Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo questions

i just got a d16z6 to build it and i want to go fully built turbo
how much do i have to spend to sleeve it and everything??
i just want to know how much i might be spending??
and does anybody know about turbo web sites?? so i can buy the turbo kits or should i buy from diff place to place??
Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo questions (juanintec)

Plan on 4-6k for quality.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Re: turbo questions (994door)

4K to 6K
what if i build the block and just bolt ons the head like cam and springs and retainers??
how much are turbos or turbo kits?? is it cheaper if i buy peace by peace?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shop around im running 12 psi on my street tuned z6 with a 60 trim t3 and i have less than 200 bucking into this kit arp head studs blitz bov huge from mount gauges etc shop around and you really dont need to sleeve the block unless you r going to run 400 whp or more!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo questions (97ekb18b)

yeah man you can get a good reliable 250-275ish to the wheels reliably without sleeving it.

If you havent done this before id go with a kit, like i am.

I've narrowed mine down to either edelbrock, peakboost, or neukin kit.

for a d series id look to be spending between 2500-4000 to get a decent kit and tune.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, piece it together. The "kits" NEVER have everything you'll need anyways.

We need to know your hp goals on this Z6, then we can more accurately tell you what you'll be looking at.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Re: turbo questions (JdelMsolG)

i been shoping around and the kits are like 3k and dont have EVEERYTHING i need.
i dont reallywant to go with eldbowbrock or however you spell that.
i wanted to go for like 300hp. or close to that
could i do that on a stock d16z6??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97ekb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shop around im running 12 psi on my street tuned z6 with a 60 trim t3 and i have less than 200 bucking into this kit arp head studs blitz bov huge from mount gauges etc shop around and you really dont need to sleeve the block unless you r going to run 400 whp or more! </TD></TR></TABLE>
and how much power are you putting down to the weheels with your 12 psi??
its stock?? so sleeve or anything??
i thought they could only handel like 6 psi stock??
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

cuz edelbrock, cost like 3,300 for the kit and it gains like 179 horse power with like 6 to 7 psi dont seem much
Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

300 WHP can be made on a almost stock motor but it wont be reliable look into at least a block guard to keep the sleeves from stress cracking doesn't help much but it will help. Look to get a stand alone ecu with 370 to 440cc injectors. some good valve retainers wont hurt.

The weakest point on the Single cams and I believe everyone will agree is the rods. so you can get good power out of it without sleeving it but everything else is going to cost. rods, pistons, block guard, valves, valve springs and retainers. If you get lucky you could buy all this stuff anywhere from 800 to 1500 depending on if new or used. the AEM or Hondata s300 is whats going to cost you.

Still none of this includes your turbo setup. If your patient you can piece one together or buy a kit so easily your still looking on spending 4k-6k quality is not cheap and cheap parts are not reliable Just browse the for sale stuff maybe you will get lucky.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Re: turbo questions (slvrcvc93)

ok umm haha what in the world are block guards i heard of them but i dont know the purpose of it??
should i sleeve it so it can be reliable??how much is it to sleeve it??
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

home made turbo kit if you dont wanna spend alot
Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo questions (EG_SICKZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_SICKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">home made turbo kit if you dont wanna spend alot </TD></TR></TABLE>

He wants a fully built motor, he obviously doesn't care much about money &gt;.&lt;.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

300 whp=
forged pistons, forged rods, t3t4 57trim 60ar, head studs, prolly throw a cam in there.
make a post in forced induction, don't know if you'll get any answers

lookin at $2k piecing together. boost controller? tuning? tires/wheels?
need more info. street/drag/track?

Modified by 95dxsir2 at 8:06 PM 8/1/2008
Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Re: turbo questions (Syndacate)

how do you build a home turbo?? how do you get the parts??
is it hard or what just need a tig welder huh??
if i could save money that would be nice but ehh
how much am i looking at for a hole turbo?? intercooler injectors piping turbo manifold oil line ect....???
if i get it in pieces is it better that wey???
if i go like 8 or 9 psi how much can i make to the wheels??
safeif stock??
ok people tell me i can pull 300whp with a stock motor and then people tell me is not reliable. does anybody have any comments to that?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for a single cam I was told 225-250 was about it. but for a home made kit maybe 200 whp. I'm debating on selling my almost full hmt kit. basicaly its a dsm turbo and a hf mani with an adapter.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can piece together your own kit in so many different ways. Check out the Forced Induction sponsors subforum, and look for parts there. I'd recommend joining other forums as well for more specified information. I'm not knocking H-T in any way, there are just other forums that are all about specific subjects. Like http://www.d-series.org or http://www.turbod16.com Those sites are specific for D-series engines, and have a ton of information. http://www.homemadeturbo.com is a good site for DIY turbo kits as well. Those sites also have sponsor forums as well, so check them out too.

