Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo d, vs stock b18c1

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo d, vs stock b18c1

hey, well i got a stock gsr in my ek hatch, and since i never really driven anything this fast before, i got to admit, the motors fast, but i got an offer of a complete greddy turbo kit. and a motor that comes with it

d15b7 motor w/ z6 transmission

here is the turbo set up

Greddy 15g manifold
Garrett T25 turbo (no shaft play,spins freely)
JRC 6" Intercooler
Greddy o2 sensor
Greddy Piping
Turbo XS bov
Autometer Boost Gauge
Tapped D-series oil pan
Couplers & Clamps

only missing fuel management, lines, and downpipe

how much whp would that push out if tuned correctly? and also would that be funner/faster then a stock gsr. I would go all motor/turbo gsr but money is an issue

Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (EK SQUAD 425)

I would wait and save the cash to buy a turbo kit for the C1.Turbo C1 would tear apart
a sohc boosted motor.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 PM

These turbo vs. swap threads are starting to be common .

A boosted D can take out any stock B-series engine and if you decide to boost a D-series engine you're better off putting that Greddy kit on a y8 instead of a b7. It's also relatively cheap to replace parts and even the engine itself should anything go wrong. However, your GSR motor has a lot more potential especially when it comes to FI and since you already have the GSR in your car, I'd just put my money to building that bitch.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (eetmaishiet)

Since you already have the B18c, boost it! This is coming from a guy who loves his D16 too!But if i had to pick between stock gsr and turboD,TurboD is better all around IMO.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK SQUAD 425 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey, well i got a stock gsr in my ek hatch, and since i never really driven anything this fast before, i got to admit, the motors fast, but i got an offer of a complete greddy turbo kit. and a motor that comes with it

d15b7 motor w/ z6 transmission

here is the turbo set up

Greddy 15g manifold
Garrett T25 turbo (no shaft play,spins freely)
JRC 6" Intercooler
Greddy o2 sensor
Greddy Piping
Turbo XS bov
Autometer Boost Gauge
Tapped D-series oil pan
Couplers & Clamps

only missing fuel management, lines, and downpipe

how much whp would that push out if tuned correctly? and also would that be funner/faster then a stock gsr. I would go all motor/turbo gsr but money is an issue

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1). A stock GSR engine in an EK hatch is anything but "fast".
2). The turbo D will depend heavily on the fuel management and how well its tuned

Tuned correctly, it will destroy the B series all around. I had a 190whp built GSR engine in my EG hatch. It was quick. The D16Z6 in it now on 10psi would destroy it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1). A stock GSR engine in an EK hatch is anything but "fast".
2). The turbo D will depend heavily on the fuel management and how well its tuned

Tuned correctly, it will destroy the B series all around. I had a 190whp built GSR engine in my EG hatch. It was quick. The D16Z6 in it now on 10psi would destroy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure about that?

What size turbo are you running? I'm hoping for some kind of crazy *** response like a GT35R

I pulled several boosted d-series in my JDM B18C coupe.. i/e skunk 2 im,b16 tranny.. One was D16z6 with greddy kit on 12lbs.. Another was custom with a T3/t4.

Come on now those turbo's are practically hand held fit in your palm they're so small.

IMHO, if you already have the b-series i would NEVER trade a B for a D.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you sure about that?

What size turbo are you running? I'm hoping for some kind of crazy *** response like a GT35R

I pulled several boosted d-series in my JDM B18C coupe.. i/e skunk 2 im,b16 tranny.. One was D16z6 with greddy kit on 12lbs.. Another was custom with a T3/t4.

Come on now those turbo's are practically hand held fit in your palm they're so small.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

jdmb18c meaing the ITR motor right??or is this the jdm gsr motor??
Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes a D16 with a GT35R (is a handful). rota92 and I had one last year. It ran 11.95 @ 12psi with 3 sunk sleeves. Dynoed at 260WHP. I would say that's a little bit quicker then a stock GSR on a hatch.

If you already have the B series, keep it and boost it. You have a stronger tranny why would you give up what you have to go with a weaker tranny.

We just put a B series tranny on our D.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (1992Si)

Well, as one who had pretty much the exact same setup i'd go with the d-series. I was only on 6 pounds (it was my only car) on a B7/Z6 mini-me with the turbo kit listed in my sig and it was plenty quick. I was a good bit slower than my roommates 190WHP B18C hatch, but I think that if I pushed that to 9-10 psi that i'd be able to take him.

The thing with turbo cars is that you can get a lot more power by turning the boost up and getting a better tune. But, I feel that a stock B7 would only be able to hold 170-180 WHP reliably before it blew up. Being that stock GSR's put out about 150-155 WHP i'd say you're better off with the d-series. I'd put that kit on a JDM D15B personally and run 8-9 psi on it. You should be able to push 200 HP with a good tune, and that'll be a lot better than a stock GSR
Old 09-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say keep the B. You could piece a better turbo kit than a greddy for around 1000.00 with quality parts.
Good tune 8-12 psi on a c1 would be lovely.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
H-T's Biggest Retard

Sorry, but that is a stupid question. A D w/turbo or a b18c1, please you could just save and buy a turbo for the B and be killing it. That is a good motor and it loves turbo after a few mods on a dino. A D has nothing you can do to it and on top of that you will have to rebuild the motor after a few hard passes on a track. That motor is strong but only when it is stock. Think about why the guy would be selling it in the first place, IT IS A D!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM

not all turbo d's will smash on b series it all depends on how its built and the driver..in my gsr hatch ive takin plety of turbo d's but at the same time have been beat by many...but theres not to many d's out there that can hang with a turbo gsr
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jdmb18c meaing the ITR motor right??or is this the jdm gsr motor??</TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM GSR

Really it's going to be all about personal prefrence and opinon.. Yeah if you want to trade your gsr swap and have a turbo go ahead..

