Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo Questions (boost)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Questions (boost)

Does anyone know how much lbs can go through a 96' 1.6L SOHC (non-vtec) safely maybe even pushin alil bit......ofcourse gonna go for a nice small turbo not a big one since it is a baby engine but just lookin to have some fun wit it............also preference what do u think is a better choice either port and polish head to gain like 50+ hp for about $200-500 or get a turbo kit for about 1g and maybe push more then that through the motor safely if possible
Old 07-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude your motor makes like 100hp there's no way a port and polish is going to give you 50hp maybe 5hp. Go turbo boost 8lbs max and get a good tune you should be happy right around 170hp.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:34 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (Sr420Det)

lol @ 50hp from y7 head. just booost it, u wont do nothing but lose power porting that head...BOOOOOOST
Old 07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

wow, 50+ hp.......

Go turbo man. 6-8 pounds is safe on your stock D. 10 max, no more. Oh, and try to find out what things make in Whp, not hp. Fairly big difference. Example: B16 makes 170 hp. In reality, what you feel is more aorund 140 whp.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boost_V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, 50+ hp.......

Go turbo man. 6-8 pounds is safe on your stock D. 10 max,</TD></TR></TABLE>

you people just dont get it do you ?????
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if i sound like a dick, it's unintentional.

you don't measure your motor's limits by a certain amount of psi you run. you measure the limits by how much the motor can handle.

i asked around here before, and i usually only thought i could run ~10psi on a stock gsr, but everyone told me that i could make under 300whp safely on stock internals, whether it be more than 10psi or under.

also, you'd need to factor in your turbo size in determining your amount of boost you run so you don't exceed your motor's limitations.

for example, a 14b @ 10 psi makes less power than a t3/to4e @ 10psi.

corrections welcome if i fucked anything up
Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
B A N N E D

"its not about the psi is whp" yada yada yada no crap....but what ****** size turbo to people use on these engines....t3 or t3/t4.....the ******* limit on whp = to around 10 psi on these turbos jesus. if i sound like a dick, im not meaning to...i mean its quite obvious what turbo size hes gonna use dont you think???? its a dam y7.. kinda obvious. whos gonna dyno tune a y7 anyways with just a turbo kit on low boost..not many...street tune, thats a must...but a dyno tune..come on now...not everyone has money to go see how much whp they are making when its around 170whp...lol
Old 07-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your post gives no advice what so ever
Old 07-21-2007, 01:18 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you people just dont get it do you ?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

talk about educating people.

also D series can make alot more than 170whp
if the y7 was mine, id throw a vtec head on it,vitara pistons and install crome, street tune it for up to 14psi, and be set, on whatever turbo you have...stock map wont read anymore anyways. you would have a blast..I just wouldnt run anymore than 10psi on the streets, at the track if thats your thang...crank the psi up and some high octane. fun as ****. and then in a year or so when the engine is done, pay $300-500 for a vtec sohc swap. do it all again..lol

oh look he even said it here "ofcourse gonna go for a nice small turbo not a big one " so i think our tellin him 10psi for safe boost, and 14 high is perfectly fine.

Modified by DecentCivicZ6 at 2:29 PM 7/21/2007
Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"its not about the psi is whp" yada yada yada no crap....but what ****** size turbo to people use on these engines....t3 or t3/t4.....the ******* limit on whp = to around 10 psi on these turbos jesus. if i sound like a dick, im not meaning to...i mean its quite obvious what turbo size hes gonna use dont you think???? its a dam y7.. kinda obvious. whos gonna dyno tune a y7 anyways with just a turbo kit on low boost..not many...street tune, thats a must...but a dyno tune..come on now...not everyone has money to go see how much whp they are making when its around 170whp...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

its amazingly present that you dont have a CLUE what you are talking about here. first off MANY people put HUGE turbos on sohc just because they dont know any better. secondly, the turbo selected should be based on the plans of the car (what its going to be used for). and lastly, a street tune cost nearly as much as a dyno tune and ISNT RELIABLE unless you have a VERY friendly tuner thats willing to put in the time tuning on the street (which is very unsafe to begin with).

you dont have to be rich to have a boosted sohc, you dont even have to be smart (you prove that), but you have to be either smart or rich.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its amazingly present that you dont have a CLUE what you are talking about here. first off MANY people put HUGE turbos on sohc just because they dont know any better. secondly, the turbo selected should be based on the plans of the car (what its going to be used for). and lastly, a street tune cost nearly as much as a dyno tune and ISNT RELIABLE unless you have a VERY friendly tuner thats willing to put in the time tuning on the street (which is very unsafe to begin with).

you dont have to be rich to have a boosted sohc, you dont even have to be smart (you prove that), but you have to be either smart or rich. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMFAO you hit that on the head, gotta love rich noobs that no nothing except how to get mommy and daddy to make their car faster LOL
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you dont have to be rich to have a boosted sohc, you dont even have to be smart (you prove that), but you have to be either smart or rich. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i mean are you smoking ******* crack??? he said SMALL TURBO . when you get on my level, talk again.until then, keep going around to the boards trying to act smart by saying a bunch of nothing. its quite OBVIOUS the op isnt looking for anything of to what you said...Big turbo, future plans, this an that...if dude wants a small turbo to boost a $300 engine let him do it, all the info ive told him is fine...its funny how my car lasted a year on boost with 185k miles on the engine t3/t04e 57trim...and a strete tune that we spent like...30mins doing, i mean its a cheap *** engine in stock form + id have to bore it to put pistons in them old cylinders...and expletive a bored and boosted d series.....I cranked my boost over what my tune was reason mine went...but who cares...it was starting to get blow by anyways, so it was time for new ****...and next week we will see what the dyno has to show...lookin for 400whp+...guess what im not rich biotch.

