage because of the surroundings. its normal
Old 11-20-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (Awojtecz)

USE good LSD fluid make sure it is filled to the TOp. Remove the speed sensor fill it up to where you can stick your finger and feel the fluid. that should get rid of the noise and it does shake alittle and shudder when u hit turns. good luck
Old 11-20-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (jdmLove4me)

JDMlove4me, I followed the GSR manual for fluid levels, does the ITR manual recommend running more oil through the speed sensor port? As the tranny would only take the recommended 2.2l through the fill port.

Slambedcivic are you running a helical LSD? Anyone else with helical LSD's notice this?

Thanks for the help guys,

Andrew
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (jdmLove4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmLove4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">USE good LSD fluid make sure it is filled to the TOp. Remove the speed sensor fill it up to where you can stick your finger and feel the fluid. that should get rid of the noise and it does shake alittle and shudder when u hit turns. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm... ive never ever seen anyone fill it to the top of the VSS hole.... thats WAY too much fluid in there isnt it? youre supposed to fill it from the FILL hole on the side of the tranny on the passenger side right behind the axle until is spills out.

Awojtecz, no im not running LSD in my car. ive drive plenty of cars with LSD tho. the noises you are describing are normal in the conditions youre driving in.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (slambedcivic)

any good pennzoil or GM synchromesh oil will cure your LSD'S "CHATTER"
Old 11-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (hondapimp69)

I had the same problem with mine at first, have it flushed and run some Syncromesh in it. BTW hondapimp69 u look like Dr. Evil in you avatar
Old 11-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (S(J)O(D)L(M))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S(J)O(D)L(M) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem with mine at first, have it flushed and run some Syncromesh in it. BTW hondapimp69 u look like Dr. Evil in you avatar </TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao thanks thats a new one, another person said it looked like i have a piston as an earing that im showing off haha
Old 11-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R LSD noise (hondapimp69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lmao thanks thats a new one, another person said it looked like i have a piston as an earing that im showing off haha</TD></TR></TABLE>
ROFL...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Type R LSD noise (S(J)O(D)L(M))

R LSD's don't chatter because they don't have clutches. They don't use special LSD additives either for the same reason. Any idiot who overfills his tranny deserves the blown seals that are likely to happen. You either blow a seal or foam the oil so, the tranny wears pre-maturely.

Do what the manual says and be happy. I never noticed a noise from my R LSD but, there are gears in there that a normal Diff doesn't have so I imagine there's some additional noise.