Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leak

This started a couple days ago. It's coming from the... flywheel cover from what I've read? It smell's like it would be the transmission fluid, but I'm not certain. Any help is appreciated!

It's all coming out of here

Again, any help is appreciated.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Transmission Leak

yah need a new gasket.o.d moneyy!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What gasket, bud?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmistoomuch
yah need a new gasket.o.d moneyy!!!!
yeah, there's no gasket...

OP: are you sure this is trans fluid? keep in mind the rear main seal will leak in the same spot. those are more likely to leak than a trans input shaft seal or the like.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not entirely sure. I read that the tranny fluid looks very similar to the motor oil. But I think it's the rear main because when I idle it then rev it over 4k and shut it off (not moving) it starts to come out, so I highly doubt that the tranny would have anything to do with that.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the transmission usually leaks from the axle seals or a damaged drain plug washer...

unfortunately the trans has to come off whether it were trans fluid or the rear main leaking. should only be a $15-20 seal though, so if you can do it yourself you can save a heap on labor.

get that thing on soon, by your description i'd say it's leaking pretty badly!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not leaking profusely yet, it just lets out about 1-2 drops after idling for 10 minutes and revving for about 2.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone varify what this is? I drove it for 30 miles and my oil level is still where it was, so I'm guessing it's transmission fluid. Any insight on this?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seems to be your rear main seal... its a easy fix once you have the tranny flywheel and clutch off. its located right at the crankshaft behind the flywheel.. when it leaks it goes into the transmission clutch housing section and that is where it seems to look like you have a transmission leak.. also when you have the transmission off check your tranny for cracks just in case
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its your seal were your axle is put in i had the same problem check it out
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a similar leak, but my liquid is thick and clear mostly, i think its gear fluid, how would i check if i need more gear fluid on a d16z6 block?
<--- new to tuning. -=/
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rear main?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Schuitt, there should be info about how to check the level in the owner's manual.

I'm still assuming its the rear main, but like I said, my oil level hasn't moved at all.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rear main seal is located behind the flywheel... the flywheel goes connected to your clutch and thats on the side of the crankshaft between the engine and the transmission.. change your rear main seal and also since the seals for your transmission!!!!!! make sure you put in the seals in nice and slow
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any estimates on how much a shop would charge to take care of this? I feel like there are to many variables on which seal it is so I'll just have someone else fix it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yikesssssssss no offense man but you gotta be crazy.. they are gonna charge you a job that it cost to replace a clutch and flywheel then add like another 50 bucks to it so your gonna be looking at around 300 JUST FOR THE LABOR when all the seals are going to cost you less than 40 if you know the model and year of the engine and transmission you can just go to the auto part store and get the seals it seems harder than it sounds but its actually the mission of taking all the parts off.. my suggestion will be to make it easier just take out the engine so you have all the space that you need and it will only take you a few hours without the air compression tools.. if you have those tools youll be looking at a 2 hour job
Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it's an expensive job, but I want to be sure it's done right and the problem really is the rear main seal instead of one of the transmission seals. Also, from what boosting said, I had one of my CV boots replaced when I bought the car and the leak started happening right after that. Could that be the problem?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that most likey indicates the issue but the most you can do first just change that seal on the cv joint side that was changed... the mission of these tranny jobs is taking off the wheel to get to the cv joint and get it out of place!!! which i hate doing transmission jobs because of my lower back but change that seal its not hard to do at all.. ive done them a few times if it still leaks then replace what i told you..
Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a couple more pics. I don't get why the CV joint is covered in fluid unless it's that seal that's bad. But then that doesn't explain why the fluid moved forward. Any help is appreciated!

Here's the CV joint that was just replaced.

Pics of the flywheel cover. The fluid likes to gather around that area.

Color of the fluid.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it can be 1 seal from the cv joint or it can be the rear main like said above. overall its not hard at all to change the seals for the transmission and the rear main seal change is also easy. if you want to spend 300 on a mechanic to change it in 2 hours then go spend the 300 but thats 300 in labor itself.... just change all 3 seals yourself and youll be glad in the end that you changed all your seals yourself and spent less than 20 bucks

oh and by the way... just because a mechanic worked on the car doesnt mean THEY DID A GREAT JOB the best jobs done are the jobs done by a person that spends the time doing it and doing it to make sure its done right... which in this case mechanics love to over price honda parts so you should be the one changing the seals...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM
pm4nudes

had both my axle seals changed for $100($70 labor) took an 2hrs good as new.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i tell you what, in that last pic that fluid looks too clean to be engine oil. the trans seal is a bigger job. same procedure as doing the rear main until you get to the last two parts (clutch and flywheel) then instead you almost completely disassemble the transmission...
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok what you need to do is clean everything off with carb clean or something of that nature to get rid of all the oil. drive it or a lil bit and then check it out. always start your inspection high b/c fluid always runs down. if its coming from that black plate you keep on taking a picture of it could possibly be you rear main seal. you need to remove that plate and get a flash light and look up the block between the flywheel and the block and see if it is wet there. if it is there you go, rear main. If its around the axels you need to grab the axel and move it up and down to see if the other axel moves. if the other axel moves then your carrier bearing is bad and it will leak no matter how many axel seals you put in and you will need to rebuild your trans. if no movement its just the axel seal.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Thanks for the advice, I did that a couple weeks ago. Turns out it was the rear main seal, transmission seal, and driver side axle seal. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak