Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turn signal switch melted, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Turn signal switch melted, HELP!!!

My driverside headlight went out. I went to take a look and the socket was stuck onto the bulb. It was greasy on the socket, probably from the grease i used before. I pryed off the socket from the bulb and notice the bulb needed changing as well as the socket. I went to autozone to buy a new socket. I already had a spare bulb. I snipped off the old socket. It had three colors, black, black with a red stripe and green with a yellow stripe. On the socket pigtail from autozone it had three colors, black, red and green. I guess I should have disconnected the battery before anything. the old socket i snipped off, the wires touched for a second and sparked. I wired everything, black to black, red to the black with red stripe and the green to the green with yellow stripe. I turned the lights on but only the high beam was working still. I check the fuse since I thought I popped it when the wires touched and sparked. I was right and replaced the fuse. The low beams now works.

I left the low beams on since it was night time and couldnt see and decided to replace my fog light 55w bulbs with 100w bulbs. At that time I was in and out of the car alot. I smelled something like solder, like metal melting but I couldnt figuire it out. I finally finished changing out the bulb of the fogs and the low beams on both headlights went out. I used my flash light and found the smell, it was my turn signal switch melting away. I was lost and still is on how this could happen?

What could cause the turn signal switch to just melt? Did I wired the colors right? did i mixed the high and low beam wiring up? could the switch just randomly melt?
Attached Images     
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Turn signal switch melted, HELP!!!

Originally Posted by doubleoazn03
decided to replace my fog light 55w bulbs with 100w bulbs.
and this
I guess I should have disconnected the battery before anything. the old socket i snipped off, the wires touched for a second and sparked.
Did you really have to ask this question? You almost doubled the wattage of the bulb. And depending on how you wired them...viola! And not disconnecting the battery? Self explanatory.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The foglight bulbs are wired to the battery and the fuse box aux spot. It has its own switch and power source. In no way is it wired or have to do with the headlights. I know I should have disconnected the battery, I know I did wrong on that but how does that spark cause the switch to melt? Can anyone confirm the colors I spliced together was right? And yes I spliced them clean.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The foglight bulbs are wired to the battery and the fuse box aux spot. It has its own switch and power source. In no way is it wired or have to do with the headlights. I know I should have disconnected the battery, I know I did wrong on that but how does that spark cause the switch to melt? Can anyone confirm the colors I spliced together was right? And yes I spliced them clean.
SO why mention the fog lights? It just confuses everything. Your question is did you wire everything up correctly?

Post a pic of your handiwork.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to the junk yard this morning to find a new switch. I replaced it and it works now. I havent seen any signs of it melt. I drove for a while with the low beams on during the day. No melting so I guess Im good. And I know how to splice some wires. Ive installed numerous side markers and power folding mirrors before. I like to take my time and do a clean job.