Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Type R Bad oil leak coming from driver side

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R Bad oil leak coming from driver side

I just recently got this Civic and it has a Type R motor in there. Pulls real nice and fast but it has oil leaks. It is leaking from the Driver side area. Around the timing belt where the head and the block mates together. Looks like its dripping down from the cam gear seals but it builds up fast. Now theres like a little puddle of oil on the empty space. I cleaned it and go for a test run and it will all be back again. I was thinking maybe its a bad head gasket and cam gear seals? It also runs rich when you hit Vtec and you can smell burning gas in the interior. Do you guys have any suggestions. Please don't tell me head gasket because I'm too busy to have time to fix anything right now. lol

Heres a picture of it.

Last edited by Import_spoon; 11-11-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Type R Bad oil leak coming from driver side

you should be able to tell if its running down from the cams or if it is just pooling from the block. does the head get oil on it or just the block? as for running rich you should get it tuned. they can smooth out the AFR at vtec engagement.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
you should be able to tell if its running down from the cams or if it is just pooling from the block. does the head get oil on it or just the block? as for running rich you should get it tuned. they can smooth out the AFR at vtec engagement.
There is little coming from the Cams but it pools around the block way too fast. I wouldn't think the cams would build a pool that fast. The front of the head doesn't have any oil leaking from it nor does the back. Just the timing belt side has oil on the head. The car has AEM fuel rail, Blox FPR and RC 450 cc injectors. Do you think that will make it run rich? I'm pretty sure it also needs a tune also.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

having aftermarket fuel components on a stock ecu without a tune will for sure cause it to run rich, especially with those injectors. i am trying to pick my brain but i dont think there are oil ports on that side on the block except for the front and back corners
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

having aftermarket fuel components on a stock ecu without a tune will for sure cause it to run rich, especially with those injectors. i am trying to pick my brain but i dont think there are oil ports on that side on the block except for the front and back corners
Maybe thats the cause of it running rich. The head and block was taken off and was resurface and because the guy rebuilt the motor with better and stronger parts. Maybe the head wasn't torqued all the way down or the compression pushed the head up a little? Do you think thats possible>?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it have head studs or the stock head bolts? stock head bolts with high compression CAn cause head lift, but not usually unless its over 11.5:1 cr typically or boosted.also if the guy re-used the head gasket that could be the problem as well. they only seal once.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it have head studs or the stock head bolts? stock head bolts with high compression CAn cause head lift, but not usually unless its over 11.5:1 cr typically or boosted.also if the guy re-used the head gasket that could be the problem as well. they only seal once.
I don't know if the guy used head studs or stock head bolts. The guy bought brand new Integra Type R Pistons for it and did a little block work. Head has Skunk 2 valve train, Skunk 2 Valves, Skunk2 retainers. Basiclly the head was built with Skunk 2 parts Except the cams. Don't know if that will boost the CR. I'm pretty sure he used a new head gasket but not too sure.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would get ahold of the guy and see about the HG. if it was reused that would be the best bet. if its ITR pistons w/ itr crank and head then you are looking at 11:1 CR about depending on if the head was milled or not. still shouldnt be enough to lift a head if its torqued correctly.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would get ahold of the guy and see about the HG. if it was reused that would be the best bet. if its ITR pistons w/ itr crank and head then you are looking at 11:1 CR about depending on if the head was milled or not. still shouldnt be enough to lift a head if its torqued correctly.
Can't get a hold of the guy no more. Delete all his contacts. If I can get enough people to verify that its the HG then I will change it to a new one. The block has new Type R Internals but the head has skunk2 internals. I have reciepts from the shop that he bought the stuff and where he got the head and block cleaned at. Don't know if it was milled or not. Would I be able to tell if I take the head off? Should I just spray some disc brake cleaner around where all the oil is and see where its dripping from after a few runs?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet your exhaust cam seal on the cam-gear side is leaking
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by HeikDiesel
I bet your exhaust cam seal on the cam-gear side is leaking
x2

I would say change both the cam seals cause that is the one thing that people do not change for some reason. Besides that is a lot cheaper and less work then a head gasket so why not.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
x2

I would say change both the cam seals cause that is the one thing that people do not change for some reason. Besides that is a lot cheaper and less work then a head gasket so why not.
I'm pretty sure those are the ones that need to be change. I have to take off the cam gear don't I if I do swap out the cam seals on the driver side and redo timing right? About to upload a actual picture.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Yes cam gears needs to come off hence why people don't do them and you will need to redo timing as well.

Don't forget to put some ultra grey or Honda bond on the cam seals.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictures are up
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Yes cam gears needs to come off hence why people don't do them and you will need to redo timing as well.

Don't forget to put some ultra grey or Honda bond on the cam seals.
Damn it lol. Do you recommend I loosen the bolts before I take off anything else? I'm pretty sure valve cover will come off first considering the 12mm socket won't fit.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM

If you don't have an impact like me then this will be a bit fun.

See if you can find an old timing belt laying around and after you take your timing belt off you use the old one and wrap it around both cam gears. Now get a vise grip and clamp the old timing belt together at the junction point and have someone hold it.

Take a 12mm socket wrench and use a small happer to tap the ends kind of like a impact would do to knock it loose. You do now want to hit it with too much force so you muscle mans out there becareful.

it will only take a good few taps and walla the cam bolts are free. That is how I do mine without air tool and without destroying the cam gears on head.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I would do is brake clean that head off really well. You can tell it's coming up from around those cam gears. Take the car for a 5 minute drive and come back and look with a flashlight to really tell where that is coming from. Might be a valve cover gasket for all you know right now
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeikDiesel
What I would do is brake clean that head off really well. You can tell it's coming up from around those cam gears. Take the car for a 5 minute drive and come back and look with a flashlight to really tell where that is coming from. Might be a valve cover gasket for all you know right now
I agree, check the Valve Cover gasket and Cam Seals before even thinking of messing with pulling the head. The Cam Seals should be changed out with Fresh ones with a Timing Belt change but as stated by others its often overlooked.