Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TURBO TypeR

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO TypeR

So i decided that to put down the hp # that im looking for i will have to go turbo to keep my car a DD. Im looking for 250-300whp. With this build on the b18c5 i know ill need some low comp pistons to bring my compression down but what else would i need to do to the block do i need diff rods, crank, cams? Any help or oppinions would be great.
thanks
-nick
Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: TURBO TypeR (ekBlackHatch)

At 10psi on a bone-stock GSR with a good clutch you can make 300 at the wheels safely all day. Don't waste the money boosting a C5 unless you're really going to boost the **** out of it.

Your "decision" seems not to be rooted in a little thing I like to call "research". If you have so much money that you need to get rid of it, I can PM you my address. If not, you should read a lot more before you make any more "decisions".
Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO TypeR (Archidictus)

ty only reason why i wanted turbo is because im looking for a high 12second low 13 dd but thats going to be hard as hell NA on a 1.8 litir already have the ITR motor so i dont want to go a diff route. Research i will do before i just start throwing more $ around ty
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw a full-race kit on an R. Baddest complete kit on a stock motor i've seen in a while, put down 370hp. Expensive though.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ron454321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekBlackHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ty only reason why i wanted turbo is because im looking for a high 12second low 13 dd but thats going to be hard as hell NA on a 1.8 litir already have the ITR motor so i dont want to go a diff route. Research i will do before i just start throwing more $ around ty</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bolt On's will definately get you to mid to low 13's with a B18C5.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can make that kind of power on a stock c5. you just have less room for error when tuning.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CapnKrunch)

its built to be fast some some simple mods will get you there just do the RESEARCH and you will see.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (b16a3delsol)

A stock-bllock good condition LS can hold 300 on a good dyno tune.

Don't waste all that $ on a type R for 300 boosted horses...
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM

why would you boost something that has over 9.0:1 compression. thats really just stupid, if your gonna do it. do it right. low comp pistons, good rods, atleast a block gard. cams, intake, throttle body. etc.

i would not recomend boosting any honda engine that is v-tec because of the higher compression. a LS or B20 are great on boost (B20 HAS THINNER cylnders so i recomend sleving that block) but your fine on a LS.

just do some research.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:13 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TURBO TypeR (JDMishEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMishEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just do some research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

follow your own advice
Old 08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At 10psi on a bone-stock GSR with a good clutch you can make 300 at the wheels safely all day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So any turbo at 10 psi will make 300 horsepower at the wheels? What kind of turbo are you talking about? Different sized turbos will make different amounts of power at the same psi.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMishEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you boost something that has over 9.0:1 compression. thats really just stupid, if your gonna do it. do it right. low comp pistons, good rods, atleast a block gard. cams, intake, throttle body. etc.

i would not recomend boosting any honda engine that is v-tec because of the higher compression. a LS or B20 are great on boost (B20 HAS THINNER cylnders so i recomend sleving that block) but your fine on a LS.

just do some research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

boost nothing that has over 9.0:1 cr? thats not a very good statement considering nearly every honda motor is has a higher c/r than that. so your saying that boosting a stock honda motor is a dumb idea? a motor with higher compression can make more power than a motor with lower compression on the same turbo setup, you just have less room for error when tuning. there is nothing wrong with boosting a motor with higher compression than 9.0:1.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my questions was what would need to be done to the block to turbo a c5 safley not weither i wanted to keep my car N/A or turbo
-JDMISHEK- read strtciv93's post, and if you read my first post i stated about building the block i wasnt just going to turbo a 11:cr motor im not that big of a noob

Ron454321 if you could let me know about that turbo setup that would be dope ive seen a few boosted Rs that were sick but im curious about how they build them.

i will be doing some research but i just wanted to throw a post up for some quick info from some helpfull mates
well anyways all imput still welcome ty
-cheers
Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can make that power easily with a boosted type r. The most important thing is the tune. Just research piecing together a kit, or go with one of the decently-known pre-assembled kits out there and then get it tuned. You will be good to go.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The kit I was talking about was direct from http://www.full-race.com. Like I said though they are gonna cost, I think for an R its a little over 4k. Plus you gotta add in a good tune, I would hate to blow up a 4.5k motor because of skimping on a tune(you'll see better numbers anyway with a tune). You can always piece together a kit also, probably cost less but thats up to you. The compression ratio should not hold you back as much as people talk, with a nice tune you shouldn't have any issues, plenty of people with boosted Rs, its not "sacrilage" anymore. Personally I wouldn't tear up and build that motor, if you planb on doing that plus a turbo, buy a GSR or a B16. Gonna cost less and depending on the build will make as much power if not more. Thats my opinion though, I'm sure you've noticed it differs from person to person.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boosting a type r is just strange.
you can get the same results from a ls for a lot cheaper.
do people just do this for the sake of having a boosted c5?
like as a conversation piece?

good luck either way.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking c5 and changing all of the internals for boost defeats the purpose of a C5 in the first place. That's like me wanting to buy an EM1 and immediately wanting to swap a GSR engine in it. Why did I buy the EM1 in the first place?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol every1 is still saying n/a
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

because they are dif body lines i think or do they look the same i thought a si and a gsr look a lil diff but maybe thats just me thats a terrible analogy but i got the idea what you were trying to say most people buy a ls bottem end btw not a gsr
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ekBlackHatch)

Sell the c5.

Buy b18b

Turbo b18b

Spend saved money on a cruise.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMishEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you boost something that has over 9.0:1 compression. thats really just stupid, if your gonna do it. do it right. low comp pistons, good rods, atleast a block gard. cams, intake, throttle body. etc.

just do some research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your grasp of engineering and/or mechanics is anything approximating your grasp of the English language, I'd say you should take your own ******* advice. You obviously have no experience doing this.

Please, no one listen to this child.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I heart my Honda. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So any turbo at 10 psi will make 300 horsepower at the wheels? What kind of turbo are you talking about? Different sized turbos will make different amounts of power at the same psi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All true. To be specific, a .48cold/.60arhot T4 turbo on a blox log manifold with proper wastegate placement and a conservative tune will make 300+ whp on an otherwise stock B18C1. This will also give you a powerband that allows you to out-accelerate almost anything on the road from 3200-6600rpm without straining any part of the motor

Very good share I should have been more specific.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sell the c5.

Buy b18b

Turbo b18b

Spend saved money on a cruise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is probably the best suggestion out of everything here. A B18B turbo at 10 or 12psi will crank out plenty of power for the street, give you a nice fat torque curve and you'll probably make money after the sale of your C5 and the purchase of the above.

I don't like cruises. Buy yourself a 3-inch exhaust and a massive rear swaybar
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't like cruises. Buy yourself a 3-inch exhaust and a massive rear swaybar </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO TypeR (ek forever guy)

my buddy has a turbo type r with cams, 8 psi, stage 2 cluch, lightend flywheel, 3in exhaust. he got dynoed at 374hp to the wheels and he drives it daily. he had a lot of time spent on the tuning. i mean it seemed like his car was gone a month but i guess it was all worth it because he drives it ever day and has never had a problem with it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: TURBO TypeR (cmiller219)

A lot of time on the dyno usually means a lot of money in the tuning.

Unless he's got hookups.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TURBO TypeR (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A lot of time on the dyno usually means a lot of money in the tuning.

Unless he's got hookups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I've never seen a hardcore booosted type R take a short time on the dyno. They usually take awhile. A lot more than a 300whp LS on stock ints.

Quick Reply: TURBO TypeR