Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked...

Okay, problem is my stupid damn tail light, well the back up light that is that's not working..yeah I freaken checked everything from the fuses to the bulb and any thing else I'm missing here let me know...but yeah I've checked...even make sure the fuses aren't broken by testing them and throwing in new ones to see if it work and nope...even had the bulb tested it to see if it lights up and yeah it 's not the bulb either...also the ABS fuse in the hand book, that's the only place I didn't know where to check...how would I do that? Where's it at to open it and etc. cuz maybe that might be where the problem is, the fuse in there? Well anyways any help is greatly appreciated, cuz this little stupid thing is starting to get to me, thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked... (JDMegCoupe)

oh yeah this is for a 95 coupe if that helps...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked... (JDMegCoupe)

check the reverse switch on your tranny, put it in reverse and see if you get a signal, I think its ground switched, so when you go into reverse, it should have continuity to ground
Old 05-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked... (dema12co)

Well basically so far I've tried everything, but the ABS fuse thingy which I don't know where and how..but other than that yeah I tired the new fuses/bulb and have it in reverse it's still not working....I'm thinking it is something within my gears though but don't know how to get to it like I said if it's the ABS fuses thing...a friend of mine have a 91 hatch and same problem he had no luck just told me good luck on it and if I figure it out let him know..but yeah any help to get it working back is greatly appreciated thanks....
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else can help with this probalem?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

auto or manual trans?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

duh forgots that...well it's a manual...I

mean i tried everything just about, but the ABS thing unless that's not it...any help to get it back working like I said would be great!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude its the backup switch on your tranny. Another guy already mentioned it.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ianae86)

duh I know what he said but how's that to help I'm trying to do it myself to fix it...how would I fix it is the question! I put it in reverse and nothing after the fuse/bulbs...but like you said if the guy mention already how and I going to go about doing it to fix if it's my tranny lol! " it's your tranny " that really helps
Old 05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never done it myself but if you pull of your center console there should be something connected to your shifter I would assume. Sorry if this doesn't help. I would recommend investing in a repair manual though. It can save alot of time with little stuff like this.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ianae86)

it's cool if you can't help..but this is starting to get to me...before on my 93 civic i've tired taking the console out but have no luck...can't get the console that is is in tach with the shift booth out didn't know the other nails holding the console...order a "Haynes" book when I owned the 93 and I think it sucks *** mostly more of a re-build of engine mostly and everything else didn't have good explaination of doing it yourself. thanks though...anyone else can help?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone help? I want to fix this damn problem and get it over with bugs me don't want no one running into me when I back up at night...cars too clean to have it f** up and be wasted got plans for it....
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: (JDMegCoupe)

You could have a faulty socket for the bulb. Maybe the little tab that makes contact to the bottum of the bulb is bent and not making contact.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMegCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's cool if you can't help..but this is starting to get to me...before on my 93 civic i've tired taking the console out but have no luck...can't get the console that is is in tach with the shift booth out didn't know the other nails holding the console...order a "Haynes" book when I owned the 93 and I think it sucks *** mostly more of a re-build of engine mostly and everything else didn't have good explaination of doing it yourself. thanks though...anyone else can help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Buy a Helms Manual, well worth the money and it gives you EVERY spec you could want. The reverse switch is on the tranny somewhere, check the passenger side towards the top, you'll see wires going in the cab. You need to have a multimeter to be able to test it, so put it in reverse and see if the wire is continuous to ground. If you don't know what "continuous to ground" means, then take it to a shop
Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dema12co)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dema12co &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Buy a Helms Manual, well worth the money and it gives you EVERY spec you could want. The reverse switch is on the tranny somewhere, check the passenger side towards the top, you'll see wires going in the cab. You need to have a multimeter to be able to test it, so put it in reverse and see if the wire is continuous to ground. If you don't know what "continuous to ground" means, then take it to a shop</TD></TR></TABLE>
couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Buy a Helms Manual...If you don't know what "continuous to ground" means, then take it to a shop" **** I better figure out what it mean don't really want to takle it to the shop/dealer...mothers f-ers charge me up the *** just to have it check for $90+ and then fix it for a total of freaken $170+ plus? Last time I freaken went to ask..

The "Helms Manual" is there a site where I could order that and does it really help as far as good explaination of how to? Not the crap like the Hynes? crap I got that says "unscrew the nail and pop it out" "reverse is the same" type of crap don't help when you're trying to figure out which nail they're talking about especially doing it the first time yourself. thanks and see if you know where I could order up that Helms Manual even for future use....thanks....
Old 05-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92 si hatch)

What if it works before and now it doesn't, does it mean it's still faulty? Cuz before it work but see what happen was a freaken plate screw broke off and so couldn't get it out and in order to I drilled it to put new screws for my plate and so after that it just never work so what would it be? Or is it just the tab that went faulty?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well still waiting for the reply..but umm yeah the site to the Helms Manual will do me good in the future but anyone else? help?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMegCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if it works before and now it doesn't, does it mean it's still faulty? Cuz before it work but see what happen was a freaken plate screw broke off and so couldn't get it out and in order to I drilled it to put new screws for my plate and so after that it just never work so what would it be? Or is it just the tab that went faulty?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what plate? dude take it to a shop, it won't be expensive, take it to Honda and say I think my reverse switch is fuxed, and it'll be like $150
Old 05-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMegCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well still waiting for the reply..but umm yeah the site to the Helms Manual will do me good in the future but anyone else? help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.helminc.com/helm/pr...87555
Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's Item # 6 in the list on the page below, and you'll need the washer item # 12 as well, so you can order one if you want to take it in with you to Honda, since you definately should not do it yourself.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...USING
Old 05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did I mention the price those freakers will charge $170+ just to check it then fix it just for my freaken back up lights to work again? IS it worth it..what do you think, I want to know ...if it's the last choice then I'll take it to them otherwise heck nawh could use the bread on somethin' else for the ride the stockness is starting to get to me...but i'll check up on the site(s)...thanks yo...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where are you at man? from your sig it looks like milwaukee.
I'm in the northern burbs of chicago. I could help you out if you're willing to drive.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

oh yeah that be kool..but damn only thing is I barely have time I only work now so 24/7 bro got to get that money ...damn this sucks azz for me..anyways wouldn't be able to find the time but thanks..I got a guy who went to the UTI college thingy down there that I've yet to call up maybe he can help, see if he's back or not last time i checked he was going into electrical I believe..well maybe I should call a ***** up..but thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh is there any oyther place I can get this book besides ordering? like the dealer or maybe local wise? j/w..thanks..

Quick Reply: tricky tail light problem...yeah, I checked...