On down the road when or if you can even hit 200whp (depending on who your gonna get to tune it & your fuel management)
200 whp is going to be fast, but for how long? Your gonna get your *** handed to you and your gonna want more. If you stick with the GSR motor Theres ton's of people laying 275-300 whp with stock internals that's reliable (Not beating up on the car everyday)

Stay B-Series!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (crvtec10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crvtec10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, but that is a stupid question. A D w/turbo or a b18c1, please you could just save and buy a turbo for the B and be killing it. That is a good motor and it loves turbo after a few mods on a dino. A D has nothing you can do to it and on top of that you will have to rebuild the motor after a few hard passes on a track. That motor is strong but only when it is stock. Think about why the guy would be selling it in the first place, IT IS A D!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're a complete moron.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (crvtec10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crvtec10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, but that is a stupid question. A D w/turbo or a b18c1, please you could just save and buy a turbo for the B and be killing it. That is a good motor and it loves turbo after a few mods on a dino. A D has nothing you can do to it and on top of that you will have to rebuild the motor after a few hard passes on a track. That motor is strong but only when it is stock. Think about why the guy would be selling it in the first place, IT IS A D!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've actually NEVER SEEN a car tuned on a ''dino''.. Do you have dino's at your shop?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (BauleyCivic)

If I already had a GSR motor I'd work with what I already had, but that's just me. I currently have a turbo d16 in my hatchback and yeah it pulls pretty damn hard from 3k+. It's hard to believe, but I've never driven a honda/acura with dual cam setup before so I can't make any comparison.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo d, vs stock b18c1 (EK k kay)

i would keep the gsr motor and buy the d and the turbo kit, if you are getting a good deal on it just go turn around and sell the kit and engine i bet you'd make at least 1k and that would get you a pretty good start on a b18c turbo build
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you sure about that?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a 19T Greddy kit. The compressor wheel was damaged when I bought it, so it needed to be ground in order to repair it. Technically, its smaller then a 19T now as a result. On a measly 6psi, it was .2 slower in the 1/4 mile then the built GSR engine was. You can sit there all day long and try to act like turbo D's are slow. I used to beat them with the GSR engine also... You know why? Because most pople slap them on and never tune them. They run like *** and as a result they are slow. Tune them, and they are QUITE fast at relatively low boost levels. 10psi out of a 19T isn't jack. It pulls a lot harder then the GSR engine did, makes more power, would destroy it, and is a LOT cheaper. Sure, boost the GSR engine and you have more power. Thats fine. I didn't do this to be the "top dog". I did it for the cost. Sold the GSR engine, bought the D16Z6, rebuild the Z6, got the turbo kit, and STILL had about 3 grand left over. You have to pay to play anymore. Besides, there is ALWAYS someone out there who is quicker.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GsR92HaTcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GsR92HaTcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not all turbo d's will smash on b series it all depends on how its built and the driver..in my gsr hatch ive takin plety of turbo d's but at the same time have been beat by many...but theres not to many d's out there that can hang with a turbo gsr </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your joking right? With 6psi on my Greddy kit on street tires with a crapp tune I ran quicker then the time in your sig. on top of the fact that I trapped at 98mph also shows that I was putting down more power. Why is this so difficult for people to believe?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

Just because you finished at 98 mph doesn't mean you have more power.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because you finished at 98 mph doesn't mean you have more power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It means I got a hell of a lot more power to the ground at least. I can't believe how much denial I am running into here. Are you people really this close minded? D series MUST be crap because its cheap? Its not possible to have a quick D series? Anyone with a D series is a douche and should seel it for a B series immediately?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It means I got a hell of a lot more power to the ground at least. I can't believe how much denial I am running into here. Are you people really this close minded? D series MUST be crap because its cheap? Its not possible to have a quick D series? Anyone with a D series is a douche and should seel it for a B series immediately?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes
Old 09-05-2006, 12:54 PM

i have a d series and people tell me the same thing, keep it and boost it. i am looking for a new engine so i am still trying to decide what to get, either the d15b or a b16a2.... dont know...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H-Town EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-Town EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a d series and people tell me the same thing, keep it and boost it. i am looking for a new engine so i am still trying to decide what to get, either the d15b or a b16a2.... dont know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok
Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id keep the gsr.. 200 whp with the b7 is about tops.. not to mention rods cost out the ***...
if it were a z6 or a y8 id THINK about it but not for a b7
if he was throwing you cash too then it might be different...

Quick Reply: turbo d, vs stock b18c1