Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched

hi there, i have a d16z6 motor and tranny in a 2dr DX 93 coupe. recently changed out the input shaft bearing and the countershaft bearing. before i put the tranny case on, i checked all gears adn made sure everything worked. did the same with the case on before mounting the tranny on the car. the clutch only has 2000 miles on it, so i did not change that. i changed the the throw out bearing when the clutch was changed. anyways, before i changed out the input shaft bearing and the countershaft snap ring bearing, everything was working perfectly, shifts were smooth with no grinds etc. well, except for the bearing noise.

once i mounted the tranny back on the car and put tranny fluid in it(did this with the car jacked up on jsck stands, so i hope that is the problem, low tranny fluid, just was in a rush to finish the car....so dont bust my ***** on that one) will check the fluid in the am ......

i can shift into gears no problem with the car on.

now with the car on, i can shift into gears 1,2,3 & rev) except into 4th, i didnt get fast enough or even wanted to shift into 5th because once i heard the 4th gear grind and wouldnt go in, i just parked the car.

so right now, it doesnt shift into 4th gear. I can put it in4th gear, but it grinds and pops out and just revs.

again, it shifts fine with the car off. could it be shift stabalizer or shift rod problem? i will check all mounts and other misc stuff in the am when there is light out.

but any input would help much!!! thanks in advance!

hopefully its just low on tranny fluid
Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (jhiz)

I mostly work on domestic tranny's so bare with me.

Did you get the bearings from Honda? Or a remanufacture? If I am correct, 4th gear is on the the input shaft. If your bearing was put in incorrectly, the input shaft might have a little play in it. Pull and push on the input shaft and see if it moves in and out even the slightest bit. On some of the tranny's I rebuild, if there is any play in the input shaft and I put it on the dyno, 4th gear will grind or pop out of 4th. But thats only with the input shafts that have 4th gear on it.

Hopefully someone can help you out on this. Just throwing a theory out for ya to ponder on.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (Sixgundone)

i got the bearings from honda. i will probably take out the tranny today and check it out. thanks on that

anybody have anymore input on this issue? thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (jhiz)

please help thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 10:51 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you have the countershaft locked in before installing the interlock guide bolt?

If not you will been the "shift arm A" and will be looked out of 4th gear, sometimes only have 3rd gear. Bauley, a former moderator hear did exactly that after I warned him.

His pic which I saved to my webspace.........

in his pic it is flipped 180 degrees to get a good pic.........

here it is before dropping in the shafts..........

Old 09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (Mista Bone)

i am almost positive that i positioned the guide bolt underneath. no when you mean "did you have the countershaft locked in before I put the guide bolt", do you mean if i had the countershaft in neutral??? can you please elaborate?

i think i may have found the problem. there was a bearing that was questionable on the main shaft( i know i know, anything quesionable should have been changed). the bearing is on the opposite end of the input shaft bearing. its the bearing that sits inthe bell housing. the ***** had play in it and i can move the inner part somewhat. i think that little play could be making it not go into 4th gear.

would you think this could cause it? thanks for your replay mista bone! please let me know on what you mean about the countershaft locked in?? thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mainshaft outer bearing will have play, even a brand new one...........

http://www.bettendorf.com/~mrbone/pi...g%20wobble.mov

The countershaft lock ring MUST be in the groove (countershaft locked in place) before the interlock guide bolt can be inserted. The interlock guide bolt is THE LAST bolt to be installed.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (Mista Bone)

i think thats it, the coutershaft lock ring. where is that??????? please post, i am removing tranny as we speak. thanks!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found the problem. i just dropped the tranny. wiggle the input shaft a little, no budge, but when i yanked on it up and down, then it would slide about a little than less than half an inch up and down. i know there is supposed to be no play in the input shaft. i cracked it open, and low and behold, the bearing(the one at the other end of the input shaft bearing was seperated. any more driving and it would have grenaded the tranny to hell. everything else looks good. good thing on the way home from work, i stopped by honda and bought an extra bearing since I kinda knew that was the cause of the problem.

lesson learned!

"any doubt in your mind, replace it. it will save you the trouble, and using more money and wasting honda bond" lol

i will put everything back together and will update when im done.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:53 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhiz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> any more driving and it would have grenaded the tranny to hell. everything else looks good. good thing on the way home from work, i stopped by honda and bought an extra bearing since I kinda knew that was the cause of the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol good ****, glad to hear you found it
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol good ****, glad to hear you found it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, good to hear you have it figured out.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission GURUS, need your help. No 4th gear, already searched (Sixgundone)

ok yall, just finished putting everything back togehter. tranny is on the car. had to wait a good hour and a half for the honda bond to cure. just a thin layer.

anyhow, car is smooth as silk!!!! no grinds, and especially no bearing noise!!!! woooo hoooo!!!!

just a side note: the mainshaft bearing should go on with the wording facing against the bell housing. if you put it in wrong(like i did), then the snap ring behind it will shred the plastic cage. thats what happened. again, thanks for everyones help. im going to have a beer and sleep...my lower back is killing me. i had to bench press the tranny all by my lonesome .

if anyone has any questions, just im me. peace