Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tow truck messed up my lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow truck messed up my lip

Long story short my car got seized I went to get it today and my spoon style cf Lip was soooo messed up. I had very minor cracks in the lip previous like hairline cracks that were hardly noticeable. When I signed what I thought was a receipt to get my car back it comes out with 3 dime to quarter size chunks of clear coat just missing from the lip. I am sooo angry you can tell that it was because of the car being improperly put on a flat bed. I am soo angry I went to the police station to file a complaint against the tow company and they pretty much laughed at me and told me there was nothing they could do. This is after they arrested me for drag racing when I was going 50 in a 45 behind 3 domestic cars that were going 80 10-15 cars ahead. It sucks because I spend my hard earned money on the lip and now it is ruined. The tow company is obviously denying it. Is there anyway that I could take the tow company to court without a lawyer or pub defender. I am already getting an attorney to get me out of the drage racing BS. I really do not want to pay out of pocket for another attorney over a couple hundred dollar lip but I am am soo upset because my car should have not been towed in the first place. Anyones help / opinion will be appreciated I just want to take care of this.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tow truck messed up my lip

i mean you could try small claims court...but i dunno how far you will get. ha...drag racing?? that sucks...i got pulled over for racing also charged with wreckless..to fast for cond and was on a susp. ls. good thing i got a dope *** lawyer!!! but yea...i wouldent even try to mess with takin them to court. it will prolly be more aggravation than just getting a new lip.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, sorry to hear you got caught when you weren't even racing.

It looks like you are screwed though on the lip. I'm not legal expert, but here's what I see.

First off, you already made your best case for why you shouldn't bother: legal fees. By the time your done (if you even could find a way to get money from them), you will be in the negative. Second, sounds like your chances of fighting the tow company are slim to none. They will deny it because there is no real proof. Its word against word.

Basically, you are just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another if you really want one (or repair it, if there is a way). It sucks, but that's a risk you take when you add those things to a low car. My Accord isn't even that low and I already lost one lip to a giant raccoon. Mine aren't the expensive CF ones, but I do feel a slight bit of your pain.

Good luck man.

Last edited by Bwill9886; 05-03-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

your screwed on the lip.
but fight the racing charge and sue them.

its the price you pay, for moding your car.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I was livid I mean at first when I got arrested for absolutely no reason, but when I got my car back and the lip was messed up pretty bad it just mad me even more upset. My car should not have been towed in the first place and it is BS that I have to deal with this. I have a good attorney lined up for the racing but like many of you said I will have to bit the bullet on the lip.

You could not have said it better man that is what I get for having a modded car, a nice looking civic that I put my time money and love into. I thought I was dreaming when I was arrested, I cannot even drive my car with fear of being pulled over and harassed.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i am no legal expert either but i would say fight the charge
for one what does the report say on how fast you was going ????
because they can not say really anything about drag racing unless the clocked you really or reckless driving,
this is what i was told by a cop that pulled me over for going 80mph on the freeway
he said " you're lucky i did not have the speed gun on you for your speed but i will tell you because if i did then you would have to pay for speeding on a 65mph zone"

and for the lip check this out i have no idea if it would work but if you have any time stamped photos of your car with the lip get them and show them to the tow company because if the damage is noticeable just by looking at it from far away and it is not in the photo that may pay for the damages they made to the lip.

oh and it does suck that we people that do racing legally, can not drive down the street with out being stereo typed with the idiots that **** everything up. so we get pulled for driving s honda's!!! damn fast and the furious.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i work for a tow company. i tow lowered cars with wheel lifts not even flatbeds. i can tell you that you can have pics earlier in the day and it dont mean nothing. you would have to take a pic before the car is put on the truck and after its removed form the truck. like someone said word v word. tow company almost always wins. what you can do is contact your insurance let them know whats going on and they will actually go after the tow company.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's what i see. **** the police and **** tow company's. go to the tow companies yard after hours and set there building on fire, molotov cocktail to a roof makes of shingles go up faster than the space shuttle.
as for the pigs, there's nothing you can do. i always preferred ripping through town on my quad doing wheelies past them while giving the finger then dip off into the woods. usually makes me feel better. just my .02. you dont like it blow me
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raiden571
here's what i see. **** the police and **** tow company's. go to the tow companies yard after hours and set there building on fire, molotov cocktail to a roof makes of shingles go up faster than the space shuttle.
as for the pigs, there's nothing you can do. i always preferred ripping through town on my quad doing wheelies past them while giving the finger then dip off into the woods. usually makes me feel better. just my .02. you dont like it blow me
I like this.

