Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny case

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny case

well i ordered a tranny for my d16z6 motor from a member here on H-T and received it the other day and. its in good looking shape a lil dirty nothing to much. i looked over it today and there is a gaping hole in the case of it . so my ? is could i just take my case off of my old tranny and put it on the new tranny? or is there more to it than that?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny case (sohctodohc)

cmon i know someone can help me here
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cmon i need an answer ASAP
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which side is it? There should be the 2 halves, not sure what they're called but the one closest to the engine and the one that would be on the passenger side when installed on the car.

Is your old tranny from a z6 as well?

If it's the side closest to the passenger side, then it's easy to pop it off and throw another one on, assuming it's a case from a compatible tranny. If it's the side closest to the engine then it's not so easy, you have to remove all the gears, etc.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny case (******)

it is the sid that sticks out if u had the tranny in the car bolted on it would be to the left of the clutch(if you was in front of the car looking at it) im not in a good mood bout this right now hopefully this will be good news.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You can replace that part easy. Just as long as the other case is from a D-series it will fit fine. All you need is a 12mm wrench/ratchet, snap ring plyers, and a tube of sealant to seal the new case on.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny case (SOHC4life 96)

awesome
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can replace that part easy. Just as long as the other case is from a D-series it will fit fine. All you need is a 12mm wrench/ratchet, snap ring plyers, and a tube of sealant to seal the new case on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are all D-Series cases interchangeable? I thought some had different size bearings in the end, thus not allowing ENTIRE interchangeability between all of them?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:16 AM

All D-series cases are NOT the same. On the outside they look the same and bolt to the motors the same but Internally they take different bearings for the differental, unput shaft and thats all I can verify 100% but why would anything else be different so assume all the bearings are different.

Theres two different cases the:
P20-A000 - Dx/Cx/Lx
P20-B000 - Ex/Si/Del Sol Si

So as long as you have a "A" transmission in the car and thats what you ordered that will work, but if not you can switch your gear sets out to a different case and will have to switch the bearing on the countershaft.

Edit your going to need a tube of hondabond, its $5-10 bucks and its necisary over the parts store brands (the ones I tried) because it will not leak like the others. Its just better so get it.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: tranny case (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can replace that part easy. Just as long as the other case is from a D-series it will fit fine. All you need is a 12mm wrench/ratchet, snap ring plyers, and a tube of sealant to seal the new case on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can not believe you said that, sheesh, you didnt learn anything.

Anyway, no you cant put any D series casing on any D series. Main problem is the input shaft bearings are different sizes and there not interchangeable. Like Nocturnal said look at the stamp. The stamp is right next to where the pass side axle goes in. Its a small circle stamp saying P20 then under that will say b000 or a000.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny case (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All D-series cases are NOT the same. On the outside they look the same and bolt to the motors the same but Internally they take different bearings for the differental, unput shaft and thats all I can verify 100% but why would anything else be different so assume all the bearings are different.

Theres two different cases the:
P20-A000 - Dx/Cx/Lx
P20-B000 - Ex/Si/Del Sol Si

So as long as you have a "A" transmission in the car and thats what you ordered that will work, but if not you can switch your gear sets out to a different case and will have to switch the bearing on the countershaft.

Edit your going to need a tube of hondabond, its $5-10 bucks and its necisary over the parts store brands (the ones I tried) because it will not leak like the others. Its just better so get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can not believe you said that, sheesh, you didnt learn anything.

