Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission issues (isb, and maybe more) advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Transmission issues (isb, and maybe more) advice.

Before you flame and link me to 20 sticky posts, I have read them and am asking for advice on an issue.

I have a 98 civic EX coupe. The transmission is making noises consistent with the mainshaft bearing being worn out (i.e. grinding noise when under load in gear with no gas, but stops when clutch is pushed in). Simple enough to replace, and I don't really have an issue cracking it open to replace, but there is more going on that I'm not sure can be attributed the the bearing.

So aside from said noise, it doesn't really like going into third gear - in that it grinds about 50% of the time. I'm not sure if this has to do with the syncros or if this another symptom of the mainshaft. The other issue is that fourth gear will not want to go in sometimes, it will, but only after three times. No other number, exactly three times... no matter how hard you push, tries one and two will not work at all, but again, this is only about 50% of the time.

So here is my real question: are the other two transmission issues typical mainshaft bearing issues? If they are, then I will unhesitatingly pop it open and swap that thing out, and change the clutch while I'm at it. But if they are indicative of other issues, then I might just want to get another transmission. So given the circumstances should I get a new (used?) transmission? Have it rebuilt? Or just change the mainshaft bearing?

If I should get a new one, where is the best place to purchase a new transmission (other than craigslist, nobody has them around here).

Thanks for your understanding, and please provide educated insightful responses... I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm confident this particular issue hasn't been.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission issues (isb, and maybe more) advice.

Nothing? No ideas of the bearing and gear grinding are related? Should I get a new transmission, or try to fix my current one? just trying to get some input before I throw money at it.