Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tune up time...seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune up time...seafoam?

hi guys, i have a 93 honda civic si that is about to hit the 160k mark... going to give it a tune up this weekend....plugs, wires, oil, valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, coolant, thermostat is stuck open so might change that too, etc..... i was wondering if it would be safe to seafoam considering that i have 160k on car? i did search already and i have heard good and bad, but mostly good stuff. But i was trying to specifically find someone who used this stuff who had around the same miles or more than i do, but couldn't... so if any of you guys used this stuff on a high mileage honda motor, input is greatly appreciated.... thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Re: tune up time...seafoam? (TeGGY_LS)

I USED IT IN MY 95 ACCORD WITH 130K MILES.
MOST WENT IN THE VACUME HOSE, SOME WENT INTO THE ENGINE AND REST WENT TO FUEL TANK.

RAN VERY SIMILAR AS TO BEFORE MAYBE SLIGHTLY BETTER.
SOLD THE CAR AFTER THAT SO I DONT KNOW ABOUT LONG TERM

SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK, NO I AM NOT ANGRY
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tune up time...seafoam? (TeGGY_LS)

Personally haven't used it but why take the risk with such an old motor.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used it, iunno if the person before me used seafoam without telling me because it didn't smoke as bad as i saw it when other people do it, I did 1/3 in crank, gas, and im. I fed it to the IM through the vacuum hose that goes towards the booster. My car smoked alot when it was under hard acceleration.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't put any in the crank case and gas tank, I would just feed it through the IM. And I would change the oil after about 20 miles. You do not want that stuff staying in your oil.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hanmin)

im begining to think not to use it...... thanks guys
Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeGGY_LS)

Well wait... I used it on my 220K motor and had good results. I do not recommend it in the crankcase. However in the gas tank is OK too.

I run it thru the FPR vacuum line.

Some people use just plain old water instead of the Seafoam.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (thesmogman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well wait... I used it on my 220K motor and had good results. I do not recommend it in the crankcase. However in the gas tank is OK too.

I run it thru the FPR vacuum line.

Some people use just plain old water instead of the Seafoam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the goal is to steam it out with water.

I wouldn't bother with either on 160k, I mean putting it in the gas tank doesn't do a whole lot, and if you have cracks in the rings and sludge is the only thing holding them together, then running seafoam will eat the sludge away and you'll have a lot of blow-by and it'll be time to rebuild.

You can try it, though i wouldn't even bother.

Also, it depends a lot on how those miles were obtained. Like was the car driven every day to put those miles on, or did it sit for a year? **** like that matters when you refer to the sludge jammed up in the gaskets holding ur engine together.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

yea, when i bought the car the guy said that it sat in the garage for 2 years. . . with very minimal drving.... very helpful thanks guys.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (TeGGY_LS)

Anyone know if it will hurt the cat??
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4d_POWER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4d_POWER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know if it will hurt the cat??</TD></TR></TABLE>
i used it on my 97 prelude and my cat just happened to die afew months later.. honda replaced it $900 for the part... i would recommend unplugging the cat or something while ur doing it.. but if ur rich feel free
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Default powermax

I did a lot of research on this stuff a while ago. Its almost identical to this Powermax stuff my menchanic swears by. He gets it out of germany. It brought compression up at least a little on all cylinders (some were worse than others to start). Powermax has different products for the gas tank and the oil. They say to only run the engine for 20 mins with the oil additive in. That being said we took it around the block to make sure that it ran under vtec for a min or 2. We ran it through both my honda and his golf with impressive results. As for cleaning the tb and intake manifold out, I like the seafoam spray. I dont like the straight up liquid because I feel I would likely use more than I need to. all these pure petroleum products are the same really, just different delivery systems. imo, they work, and they work well; but maybe too well in some situations. I've had no issues
Old 07-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used it, iunno if the person before me used seafoam without telling me because it didn't smoke as bad as i saw it when other people do it, I did 1/3 in crank, gas, and im. I fed it to the IM through the vacuum hose that goes towards the booster. My car smoked alot when it was under hard acceleration.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't put any in the crank case and gas tank, I would just feed it through the IM. And I would change the oil after about 20 miles. You do not want that stuff staying in your oil.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah it didnt smoke as much as i expected at all. but the oil change really helped