Modified by DecentCivicZ6 at 3:22 PM 7/21/2007
Old 07-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i mean are you smoking ******* crack??? he said SMALL TURBO YOU DUMB ****. when you get on my level, talk again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I were you, I would not post in here anymore because you are setting yourself up for embarrassment
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
B A N N E D

hey mikey, you can try all you want to get some "embarrassment" to bad you wont get any tho. I know wtf I talk about. Sorry bro.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey mikey, you can try all you want to get some "embarrassment" to bad you wont get any tho. I know wtf I talk about. Sorry bro.</TD></TR></TABLE>

think what you want, but its pretty clear that you have no clue what you are talking about. I will watch you get torn up, flamed, and rubbed in the dirt and then say.. I told you so. Good Luck LOLOLLOLOL
Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

I like these argument threads where the OP never posts again and ends in a lock.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Turbo Questions (maniacmidge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maniacmidge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know how much lbs can go through a 96' 1.6L SOHC (non-vtec) safely maybe even pushin alil bit......ofcourse gonna go for a nice small turbo not a big one since it is a baby engine but just lookin to have some fun wit it............also preference what do u think is a better choice either port and polish head to gain like 50+ hp for about $200-500 or get a turbo kit for about 1g and maybe push more then that through the motor safely if possible</TD></TR></TABLE>

my serious advice to you without my hangover attitude involved, If you had the money to spend $200-500 to port a D series head (unless thats all you have total)...Swap the entire engine out for a B series. OR go my route. H beam rods, vitara pistons, new bearings/thrust washers, and put a y8 head on the y7 block. and you will be good for 400whp with a 57 trim t3/t04e. thats on a stock head. thats the best bang for the buck IMO. those pistons are super cheap.and there are tons of other people with the setup to back it up. Ill let you know about mine this comming week. if thats not your plans, which I didnt think it was. Just throw a t3/t04b on it...or even super 60 T3. 8-14psi would be fun on all 3 turbos. but just dont forget to get ECU chipped with crome/uberdata/neptune one of the programs, and atleast a street tune
Old 07-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Questions (DecentCivicZ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my serious advice to you without my hangover attitude involved, If you had the money to spend $200-500 to port a D series head (unless thats all you have total)...Swap the entire engine out for a B series. OR go my route. H beam rods, vitara pistons, new bearings/thrust washers, and put a y8 head on the y7 block. and you will be good for 400whp with a 57 trim t3/t04e. thats on a stock head. thats the best bang for the buck IMO. those pistons are super cheap.and there are tons of other people with the setup to back it up. Ill let you know about mine this comming week. if thats not your plans, which I didnt think it was. Just throw a t3/t04b on it...or even super 60 T3. 8-14psi would be fun on all 3 turbos. but just dont forget to get ECU chipped with crome/uberdata/neptune one of the programs, and atleast a street tune</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man, this is hilarious, so your SMALL turbo is good for 400whp huh??? and the stock Y8 is capable of flowing such airflow to achieve that power level??? once again, stop acting like you know something. sure you can spit numbers and combos all day, but if you HONESTLY think 400whp is a posibility with the setup you listed you have already lost this battle buddy.

i will admit i am one to flame and call people out when they act like a jackass, but i will also say, that RARELY am i wrong about someone actually being a total TOOL.

by the way, for humor purposes, whats your compression ratio with that 400whp setup.

oh and also, what are you gonna use to keep the sleeves intact at 400whp???
Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Questions (schardbody)

^ Now while agree with you on almost all points, I will disagree with your assumption that you cant make 400hp with stock sleeves. I have witnessed a dyno tune of a member from my local car forum's y8. The only difference in his setup was that he used TT rods instead of eagles. His final run was 417 hp. (tuned with NepTune) He semi daily drives his car and it has held up since the tuning session last october. His only issues have been burned clutches and the implosion of the weak open differential. (since replaced with a rebuilt obx) I have built my y8 using his as a guide, and when I am ready to tune this fall, I expect similar numbers. It can be done. The tune will determine the life of your motor.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Questions (maynards_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maynards_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ Now while agree with you on almost all points, I will disagree with your assumption that you cant make 400hp with stock sleeves. I have witnessed a dyno tune of a member from my local car forum's y8. The only difference in his setup was that he used TT rods instead of eagles. His final run was 417 hp. (tuned with NepTune) He semi daily drives his car and it has held up since the tuning session last october. His only issues have been burned clutches and the implosion of the weak open differential. (since replaced with a rebuilt obx) I have built my y8 using his as a guide, and when I am ready to tune this fall, I expect similar numbers. It can be done. The tune will determine the life of your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he might have stock sleeves, but there is most definately something he isnt telling you or you just dont know about that is keeping his sleeves intact.