But I don't like the very likely resulting jail time.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Master Detailer

sue them...
face man you have a honda lol the police already dont like us.
just this friday this happend.

my friend and i were pulled over on saturday night about 1:30 am there was 3 cars mine, his civic, and this girls integra.
when they pulled us over they put me and my friend is hand cuffs and said we were being detained for street racing. well after we bitched at them for about an hour they said that we went being arrested but we still ended up sitting there for 3 hours while they searched through ours car. ( thank god only 1 ticket for a broken tail light lol)
but the integra was towed.
while the car was in locked up someone stole her ipod, skunk 2 shift **** and a bunch of other crap, oh also lip and bumper are destroyed. also rear bumper is cracked.
the company said tuff **** deal with it WE DID NOT DO IT.
the car is still in jail and she is out almost 1300 so far.
just thouht id share that your not the only one that gets messed with sorry to steal the thread
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to be honest Raiden 571 idea has the most likely out come of all the post nothings gunna happen besides that the police will end up getting sick of hearing you bitch and just pull you over when ever you see you again . becuz we drive hondas and the tow company will get a real atempt to f@#k your car up next time let it go re shoot the lip man let it go not worth it been there to many times b4
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Master Detailer

yes, but they still did not have the right to arreset him when he did noihting wrong.
and the fact the his car was damaged....
sue the police man, make them pay for the lip, cause its there fault she was impounded.
we were told 30 days before we can get the car out, and we have to pay for it!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
hj2
Honda-Tech Member

honestly dude count ur losses

or at least make a deal with your lawyer. some, and a slim some, wont take money from you if you dont win ur case. thats what i heard anyway
Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fact is your not gonna get **** out of either of them.
in the grand scheme of things, that lip isnt **** to them, and the fact that its after market doesnt help either.
and getting a lawyer and going through all the bullshit isnt worth the time or effort either over a measly 100-200 dollar lip.
you can either waste you time or just let it go.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if your tow company told you that if your car is one of those low ones they aren't responsible for any damages to the front bumper. When my hatch broke down and I called them and all I said was Honda Civic hatchback and the dood said if its low they aren't responsible for damages. So basiclly thats probably what they would say to you too.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i never had a tow truck mess up my car and its pretty low with a lip. al the tow companys i call use the type that have the forks that lock around the wheels.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but it depends if the guy is good or not and just to make a comment on the guy that had the integra taken for one by law law inforcement does not have the right to search a persons vehicle at all unless permission is granted and also as well even if you do not give them permission they have to get a search warrant just to look in the car!!! that is law !!!!
but not many people no about that law.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear what happened...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by monkey_boi
yeah but it depends if the guy is good or not and just to make a comment on the guy that had the integra taken for one by law law inforcement does not have the right to search a persons vehicle at all unless permission is granted and also as well even if you do not give them permission they have to get a search warrant just to look in the car!!! that is law !!!!
but not many people no about that law.
First off, very sorry about what happened, hopefully one day they will get what is coming to them. I personally would be really tempted to screw with them. I have spoken to a couple of guys that do repo work and some of them seem to enjoy screwing people, vandalizing their cars and stuff. One guy told me they picked up what they considered to be a rice rocket, and they actually took the time to pull out the seats and stereo and drop them off at good will. Sounds like a tall tale, but I would not be suprised. Repo guys dont give a **** about your car, and tow truck drivers probably only do when its like a AAA pick up or somethin.

And regarding this other post, its true they can't search your car without permission unless they have "probable cause" ... if they have any reason to believe that they could find something illegal in your car, they will invite themselves. Basically if they can give a good story to a judge as to why they thought they had good reason to search, at that point your rights become void in that regard.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raiden571
Intelligence at its best.

OP, Your lip got broke, your lucky that's all that happened. Be thankful it wasn't worse than that.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car was towed at rodrun in pigeon forge, tn for being parked in the wrong spot. rod run is pretty much all domestic cars. there were domestics parked all around me and mine was the only one to get towed. they ****ed up my front bumper but its on the under side so cant really tell.