Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny making noise???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny making noise???

I have a 99 civic with a GSR swap. When the car is on and my foot is off the clutch pedal there is a wierd noise coming from the tranny, When I put my foot on the clutch the noise stops. My dad says its the throw out bearing. I was wondering what will happen if I dont replace it? If I have to replace it how hard will it be to replace?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (dawrenn)

it could be the input shaft bearing

check the faq on this forum for more info about it
Old 08-17-2005, 05:14 PM
95DxSi-R2

it's not your throwout bearing, if it was, the noise would be there on disengagement of the clutch. input bearing or internal, or pressure plate/clutch
Old 08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

either way it'll be easy once you get the tranny off.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not your throwout bearing, if it was, the noise would be there on disengagement of the clutch. input bearing or internal, or pressure plate/clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

The clutch and pressure plate are brand new. I jsut went out to my car and it does make that sound on disengagment of the clutch.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
95DxSi-R2

bad throwout bearing, did u put a new one on when replacing clutch?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same issue i think it the throw out bearing a couple of my friends said that you need to gease it before installing. which i did not install. i been driving like this for about 1 to 2 months now. i really dont know what will happen if i dont replace it. but i am going to replace it some time soon.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad throwout bearing, did u put a new one on when replacing clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the shop that did my swap put it in. Kinda long story. I bought a complete swap from http://www.importautosalvage.com well when the shop is finally done with my car and I get it back I have trouble getting it into gears. I take it back to the shop and they say its an internal tranny problem. So IAS sends out another tranny, I try to get them pay for the labor since it was there fault. They cant so they said they would give me a new OE spec clutch kit. Which he said it came with a clutch, pressure plage and throw out bearing. I get the car back along with the old clutch from the new tranny they sent me. I look in the box the new clutch kit came in and all I see is a clutch and pressure plate, no throw out bearing. So I dont know if they put the new one in or not. Either way they should have gave me the old/new throw out bearing.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would recommend you opening up your tranny and inspect it your self. if you dont have a throw out bearing or an old one is still in there. that could be a problem
Old 08-17-2005, 06:13 PM
95DxSi-R2

sounds like your getting fu#ked around, i doubt they put a new one in since you don't have your old one
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (JDMFreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would recommend you opening up your tranny and inspect it your self. if you have no throw out bearing or an old one that could be a problem soon</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am going to drop the tranny this weekend and replace the throw out bearing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like your getting fu#ked around, i doubt they put a new one in since you don't have your old one</TD></TR></TABLE>

I should just call them up tomorrow and ask them.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 PM

Bump, anyone else?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Trial User

im having similar issues. when my clutch is engaged it doesnt make any noise. as soon as i take my foot off the pedal, it kinda makes a grinding noise. pop your hood, grab a pry bar, and stick it on your transmission, then put the handle to your ear. if you can hear it grinding inside your transmission you might as well tear out the trans and rebuild the whole thing.

i thought i was having a throwout bearing issue so i pulled my trans and looked at it, while it was out i put a new clutch/pressure plate/fly wheel/throw out bearing in and the noise didnt sound like a meat grinder, but more like a grinding metal sound. so then i drained all my trans fluid. put in all new fluid and it got a little more quiet. after i broke in my clutch and drove it hard a few times the grinding came back.

now im having a hard time getting in and out of 1st and 2nd and 4th slips out when im at freeway speeds accelerating. diagnosis: transmission sucks a fat p.p.

get a new throw out bearing.
if it doesnt get any better, rebuild your trans.
you might wanna rebuild it anyway...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (ROK801)

i dont think he need to rebuild one he mention:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So IAS sends out another tranny, I try to get them pay for the labor since it was there fault.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so if IAS sent him out another tranny hopefully it a good tranny. like i said i think it the throw out bearing. heheh good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (JDMFreak)

If it's a chattering noise I think it's the input shaft bearing. I have that problem and will be replacing the bearing next week.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (wadup)

why don't people get full clutch kits? Most kits come with all bearings... A kit for my old EF was 110 shipped off ebay (exedy) and it came with all bearings...
Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (wadup)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's a chattering noise I think it's the input shaft bearing. I have that problem and will be replacing the bearing next week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It not a chattering noise.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Trial User

is it slipping out of gear at all?

Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the main bearing in the tranny , i have that same problem. I took my car to tranny guy and he also came to diagnose it as the main bearing.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tranny making noise??? (underb00steg6)

Anyone find that input shaft bearing replacement faq? I can't find it because im retarted.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, but its for a D-Series... im sure basically the same idea.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

Modified by JDM_Ej at 2:52 AM 8/19/2005
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be your throw-out, because with my D series i had the same problem, and it just sounded like that forever, just replace yer throw out ?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: (shatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be your throw-out, because with my D series i had the same problem, and it just sounded like that forever, just replace yer throw out ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am pretty sure its the throwout bearing,
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dawrenn)

If the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is down, but is present when the clutch pedal is up then I would think it was the imput shaft bearing. With the clutch pedal down the input shaft stops spinning so any noise it would make would go away. Just something to think about.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is down, but is present when the clutch pedal is up then I would think it was the imput shaft bearing. With the clutch pedal down the input shaft stops spinning so any noise it would make would go away. Just something to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My dad said if it was the input shaft bearing then the sound would happen all the time.

He is close enough to being a certified mechanic.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dawrenn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My dad said if it was the input shaft bearing then the sound would happen all the time.

He is close enough to being a certified mechanic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said, from personal research, the input shaft is always spinning until you disengage the clutch.

Search "throwout bearing" or "input shaft bearing" and 95% of the time when there is noise with the clutch engaged and goes away when the clutch is disengaged it's the input shaft bearing.

Quick Reply: Tranny making noise???