Anyway, no you cant put any D series casing on any D series. Main problem is the input shaft bearings are different sizes and there not interchangeable. Like Nocturnal said look at the stamp. The stamp is right next to where the pass side axle goes in. Its a small circle stamp saying P20 then under that will say b000 or a000. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, this is what I thought.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all of the help the tranny's are both z6 tranny's. um i have no way of getting hold of the hondabond cuz im doing it today and the closest honda place is bout hour and a half away and there closed. so im using something called hyerglen or some ****. its a very good sealent. so its a pretty simple task to do?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is fairly simple. Don't let the internals of the tranny intimidate you. If you have problems removing the c-clip, search for it. I know there are several threads about how to get it out. There are also 3 bolts with springs and small metal ***** at the end that are a function of the shift forks, make sure you don't lose the springs or *****. You might want to search for removing a tranny case just to get oriented if you have any trouble. BauleyCivic did a write-up about removing tranny and inspecting input shaft bearing, but it talks about taking apart the tranny case. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update: pulled the tranny case off of it and looked it over. had a tranny repair guy that is a good freind of mine and told me i got screwed over because 4 out of the 6 bearings in it are bad and that i might get 10,000 miles out of it before it is in worse condition than mine!!! so if the seller doesnt help me out here i am gonna have to end up saying his name because i dont want him to do this to nebody else!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 11-21-2005, 12:53 PM

You might have been better off just ordering new bearings from honda, I think at most they were $35 a piece when I did my trans.

Check out http://www.majectichonda.com for the prices on new ones, you'll feel better having new ones in there anyway. Its not very hard to change them out either.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanted to do that at first but i didnt have the money to have a tranny guy work on it so i bought a used one that was suppose to be"in good working order" but it is know where near that!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM

You dont need a trany guy to swap out bearings, you just need acceas to a press.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we could do 3 out of the 4 bearings but i have no idea how to do the bearing that is on the bottom of the input shaft
Old 11-22-2005, 09:23 PM

The one thats in the case?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 PM

Number 9 in this pic?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea isnt it if thats bad you can sway the shaft a little to each side??? thats also the shaft that comes out on the other side of the tranny right??? if so then yea it is the one that sits in the housing. the big one on that shaft is bad and the two on top of the shaft right next to that are also bad.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o and by the way the seller was shauniewalnuts here is the last couple of messages:

6:42 AM 11/20/2005) shauniewalnuts: nope the tranny was perfect... nop bolts broke off it might be on of the bolts thatheld the mount on
(12:05 PM 11/21/2005) sohctodohc: really. so why is it i had a tranny repair man come in. he looked at the tranny and 2nd gear teeth are worn down. and 4 out of the 6 bearings in the tranny are shot. he said i might be able to drive on it for 10000 miles but it will act up after that???
(2:52 PM 11/21/2005) shauniewalnuts: ok how come it work fine when we had it... we ran hadnt ever ran into any problems with it no grinding nothing and first off the teeth on the gears dont get ground up its the syncros so i dont know what tranny shop you brought it to... and not to be a dick but i said i had no problems with it at all so why would i even take it apart to check bearings if they apparently worked fine
(1:38 PM 11/22/2005) sohctodohc: haha yes the synchros are the first to go but after many miles on a tranny the gears teeth are gonna take a beeting to. and i swear to god 4 out of the 6 bearings are shot i dont care if you said there was no problems with it i got it had it inspected and now there is numerous problems with it.
(5:09 PM 11/22/2005) shauniewalnuts: hmm well that is news to me well good luck with it... i guess they are rebuilding it so it will be basically brand new
(10:19 PM 11/22/2005) sohctodohc: wow to back your item. your just gonna not give a **** huh? wow thats really shitty of you.

it sucks that i have to do that but he didnt back his **** so now im sorry if this happens to neone else
Old 11-23-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a rotten deal, I understand how you feel and I hope I'm not in the same boat as you when I pick one up.

You can change all the bearings out yourself, for the one inside the case on the input shaft, that's the infamous input shaft bearing that goes bad. There is a write-up on here that BauleyCivic did I believe that tells you how to replace it. You do have to take the gear assemblies out, but it's not really that hard. It's hard not to be intimidated by the internals of a tranny, but it's not that bad. I rebuilt on myself a couple years ago.

As for the other bearings, you'll likely need a press to get the other ones off. You should be able to take it to a machine shop and have them press the old ones off and the new ones on.

I know you said you didn't want to spend money to rebuild it, but if you have a working tranny in the car now, just rebuild it as it's convenient for you. Eventually you'll have a new tranny.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: tranny case