Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission/Engine? Always happens to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/Engine? Always happens to me

What is the problem with my car? I have a 95 EX. Seems that everytime the car gets warm the gears feel like they are slipping. Well, I mean when I shift (Usually have to shift at 4 to get the engine to catch up) the engine doesn't feel very strong, it kind of lags, almost sounds like the engine is try to catch the gear (only way to describe it). I'm thinking my tranny sucks, everytime I downshift to slow down in 3rd, it kind of lets out a slow chirp. A good way to explain what it feels like is that my engine/tranny has just turned to sludge. No real power, shifting doesn't feel tight, feels rounded off and weak. I mean, with all my friends' EX's who have higher mileage than me haven't had any problems and their D16's pull with strength every gear, mine doesn't really...

I don't know, some slow input on the matter would really kick ***
Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission/Engine? Always happens to me (Metalluthier)

Sounds like a bad clutch. Put the car in 1st gear stand on the brakes and try to pull out (let the cutch out while giving it gas). If the car does not stall but starts to rev then the clutch is bad . Warning this might toast what little is left of the clutch if it is bad. you are loking around $250 in parts plus labor
Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 AM

well it definately sounds like it in the tranny.. but is it 5-speed or auto?! but i can kinda give ya clue on each... a 5speed honda tranny requires a drain and refill every 15000 miles.. well thats what i do.. and if its never been chaged then its going to start sludging up... that or the clutch is giving out... btu on an auto.. ever gear has a set of clutch packs... and if its been beat on and abused... then those tend to wear out... or a bad valve body, sticking shift sylenoids but more info on the tranny type would be helpful
Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission/Engine? Always happens to me (birds_sol_94)

Yea it's a 5-Speed. I was thinking about getting the tranny drained and re-filled. or just doing it myself. But the clutch isn't the greatest, but it's not failing. I know the cars history to, I bought it from my aunt who bought it brand new, and she never railed on it. Yea, I'll look into cleaning up the tranny...

Tsuneo Imahori - Trigun: The First Dounuts (1998) - 15 - Stories to Tell.mp3 [128Kbps] (02:34)
Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM

well alson there are bearings in there they could be giving out... or your synchros are going out.. but i doubt that the synchros are the problem...
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM

I am 90% sure its your bearings/trans fluid. Birds sol, thats a bad idea. lol.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Default Re: (gworthyunit)

whats a bad idea?????
Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 AM

its prob your clutch or clutch fluid
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prison_snitch)

Well I changed my tranny fluid today, slight difference, but I didn't really have time to zip around and wait for it to get warm. I'd really like to rebuild my tranny, and my head, probably fix everything right up there...

You'd have to drive my car, it lacks total power. My friend has a DX and he pretty much keeps up with me really well, and I'm better at gears than he is. Probably sinc it up for ya, haha....pretty crappy!

Tsuneo Imahori - Trigun: The First Dounuts (1998) - 7 - Philosophy in a Tea Cup.mp3 [128Kbps] (04:37)
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: (Metalluthier)

well if you think that you might have sludge build up in the motor... before you get to deep into rebuilding stuff.. id take the valve cover off first.. check see if theres any build up in there ... and take the oil pan off and check in the pan.. just to make sure.. !!! but buy the time you pay for a rebuild on a tranny and head.. your could have put another d-series motor and tranny in for that price.. actually you could prolly buy two or three for the price of a tranny rebuild haha... trust me ive looked into a tranny rebuild the parts alone are really expensive.. but i was going with carbon coated syncros and all the nice race **** haha.. but id check for sludge build up if thats what your thinking the problem is..!! just to be sure
Old 07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's either your clutch or something simple air/fuel/ignition related.

i bet that it's the clutch
Old 07-10-2006, 05:29 PM

Brake+Clutch. If you can't tell that your clutch is going, you should be driving an autotragic.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gworthyunit)

I can tell it's not my clutch, I know what a bad clutch is like. But, after driving around for awhile now my tranny seems to be grinding gears more than it ever has, I even filled the damn thing until oil came out the hole (which is standard) but, if I were to just pay for a whole new engine I'd just scrap D-Series and go B. Just build a B18C5 from scratch. I'm thinking there is something wrong with my VTEC as well, I don't feel it at all, never have actually. Sometimes I just wonder if Honda got my car confused with a D16Y. Perhaps I have a VTEC head with no VTEC? This car has some minor troubles that I'm not too good with pinpointing, because all the problems are things which have a million different diagnosis possibilities. I appriceate the help though guys, really!

