Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trust Honda Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trust Honda Dealership?

I have a 2000 Civic DX and think I may have blown my engine this weekend

I was just driving on the highway at 70 mph at around 3k rpm and then the engine started to shudder and loose power and make a loud, clammering, clickety clackety sound. Then it would not idle when in nuetral unless I kept my foot on the accelerator.

I had it towed to a dealership, and they looked at it today and said that I busted a rod and would need a new engine.

This is just a bit perplexing to me, as I thought that my SOHC didn't have any rods or lifters as it was overhead cam.

I just don't know if i should trust this dealership or not. What do you think?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (pipsisewa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pipsisewa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought that my SOHC didn't have any rods</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL

that sucks, but at least it's a SOHC, you can get those anywhere
Old 03-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes your car has rods, unless its a rotary(which its not.). You motor is shot. And so you will need a new one. obviously you dnt know much about cars, so i would find a junk yard motor, and have some one put it in.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:56 PM
HTBATRACER

a rod is what connects your piston to your crankshaft..all motors have them.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:58 PM

i cant really answer ur questions so sry but i wanted to say DONT EVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP!!!! holy crap they'll bend you over and ream the **** outta you when it comes to $$.. my oppinion would be to say **** you to the dealership and tow the biatch somewhere trust worthy cuz the amount you spend for a tow truck doesnt even compare to the amount the dealership is gonna charge you either way!! ive had seriously $20 problems on my car and i went to a dealership and they told me i needed $800 worth of repairs... yeah try and figure that one out..
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tihul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tihul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a rod is what connects your piston to your crankshaft..all motors have them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
rotarys dnt have them

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (gobblebox59)

btw, how miles did ur beast have ?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pipsisewa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is just a bit perplexing to me, as I thought that my SOHC didn't have any rods or lifters as it was overhead cam.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No offense, but you need to pick up a book and read. Try to find yourself a good engine book at Barnes and Noble or some book store close by you....
Old 03-14-2005, 01:03 PM

personally i wouldnt junk yard a motor even though you can find really good motors for really good prices (sometimes) but with my experience with junk yard motors i wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole lol most of my friends have tried local junkers to get motors and trannys and every single one has blown sooo fast like literally within 2 months of owning them.. but please note this is my personal experience and not dead fact, im not knocking junk yards either so no one get snitty.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (Del Sizzle)

it only had about 60k miles on it.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if it's not a junkyard you're better off finding a used motor online and having the work done by a local mechanic... Dealer will always rape you with part & labor prices.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 PM

yeah, I admit that was a pretty bone head thing for me to say, as Homer Simpson would say "Dohh!!"

I was just about to sell this car too! What would you guys do if you were about to sell the car:

A) Replace engine with a stock DX (D17)?
B) Swap a B16
C) Swap a H22A

Old 03-14-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Put in a working engine of what's in it right now. An h22 would loose you money as well as the b16.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pipsisewa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tihul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a rod is what connects your piston to your crankshaft..all motors have them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure he was saying that his engine doesn't have push rods, not connecting rods... overhead cam engines don't have push rods...

Oh, and yeah, don't let a dealership get ahold of your car... they are bad...
Old 03-14-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (EJ1 wilcox)

thank you!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:28 PM

Put a stock motor back in. A b or h series swap will only cost more, and in the end adds no value to the car to someone who doesnt know anything about Hondas or their motors.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your lucky, i had a DOHC 2000 si motor, and i over reved it. Than my motor started Knockin and it knocked me 2100 bux = / boy was i SAD. Trust me i won't ever do it again.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:10 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (imonx850)

How far back did warranty expire?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership?

Well it should be pretty easy to get a new motor and for a good price but i would trust the dealership if i were you.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (marlonp18)

You can get a full swap D16y8 for like $400 bucks on HT or Ebay. Get a buddy who knows what he's going and have him swap it.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get a full swap D16y8 for like $400 bucks on HT or Ebay. Get a buddy who knows what he's going and have him swap it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where can you find a deal like that, i have been looking for a d16z6 swap, and i can't really find anything under 500.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

the warantee expired a long time ago. It is a 2000 and Hondas warantee is only 36 months or 36,000 miles. I've had the car for about 5 years (60 months) and 60,000 miles.

I think I'll just put a d16y7 stock dx engine in there. I've found one for 200 bucks. It cost me 68 just for honda to confirm that i need a new engine. I asked if they knew that just from listening to it, and they said yeah. I highly doubt that they listened to it for an hour. What a fricken rip-off!!! Its like going to a doctor when you feel sick just for him to confirm, "yep, you are sick alright......that'll be 100 bucks please..."

I think whoever buys my car would have to have an interest in modifications. I've got the standard bolt ons (intake, exhaust, headers, pullies, cam-gear, ignition wires, HD ACT clutch and 9lb fly wheel) and also have ported/polished the throtle bodie, intake manifold and cylinder head. Non-engine mods include Skunk2 coilover +/-4" adjustable springs, Skunk2 rear sway bar, 17"ADR GT-Sport Hyper Silver aloy wheels wrapped in Nitto 555R Extreeme rubber, Tsunami front bumper cover, APC projector headlights, APC CF vented hood, Civic Si gauge cluster with adjustable indiglo gauge faces (white). So anyway, the point of that was to say that my car is hardley anything close to stock. It was running 16 sec. in the quarter before this happened. I think that is respectable for a DX (car that came with 106 h.p. out of the box).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone. It is good to get the opinions of many.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pipsisewa)

Not to be a bastard or anything, but the kind of people who buy cars with those kinds of modifications usually don't know too much about the engines. All of that money invested to still run a 16? No thanks.

Your car is quite a bit closer to stock than most rides on here, as most of the work is cosmetic and can be returned to 100% bone stock in less than a day.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 AM

Dude they wouldn't lie about something that serious your rods connect the pistons to the crankshaft. So yes you do have rods, actually you have 4 of them. The all mighty D series does blow up from time to time, I've done one on a 96 civic EX. It happens but good luck man.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Trust Honda Dealership? (Bcuz)

I know that I have connecting rods, thanks for reiterating what 10 people here have already said. When the dealership told me that it was a busted rod, I thought they were trying to tell me that I had bent up a pushrod, which OHC engines don't have, or atleast mine doesn't. I guess I just assumed that the connecting rod was stronger then what it has turned out to be....lesson learned.

I'm going to find a replacement D16Y7 engine and use my ported head, cam, cam-gear, etc (any performance mod that was already done). That is asuming that there was no damage done to the head, which is possible. I've found these engines on e-bay for anywhere from 200-500 bucks, so compared to the 3,200 dollar engine that I have to buy for my FD, that is nothing.

Quick Reply: Trust Honda Dealership?