Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo kit? urgent questions .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO KIT? URGENT QUESTIONZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

im about to buy a turbo kit....guy says this ( its airflow research which is a
subsidary of garret which are the best turbos ever haha ) is that true or not? is that even a brand or is he yankin my chain since i know nothing about turbo systems.....it's gonna be for my d16y7 ....will it work good or not? it comes with the turbo, down pipe, manifold, bov n custom welded bov piping, wastegate, side mount intercooler, and a boost based fuel management system. Selling it to me for $500 says he needs to get rid of it because he needs to pay tuition for college.....said he got it for a little over $1k.... Does this seem like a good deal or not? all i have to buy for it is the piping kit for the intercooler which he showed me some on ebay for around $100 and then i would need to get oil lines for the turbo.......so???

also if anyones familiar with the Austin, tx. area....please let me know of any close by or in Austin, > shops that will install turbos and wont rip a whole in your wallet....?

and another>> is this kit even worth getting? is there allot more stuff i would have to get, to make this work? i know i am not a very patient person, but can i not just buy the kit, then buy my piping for the intercooler, then buy the oil lines, then bolt it all up? does it just not work that way lol?

Modified by donesix at 2:14 PM 1/24/2007

Modified by donesix at 2:19 PM 1/24/2007

Modified by donesix at 2:29 PM 1/24/2007
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo kit? urgent questions ..... (donesix)

Ok so you have the chargepipe with the BOV on it? And you just need the addtional charge pipes? That's not too bad. The oil lines shouldn't be too hard to manage but does it have the exhaust side of the turbo...does it have the manifold to bolt up to your head...when you say fuel management, does it come with an FMU or are you chipping your ECU and running chrom/hondata/neptune ETC with it? (THe chipping is better but if you wanna start small and with LOW boost you can get an FMU) .....Yes I have a Garrett turbo and it has airesearch on it, so that's not any bull there. You stated you're getting a waste gate, that's good...does it have a dump tube to dump the excess fumes? Side mount intercooler isn't bad, my personal preference is a front mount though, but really that's not a necessity. I'm saying all this because I bought a very close to complete kit for 800 bucks shipped but there are a LOT of parts that I had/have to get as well....you're also going to need a part that is called "the missing link" which is somewhat expensive and that's for your MAP sensor. That's really all I can think of right now...Anyone else have some input?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo kit? urgent questions ..... (bart2546)

get a y8 intake mani or aftermarket mani, dont even mess with the y7 one
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: TURBO KIT? URGENT QUESTIONZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? (donesix)

(curious) why should i do that?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone please correct me if I give misinformation here BUT I believe it's because the y7 manifold is a temperamental POS. It's just easier if you swap the y8 one in their because it will fit the charge pipes and such much better when you install it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he bought an ebay kit or something.

I'd stay FAR away from that ****.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

lol no ebay kit here.....like it says up there^^ it's from a personal buyer and he says it's an air reasearch garret t3/t4 turbo kit. and some guy up there^^ said that that is a good turbo and its not a ebay thing......but anyways......i was wondering....if i get an after market throttle body to bolt onto an aftermarket skunk2 intake manifold......how does the throttle cable reach all the way over there to where the aftermarket one extends to. Because the stock intake manifold is vertical but the aftermarket is horizontal.......so yeah.....how would that work ?

and charge pipes.....those are just simply the pipes that run from the intake manifold to the intercooler to the turbo right?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donesix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol no ebay kit here.....like it says up there^^ it's from a personal buyer and he says it's an air reasearch garret t3/t4 turbo kit. and some guy up there^^ said that that is a good turbo and its not a ebay thing......but anyways......i was wondering....if i get an after market throttle body to bolt onto an aftermarket skunk2 intake manifold......how does the throttle cable reach all the way over there to where the aftermarket one extends to. Because the stock intake manifold is vertical but the aftermarket is horizontal.......so yeah.....how would that work ?

and charge pipes.....those are just simply the pipes that run from the intake manifold to the intercooler to the turbo right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did read - I said it sounds like HE bought it from an ebay store and now he's tryin to pawn it off on you.

It's up to you though.

Seriously "the same air flow research as garret" - sounds like a cheap *** knock-off brand.

EDIT:
Air research is pretty damn universal in terms of turbos, what else is there?

I've never heard of somebody using one turbo over another "because it flows better" or "its air dynamics are far superior" - though I suppose anything is possible.