Edgey - DEMOS (1999) - 00 - Clicker.mp3 [128Kbps] (04:45)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM

so u have a b-series... i thought you had a d-series i didnt know that... let me look into slugish power in a b-series ill get back to you on that
Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (birds_sol_94)

No dude, I do have a D16Z6, I was just saying that if I were going to buy a new engine I would just put the money towards a B18 build up.

Oh yea, one question, when filling tranny oil, should I really let the oil drain out the fill plug until it gets level under the plug hole? Or just screw the damn thing on when it's gushing? Pretty sure I don't want a bunch of oil in there and ruin my tranny, just a minor question

Unison Feat Filteria - Explorer (2005) - - The Phases.mp3 [211Kbps] (08:02)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 AM

when filling the tranny you just want it to barely start coming out... !!! and what grade oil did you use!? you know hondas use like 10w-30 motor oil... or go to honda and get there manual tranny fluid
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ehh, 10W30 won't protect very well, I'm using 80W90 Valvoline Gear Oil, was going to use 70W90 Synthetic Redline, but decided to use Petroleum

Unison Feat Filteria - Explorer (2005) - - The Phases.mp3 [211Kbps] (08:02)

Modified by Metalluthier at 8:39 AM 7/11/2006
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM

take that out.. haha... youll definately expletive up your tranny... go get some 10-w30... or go to honda and get their tranny fluid... that ***** to thick for honda... i did that.. i puit 70-90 in my tranny just for dier need that i couldnt get anything else at the time... and now my gears grind like a **** ...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea....I don't need a GL or MT, I've got some 10W30, I'm just going to drain the damn thing again and re-fill it, uggh, such a bitch. And I'm going to inspect my springs and valves, see about adjusting them

Strider Vs B.L.C - Explorer (2005) - - Confidential.mp3 [217Kbps] (08:22)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 AM

haha yea... 80 wieghts to much... way to much... do a small tune up on it .. if havent alrdy done so...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, tune up as in what? Just valves......etc.

I changed my oil when I changed the tranny, not like it's really going to fix anything, already put new spark plugs in it, new O2 sensor (stock burned out), could probably use a new timing belt

Predators - Explorer (2005) - - Serious Sound.mp3 [205Kbps] (07:50)

Modified by Metalluthier at 11:30 AM 7/11/2006
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 AM

well not just pluggs and a oil change... new distributor cap and rotor button .. plug wires... drain and fill tranny which i know ur doing that haha... umm.. air filter... coolant drand and refill just simple **** like that... but i wouldnt go to far into it... id figure out the problem first then go a lil deep into a tune-up...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really need to do all that, I mean, when I got the car I already put a CAI on, stock filter was clean before I took it off, I already flushed and refilled the radiator the day I got it, changed the oil, new plugs, ran about three bottles of injector cleaner through it (not all at once, of course, haha), new O2 sensor and header (Broke the old one off inside the stock manifold), just now got finished draining the 80W90 gear oil and replaced it with Valvoline 10W30 (had it laying around the garage). I might look into new wires, but I doubt it's even close to manditory. Dizzy seems fine. I'm just debating on whether or not to take the valve cover off, I've never done it on any of my cars, just my friends and the last time we did two bolts snapped. So, I'm a little uneasy about f**king myself over like that. I already tried, gave it a little pressure and it seems like the bolts are bending, horrible grade
Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 AM

haha well honda was smart on making the valve cover bolts... if you do sanp them you can just take the cover off and there where they bolt on to is nut with the threads for the valve cover bolts.. you just simply take them off and put new ones on... but those dont tighten to hard then youll break those but they should come off easily they shouldnt be on that tight...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I know that, but it was expensive getting those bolts from Honda. But, I'm pretty sure I could have stolen some off some engine at the junkyard anyways

Quick Reply: Transmission/Engine? Always happens to me