Since you're only looking for 300whp, you don't really need to go crazy with parts just to have it be reliable. You could go with YCP's Vitara pistons, which would cut your costs down a few $100 while still being quality parts. Then get some rods, from a company like Eagle or Scat. The Vitara pistons are going to lower your compression a lot, so you may want to look into the custom pistons from FJDistributors, that are made specifically for a better compression ratio with those pistons. Then get some head studs, and get the engine built with new bearings, gaskets, seals, & belts. Internally that should be about all that you'll need to handle 300whp, the rest is in engine management.

Turbo parts are easy to find from different places. There are a lot of companies that sell intercooler/charge pipe kits, intercoolers, turbos, manifolds, oil lines, down pipes, BOVs, wastegates, etc. Then obviously there's the engine management. Just find a reputable local tuner and see what they recommend, then do more research after that.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can spend the big money if you want, but peolpe are running 400whp d16's without sleeves. All they have is the vitara pistons/eagle rod combo with a cometic head gasket, then there turbo kit. As mentioned above turbod16.com and hometurbo.com are great places. I had around 3k in mine and all i need was some $350 550 rc injectors and a tune to hit 350whp. These prices was with me doing all the work (im my own mechanic lol). The vitara/eagle combo with all gaskets to rebuild can be had for $850 via ebay (thats where i got mine). You can tune with crome for really cheap, but if your feeling expensive you can go with hondata.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy my kit!!

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread/2356890
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (cvkid15)

but how long did the 400HP motor last till it blew??
or still running strong??
how much psi can the stock sleeves take??
i was told like 6 to 8 psi stock! true??

i can get 300hp with just the turbo set up with some good boost or i also have to but cams and what not??
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i dont want to be that ******* but seriously, read read read all the info your asking about is out there in the FAQ's try turbod16 and homemadeturbo.com both are great sources. i researched for about 4 months before i bought a single part for a turbo kit
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have to agree. i researched for about 6 months and im just now starting peicing my kit together. a simple google search will give you a "shopping list" of parts needed to make a turbo kit and what vehicles you can pull parts from. do some searching and alot of research cuz you need to know what ur getting into with a turbo'd vehicle. and if your peicing a kit together know that ur probly gonna spend more on the tune than the turbo kit.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Default Re: (scottdh20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scottdh20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have to agree. i researched for about 6 months and im just now starting peicing my kit together. a simple google search will give you a "shopping list" of parts needed to make a turbo kit and what vehicles you can pull parts from. do some searching and alot of research cuz you need to know what ur getting into with a turbo'd vehicle. and if your peicing a kit together know that ur probly gonna spend more on the tune than the turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
is that possibel to spend more money on the tune then the turbo kit??
i been doing research. for like 2 months now.
i still dont know what to go for??
whats a good set up to run 300 to 350 whp? what other research can i do??
i tried looking at the links but they help just a "bit"
Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you say you want like 300whp+, is this for the street cuz you wont need that much power for a daily driver.

rods and pistons for sure, try fjtdistributors.com they have things for cheap for the d series.

think of long run and always buy legit parts cuz it will keep you from buying things twice
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (cvkid15)

yeah it would be a daily driver.
I always hade two cars one to built and one for daily driver but i save a lot of money by just having one lol the insurance and ****.
so yeah it would be my daily
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (juanintec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cvkid15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you say you want like 300whp+, is this for the street cuz you wont need that much power for a daily driver.

rods and pistons for sure, try fjtdistributors.com they have things for cheap for the d series.

think of long run and always buy legit parts cuz it will keep you from buying things twice</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i tried going to that web site fjtdistributors.com it took me to a place to buy tubs

Quick Reply: turbo questions