cylinder pressures that high and sohc open deck bores dont get along, with a built bottom end the sleeves are the weak point, there are a few cheap solutions that are semi-reliable, but SURELY to run daily on 400whp you arent running a stock sleeve without reinforcement.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:21 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Turbo Questions (schardbody)

lol you guys are funny. Now since when did you have to run 400whp daily driven from a turbo car? there is somthing called a controlled boost leak aka, boost controller....for people who have never heard of one...geez...So are you 2 kidding me about not making 400whp on SOHC? lol thats hilarious. Do your own damn research and see yourself, doesnt bother me a bit that you dont have a clue, thats pretty funny actually, and im sure the other boosted SOHC are laughing also at you.

PS: check out epictuning.com and about the 20 other 400+whp D16 turbo on HT. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2035990
Old 07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^WTF are you babbling about? Can you not see that I was totally agreeing with you? I know for a fact that you can get 400hp out of a d because I have seen it done with my own eyes, and I hope to follow in his footsteps.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (Boost_V)

try 5 hp from a port and polish
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> lol you guys are funny. Now since when did you have to run 400whp daily driven from a turbo car? there is somthing called a controlled boost leak aka, boost controller....for people who have never heard of one...geez...So are you 2 kidding me about not making 400whp on SOHC? lol thats hilarious. Do your own damn research and see yourself, doesnt bother me a bit that you dont have a clue, thats pretty funny actually, and im sure the other boosted SOHC are laughing also at you.

PS: check out epictuning.com and about the 20 other 400+whp D16 turbo on HT. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2035990</TD></TR></TABLE>

posting up someone elses build thread shows me nothing about you, im aware of what is possible, but i want to see what you can do. post dyno sheets and specs once you have something.

oh and PLEASE explain the controlled boost leak you mentioned. NOBODY ELSE ANSWER THIS, I GOTTA HEAR HIS EXPLANATION OF THE CONTROLLED BOOST LEAK.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=DecentCivicZ6]

talk about educating people.

also D series can make alot more than 170whp
if the y7 was mine, id throw a vtec head on it,vitara pistons and install crome, street tune it for up to 14psi, and be set, on whatever turbo you have...stock map wont read anymore anyways. you would have a blast..I just wouldnt run anymore than 10psi on the streets, at the track if thats your thang...crank the psi up and some high octane. fun as ****. and then in a year or so when the engine is done, pay $300-500 for a vtec sohc swap. do it all again..lol

oh look he even said it here "ofcourse gonna go for a nice small turbo not a big one " so i think our tellin him 10psi for safe boost, and 14 high is perfectly fine.

sorry but i have to disagree.... im pretty sure that 14psi from a gt30 or similiar turbo and turning the boost up at the track with a boost controller as u suggested... which u have no idea how accurate or it is or will be over time.. will end in a tow ride home... he also stated small turbo, well small to him and small to some ppl are two completely different things, hell some ppl consider a 60-1 small compared to whats out now, until we know the size of the turbo or a desired goal i dont think u have much use in this thread besides blobing it up with stupid argumental comments... yea cool u <U>had</U> a boosted single slam, u told us about it and also the op, but u didnt have to list ur new setup which im sure your spending more money on than the op originally inteded, so why tell him wat he could do when u could be trying to find out wat he wants to d

i mean are you smoking ******* crack??? he said SMALL TURBO . when you get on my level, talk again.until then, keep going around to the boards trying to act smart by saying a bunch of nothing. its quite OBVIOUS the op isnt looking for anything of to what you said...Big turbo, future plans, this an that...if dude wants a small turbo to boost a $300 engine let him do it, all the info ive told him is fine...its funny how my car lasted a year on boost with 185k miles on the engine t3/t04e 57trim...and a strete tune that we spent like...30mins doing, i mean its a cheap *** engine in stock form + id have to bore it to put pistons in them old cylinders...and expletive a bored and boosted d series.....I cranked my boost over what my tune was reason mine went...but who cares...it was starting to get blow by anyways, so it was time for new ****...and next week we will see what the dyno has to show...lookin for 400whp+...guess what im not rich biotch.

you must be refering to your machurity level which in my opinion is as low as it can get.. seriously man grow up, just because u got that time out of your car on a street tune and playing with the boost is luck if u ask me.. how u gonna feel when this guy follows in your footsteps and is shot down the first time he put the pedal down and somethin goes wrong... street tunes are nothing to keep with a boosted car unless its a joke... now im not bashing street tunes but i am bashing the fact that for a days worth of pay u can get on the dyno

Quick Reply: Turbo Questions (boost)