Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission fluid leak question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid leak question

motor is b18c1 into 93 civic.

So I notice that theres thick grayish color grease all over the axle, firewall, black canister area and that it now slightly leaks transmission fluid. I check the boot to see if it was ripped at all, and it wasnt. Question is, did the axle just slightly pop out or do i need to replace the axle seal? i dont have time to check until next weekend cause i need my car to drive to work the whole week. Also I just had the swap done and it was clean before with no leaking or grease all over. Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: transmission fluid leak question (Digithalgravel)

Well the trans fluid isn't grey i think, but when you look under see if its coming out at the axle seal if so, replace that and go from there is my opinion.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission fluid leak question (z6hatchboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the trans fluid isn't grey i think, but when you look under see if its coming out at the axle seal if so, replace that and go from there is my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah im pretty sure its coming out at the axle seal. because i can see it, and it drips on the floor, But the gray grease i think is from the axle. Thats why i was thinking the axle just slightly popped out. if it was just the seal wouldnt it just leak fluid and not have the grease all over?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct, i just havnt really seen them pop-out and go back in by themself, my friends went out and stayed until he put it back, lol. If your boots are good though thats probably the problem.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct, i just havnt really seen them pop-out and go back in by themself, my friends went out and stayed until he put it back, lol. If your boots are good though thats probably the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I was thinking it just came out alittle. I noticed that theres about 1/8 in gap between the axle and the transmission. Is it suppose to be flush? Ill probably just check it tomorow and see if the axle goes in more and see if that solves it, thanks alot
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not real sure about the gap, just look at the other thats not leaking and check it gap. No prob. Good luck
Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u talking about the seal on the driver side where the halfshaft goes into the tranny or the pass side. either way it should be close to flush with no play on it when u pull or push. you can either replace the seal if its pinched, or if its the axle coming out u can expand the c-clip at the end of the splines so it holds.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission fluid leak question (screen_name)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screen_name &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u talking about the seal on the driver side where the halfshaft goes into the tranny or the pass side. either way it should be close to flush with no play on it when u pull or push. you can either replace the seal if its pinched, or if its the axle coming out u can expand the c-clip at the end of the splines so it holds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its the passengers side. ill have to get at it this weekend. Im hoping its just the axle seal thats causing it to leak. Update though, double checked boot was slightly ripped causing all the grease
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace axle seal today, leak is gone
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Digithalgravel)

hey i have THE SAMEE problem!! it look almost dark milkyish? and its sprayed all over the firewall??? yea thats me! and i jsut got my swap done too! i looked at the boot, no sign of a rip but i will look closer...where is the axle seal?? more towards the tranny or the wheel?