Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Problem

my friend is having a problem with his turbo Del sol. It has a b18b1. When he is driving and takes it to high RPM's the tubing with the BOV pops off of the IC tubing. What could be causing that. When I looked inside the tubing there is oil in it. Is that bad? Could it be something serious? Also is the turbo manifold suppose to be really hot? I put a drop of water on it and it just slid right off. It seems like it is hotter than normal. I need to know something ASAP. I am posting a pic of the tubing that pops off the ic tubing and a pic of the oil. Right now I have part of the tubing off so I can cget the oil out of it.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Problem (dawrenn)

How much boost is he running?

I think that the oil in the system is just lubricating the pipe with the silicone coupler and causing it to pop off since its just clamping onto a straight tube. The tube should have a step so the coupler wont come off after you use the clamp.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 AM

the oil means that the turbo may be leaking inside or he has serious *** blow back. either way its not good. as far as the tubing, try longer conectors and make sure they are tight
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 AM

Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Turbo Problem (Marauder)

He is only running 5 PSI. It is being restricted with a spring. Why is it not good? The car seems to drive fine except when the tubing pops off and that started happening when he ran up a curb but I looked under the car and nothing is damaged. I made sure they were tight. Why do you think its popping off?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that the oil in the system is just lubricating the pipe with the silicone coupler and causing it to pop off since its just clamping onto a straight tube. The tube should have a step so the coupler wont come off after you use the clamp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is why it is popping off if the clamps are tight
Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 AM

it's probably popping off, because it's not secured tightly enough.......
Old 12-13-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Turbo Problem (Pioneer162)

but it did not start popping of until he drove up on a curb. But I checked under the car and nothing got damaged. Someone says that the turbo seals went bad and he needs the turbo rebuilt or a new turbo.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but it did not start popping of until he drove up on a curb. But I checked under the car and nothing got damaged. Someone says that the turbo seals went bad and he needs the turbo rebuilt or a new turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's possible, because there shouldn't be oil in the tubing like that. If the seals are bad, and oil is leaking, it's possible that it's overheating and causing the manifold to be hotter as well. I'd take off the turbo and see what it looks like.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 AM
H-T White Ops

He can get the bevel put into the pipe so the connector stays on better. It's just a lip that goes all the way around towards the edge of the pipe. Pretty much any metal shop should be able to do it for him.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When turbo seals go bad, they leak oil.

The leaking oil is causing the pipe to pop off....oil = lubrication = pop off straight tube.

The incident with the curb is just probably a conincidence.

Of course the car will still run without the tube connected, it just wont boost. But you can quickly destroy a turbo that way, cause the turbo will still spin but have no load on it. You can overspeed the turbo and hurt it even more.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Turbo Problem

Someone said turbo mani's are suppose to be hot. They said its normal. But the tubing did not start popping off until he ran up on a curb. how much would a turbo rebuild cost or a new turbo?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a turbo rebuild depends on which turbo it is, and what's wrong with it. A new turbo...well, the prices depend on which turbo you have.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 AM

This is the turbo: Garrett T3/T04b turbo .60A/R
Old 12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone said turbo mani's are suppose to be hot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they're supposed to be. My friends has actually started to glow red after some hot laps at the track depending on the condition. You said it seemed to be running hotter, which is possible because it seems as though all the oil that should be cooling the turbo is ending up in the piping.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is the turbo: Garrett T3/T04b turbo .60A/R
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good, now call some turbo rebuilders and get a quote! You can also search for new turbos too!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 AM

Is this the right turbo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW
Old 12-13-2004, 09:53 AM

when i got oil in my ic piping it was because i blew my piston ring lands, check the compression before you send that turbo out, i thought it was my turbo also but it only had about 2,000 miles on it so we checked my compression and it was 60 all the way through
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Turbo Problem (turbod16y7vtec)

its coming from another pipe and getting in the IC
Old 12-13-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Turbo Problem (civictildeath)

The is really no oil in the turbo.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The is really no oil in the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the manifold. It can only come from two places: the head or the turbo. If it's coming from the turbo, the intake housing will be soaked and the charge pipes will have all sorts of yummy **** in them. If it's coming from the head, the exhaust manifold and tubing from the wastegate, BOV and exhaust housing will have oil in them. Just take it off piece by piece and figure out the culprit.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Problem (Archidictus)

As far as the pipeing blowing off, tell him to get a bead of weld around easch pipe, then use a connector, that way it will have something to hold onto.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Turbo Problem (Archidictus)

What and where is the exhaust housing? There is some oil in the tubing with the BOV but its at the bottom. how would oli get into the BOV?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:38 PM

why you posting this in two forums dude? your getting the same info in both forums
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Problem (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why you posting this in two forums dude? your getting the same info in both forums</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a thread on turbod16 too.

I would say, tear all the **** apart and find where the oil is coming from. If you say its not coming from the turbo, well, there aren't many other options. We can't help you unless we know where the source of oil is from.

Quick Reply: Turbo Problem